Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Problem description:

I am trying to install a new video card (Geforce GTX 1060), but my computer won't pass POST or enter the BIOS while the card is in the PCI-Ex slot. When I turn on the computer, the card lights up, the fans spin and the pre-POST Intel logo screen comes up, but it is just stuck there.

Previously I had a Geforce GTX 560 card, and it took two 6-pin power connector and it worked normally. This new card takes a 8-pin connector, and it my PSU has a 6-pin connector with two more hanging off of it. I only tried booting with these connectors on. The owner manual mentions that the card needs a minimum of a 400W power supply, but nominally my PSU is 430W, but now I suspect my PSU is just not up to par anymore and I need to replace it.

Attempted fixes:

I checked if the connections (both on the PCI slot and in the power connectors) were good. They looked good to me, but since this is my first time swapping parts on my PC, I could have missed something loose.
Also tested the PC without the external video card, and it POSTed normally, so that's a relief.

Recent changes:

Yes, replaced a Geforce GTX 560 with a Geforce GTX 1060.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs:
Reading off the original quote:

Mobo Intel 1155P DH67BL
Processor Intel 1155P Core i5 3570 3.4Ghz
HDD Western Digital 500GB
PSU ATX 430W Real Corsair 430CXV2 (CMPSU-430CXV2)
Video card Zotac Geforce GTX 560 1GB DDR5 256bit 4008MHz (Currently not connected)
RAM 2x DDR3 4096 1333 Kingston

This was quoted and built in 2012.

Additionally:

Video card EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB (Currently not connected)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

---

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to need to upgrade the power supply as well as the video card, but I suspect that's the issue here.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS installed? The changelog lists a fixed bug where the system wouldn't POST with a PCI-Express 3.0 videocard.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Alereon posted:

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS installed? The changelog lists a fixed bug where the system wouldn't POST with a PCI-Express 3.0 videocard.

I don't. I will try this tomorrow evening and report back. Thanks.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I tried updating using the express install and it fails to install:

None of the troubleshooting steps apply. In my case, when the computer reboots and changes to the updating screen, the update tries to apply itself but it reboots the computer without any message, and then that one shows up when Windows reboots.

Should I try using the other options or it doesn't matter?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 21, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Update the BIOS using the F7 method they describe.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwGVXD7qEQ

sorry for the phantom menace clip

How did you know that that was the issue and why I didn't come across it while googling?! You are a goddamn wizard. Thank you!!

I only have to download the drivers and it's good for :pcgaming:

Thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Glad that it's working! It's not too uncommon to need a BIOS update to use hardware that has significantly evolved from when the motherboard was released (you always need a BIOS update for a CPU upgrade). I checked the BIOS changelog and saw that mentioned in a previous release, but even if it wasn't specifically mentioned I would have recommended trying it on general principle.

• Locked thread