Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The plot of Moana is very conventional, perfectly conforming to the Hero's Journey template. Still, there are novelities. The heroes are Polynesian. Americans don't have much of a shared history with Polynesians and they were never a touchy subject like the Native Americans, so it's no surprise there wasn't as much fuss here as when Disney released Pocahontas. The other novelty is that Moana is a girl yet she is being groomed to be the next chief of her tribe rather than a bride for some prince. Elsa also becomes a queen but it was cool to see Moana being trained in leadership skills, and that I believe makes her the most empowering feminist character in the Disney catalog. Another thing is that the male lead, Maui, is ugly. It's clear just from the poster that there wasn't going to be a romance between him and Moana. Disney princes tend to be slender and handsome, whereas Maui has a body to rival the Incredible Hulk and an uglier face. Anna, Tiana, and Rapunzel all got handsome boyfriends as a side benefit of their personal adventure. Moana doesn't get anything except strength of character.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there value in presenting those two ideas as normal?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It felt kind of half-baked, with everything between meeting The Rock and fighting the fire monster seeming like filler; the coconut gremlins were kind of cool but felt shoehorned in and the giant enemy crab's pointless song and scene went on far too long. Why does Maui need a subplot where he suddenly has trouble shapeshifting due to a drop in confidence that doesn't seem authentic? Other than that it's a perfectly fine Disney movie and could've used some rewrites to make the second act feel like a more coherent narrative.

(I also think the ending should've been Moana using the ocean to kill Tafiti and using the heart to usurp her role as a goddess, kind of like the Tribunal in Elder Scrolls 3. Though that's more of a personal opinion on the story and doesn't affect my review)