Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sankis posted:

I had an aversion to pvp when I was younger so I missed out on most of Darktide but I did have a "Hill person" and took part in some raids. Those were hilarious. I still vividly recall 20 or 30 of us level 1-3ish guys with clubs surrounding some 70+ mage and just beating him to death

This owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I played UO as a kid, but my computer at the time couldn't handle Asheron's call or maybe I just couldn't convince my dad to let me use his credit card to sub, I'm not sure. But I got a copy of a printed strategy book for Asheron's call somewhere. Probably Ollie's, a large discount chain. I had a lot of fun just reading through that as a kid and imagining playing the computer game. Then I tried it in like 2011 or something and could only stand it for day. Wish I had stuck with it a bit now, hearing that it will be gone.

This was the book here - https://www.amazon.com/Asherons-Cal...n%27s+call+book

You can almost pinpoint the moment the web started to take over as the place to find game info. The reviews for this book get markedly worse around 2001.

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 21, 2016

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

fast cars loose anus posted:

Thistledown was also the server that got the monument!

So there was this event where there were these shards, that if they were all destroyed would spawn a supposedly world-ending boss. You got cool loot if you blew up the last one. But, since the story was that destroying this shard would bring in a monster, players could go PVP and choose to defend the crystal if they wanted to. On most servers, the shard was killed quickly despite player opposition. Thistledown server defended it so well that the devs actually had to spawn in with unbeatable monsters to actually get it destroyed.

As a result of this, the devs made a monument that existed only on Thistledown that listed the names of every single player who participated in the defense. Nothing like that happens in MMOs anymore.

So many cool events. Remember how during the one event one of the weather conditions was blood rain? I remember nexus armor going for thousands on ebay, there was quite a thriving AC market on ebay.. I remember camping outside of a little housing complex outside Glendenwoods and chilling with a bunch of other people waiting for the housing update to go live. Then scrambling when it turned out you needed a randomly generated item like a gromnie tooth or some poo poo. Right when I got it I spilled soda on my laptop and was praying it didn't crap out before I made it back to the house so I could buy it. Luckily it waited until I bought it to shut down.

Biggest gaming hero moment I ever had was in AC. This girl I met randomly when waiting for the housing to go live died deep inside the last dungeon for the Shadow Helm in some trap and couldn't get the big group together to retrieve her corpse. She lost a whole set of green yoroi armor she loved and was screwed. The quest required two teams in separate dungeons pulling levers that open doors in the opposite dungeon. You had to coordinate both teams to make it through the timed doors on each side. So I portal tied to one dungeon and recalled to the other and ran back and forth between each dungeon pulling the levers and sprinting through the other dungeon to make it through each door before the timer reset all of the doors. Problem is the farther in you go the longer it takes to run through. Plus I couldn't solo a quest dungeon like that so I had to dodge shadows throwing spells at me too. I saw the body on the other side of the last door and made it through just as the doors closed behind me Indiana Jones style. So she gave me looking permission and I grabbed the armor and was king poo poo for a week. Favorite game memory ever.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
ahhh that sucks, cool people know that AC was secretly the best MMO out of the original big 3 (EQ + UO were the others) It was so far ahead of the competition in a lot of ways and had a lot of poo poo that new MMOs still havent copied. I wish more MMOs would have ripped off AC instead of them all ripping of EQ and later WoW.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Spoke Lee posted:

So many cool events. Remember how during the one event one of the weather conditions was blood rain? I remember nexus armor going for thousands on ebay, there was quite a thriving AC market on ebay.. I remember camping outside of a little housing complex outside Glendenwoods and chilling with a bunch of other people waiting for the housing update to go live. Then scrambling when it turned out you needed a randomly generated item like a gromnie tooth or some poo poo. Right when I got it I spilled soda on my laptop and was praying it didn't crap out before I made it back to the house so I could buy it. Luckily it waited until I bought it to shut down.

Biggest gaming hero moment I ever had was in AC. This girl I met randomly when waiting for the housing to go live died deep inside the last dungeon for the Shadow Helm in some trap and couldn't get the big group together to retrieve her corpse. She lost a whole set of green yoroi armor she loved and was screwed. The quest required two teams in separate dungeons pulling levers that open doors in the opposite dungeon. You had to coordinate both teams to make it through the timed doors on each side. So I portal tied to one dungeon and recalled to the other and ran back and forth between each dungeon pulling the levers and sprinting through the other dungeon to make it through each door before the timer reset all of the doors. Problem is the farther in you go the longer it takes to run through. Plus I couldn't solo a quest dungeon like that so I had to dodge shadows throwing spells at me too. I saw the body on the other side of the last door and made it through just as the doors closed behind me Indiana Jones style. So she gave me looking permission and I grabbed the armor and was king poo poo for a week. Favorite game memory ever.

The beta event where a giant meteor came and killed everyone while we were dancing in the middle of that Sho town with the big rock will forever be the single greatest moment in any game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Once or twice a year i log back into runescape and try remember how i ever enjoyed playing it. The combat is terrible, the quests are boring, and nobody actually talks to each other. I don't know how it's still alive.

• Locked thread