Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Built 2 new PCs. Both cannot access external hard drive I used to backup files: I built two identical computers for my wife and kid for Christmas. I installed Windows 10 Home using the Windows 7 keys from their old rigs. I wanted to transfer files that I backed up from the external hard drive back onto their computers. Neither PC can access the external hard drive. When I plug the drive in, Windows recognizes it and after like 30 seconds the drive letter will appear under My Computer. However, unlike the other hard drives there is no indication of the size of the drive and if I try to view the contents I get an error saying "D drive is not accessible". The Toshiba 2Tb USB powered hard drive works on our other computers, just not the newly built ones.

Attempted fixes: I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of the USB drivers in device manager. As soon as I uninstall the USB controller, Windows automatically reinstalls drivers for all of my USB devices. I've downloaded all of the drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's website. I went into bios and tried disabling USB legacy compatibility to see if it were affecting anything. I tried all of the USB 3.0 ports AND the single USB 2.0 port to see if it were a power problem. I can access my thumb drive from the same ports which led me to think maybe it was a power issue. However, the hard drive doesn't work using the USB 2.0 port in the back of the PC either so I don't know.

Recent changes: I just built these computers last night and installed Windows 10 Home last night. I ran Ninite and installed browsers and a few commonly used programs. I installed the Nvidia drivers for the video card.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home X64
System specs:
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case Corsair Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

This must have been a driver issue after all. I tried reformatting. I tried changing the SATA settings in BIOS. I looked at permissions to make sure the computer had read/write access. I used Teamviewer and had my little brother look at it with me but neither of us could figure anything out. Ten minutes later a Windows update finishes installing and I get a message to restart the computer. As soon as the message goes away the PC recognized the hard drive and I could access it's contents without a problem.

• Locked thread