Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The 2015 Golden Wonderhangers thread is this way

Hello, and welcome to the second annual Golden Wonderhanger* awards!

Modeled after D&D's Gay Abortions Awards, the Golden Wonderhangers are BFC's opportunity to commemorate the year in Bad With Money. There are 8 categories, including the Worst With Money grand prize :toot:

The Process
Anyone who wishes to submit nominations has until 23:59 Central on January 2 to post their nominees. For each category, quote a single post from 2016. You don't have to have a nominee for each category. Every poster is allowed one post in which they nominate submissions. If you'd like to add to or change your nominees, please edit that post before 23:59 Central on January 2.

Voting will begin immediately after the submissions are compiled into the post below this one. The votes will be tallied and results will be announced by whenever I get around to it in January. Probably like a week later since I gotta move into the house I just bought (nominate me :v:). Vote for each category by naming the category and the letter indicating that item (you'll see what I mean when I compile the nominations).

The Judges
Your judges are me and Nail Rat. The judges may agree to veto any submission, or trim a list if there are too many nominees. Please ask me if you have questions about the Golden Wonderhangers Awards or any part of the nomination and voting processes.

What to do
Please quote or link posts from 2015 for each of the categories you want to nominate in. Remember, you don't have to do every category if you don't have nominations for each one.
Please save discussions, advocacy, etc for until the nomination period is complete. I'm not gonna be a hardass about this but it helps keep the thread cleaner.
Nominations must connect to something that occurred on SA in 2016. For example, a blog post from 2013 is fair game if it was discussed on SA in 2016. A crowdfunding plea from three weeks ago is invalid if it was not discussed anywhere on SA before I posted this thread.

The Categories
  • Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
  • Funniest Redditor
  • Worst mainstream media article
  • Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
  • Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
  • Best (worst?) derail
  • Most eyerolling humblebrag

We will also award an overall grand prize to the Worst With Money example out of all of these. I'll explain how this is determined once it's time for voting.

OK, get to nominating! This OP is mainly copied from last year's and seems to have worked well, but please tell me if there's anything you don't understand and I'll fix it.

*If you don't know, search "zaurg"

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

reserved

vvvvv Thanks for the sticky :respek:

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 24, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Superb!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Will update as I flip through bookmarks.

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread blue story was a bit of a trainwreck, also the train cars were filled with burning tires.
Funniest Redditor patronizing rear end in a top hat idiot convinces his independently wealthy girlfriend to dump his dumb rear end
Worst mainstream media article concur with this assessment
Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote "Personal submarine purchased with AOL merger funds"
Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA tbd
Best (worst?) derail always horsechat. horsechat is love. horsechat is life.
Most eyerolling humblebrag tbd
Worst With Money (overall grand prize) A man with crippling mental issues that preclude regular employment wants take over dad's business anyways. He currently works for free in this "business", which involves drop-shipping IPTV things in an already saturated market. Except instead of dropshipping, dad buys inventory (plus office space and a website he's getting milked on). It's okay though because it's only like 100k worth of debt and is "a good investment" because they have webcams or some poo poo on them. Except that 100k is for the business only and doesn't include the quarter mil of unsecured cash advances from credit cards largely taken out in the name of his wife that he wants to divorce so he can continue to gently caress other women. Read all about it!

We may have to revisit that last one in 84 years for wonderhanger of the century.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 2, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Guest2553 posted:

Will update as I flip through bookmarks.

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
Funniest Redditor patronizing rear end in a top hat idiot convinces his independently wealthy girlfriend to dump his dumb rear end

Cowofwar has a pretty legit humblebrag a few posts after that. I read bfc for these great nuggets as I do the terrible Reddit links.

Can there be a specific category for knyteguy?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Funniest Redditor
"Hay guys I just blew all the money I had in the world on plane tickets to :siren: GLORIOUS NIPPON :siren:. Oh help, now I have no money for food or anything at all! How do I become a prostitute or drug runner?"
They melted down and deleted the post and their account, but you can see some of the OP here.

Worst mainstream media article
Hipster millennials should never eat out so that they can afford to make a down payment on the houses that my generation are selling to them at 10x median salary! Waaaahhh!

Best (worst?) derail
Any derail where some idiot continued the derail and then at the end of their lovely post said "But let's not continue this derail" or "Derail over" or some other "I want the last word" poo poo like that.

Most eyerolling humblebrag
I'd like to nominate Boon's entire posting history in this thread but if that's not allowed, then this post. "I made a profit on the stock market! Fellate me, goons!"

Worst With Money (overall grand prize)
The Entire Population of the United States of America

vvvv you don't have to be Jamie Oliver to be a food critic. t:)

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 25, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread: Houseboat
Funniest Redditor: This post. "Thinking that a summation of 30 years of payments is a useful number is pretty BWM."
Worst mainstream media article: Rick Ross breaks horses back. "Sometimes you just gotta throw the whole horse away." Post here.
Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote: That lady who was crowd funding to get the 420 tattoo removed from her forehead.
Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA: BlueStory I guess? I hope someone else can come up with better nominee.
Best (worst?) derail: Best Derail: Horses all day every day WINNER EVERY YEAR. Worst derail: every insufferable contribution to "what is rich." Nominees are everybody that contributed that bullshit on pages 711-715: BEHOLD:MY CAPE, Tiny Brontosaurus, monster on a stick, potatoducks, Leon Trotsky 2012, Guiness, WampaLord, Krispy Kareem, cowofwar, LLCoolJD, JUST MAKING CHILI, Cockmaster, MrKatharsis, TheQuietWilds (some posts are less bad than others; all contributed to an awful 5 page derail). But Tiny Brontosaurus wins the worst for not getting or making jokes.
Most eyerolling humblebrag: Every time Weatherman chimes in solely to call out a humblebrag without contributing anything else to the thread (wait does that count?)
Worst With Money (overall grand prize): Rita Crundwell

Also I want to honorable mention this quote: "A hobby involves creating, not consuming."

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks to everyone who's nominated so far. There are still lots of good items out there for all the categories, so keep submitting your nominations!

As a reminder, your nomination needs to either link or quote a post to be included for voting. The only category where this rule doesn't apply is the derail one.

Also, I accidentally included "Worst With Money (overall grand prize)" as a category. You actually don't need to nominate anything for this; we'll decide this during the voting. I've edited the OP to clarify.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Funniest Redditor $280K in mostly private loans for art school to learn you don't like computer animation.

Worst mainstream media article: I am the single mother who took out a loan with 300% interest to move to SF to begin training December 1st at Yelp and uprooted my 3 year old from everything he knows.

Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote: Blackmet has a friend with a pregnant wife and no money opening a barcade.

Best (worst?) derail: Horsechat: Pyramid Scheme Edition

Most eyerolling humblebrag: Radbot can't complain about his 2016 Chevy Cruze leasing achievement. (Lol, just saw he's working off a 4121 day probation.)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not gonna lie, kinda sad this didn't go anywhere :(

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Me too :-(

Maybe it's too depressing

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Too many categories. I can barely remember a single post from december.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It'd work better if you didn't have to dig through 50 pages of marriagechat and horsechat to quote/link the BWM. The Gay Abortions have it easier since people can just save the comic to their computer until it's award time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

potatoducks posted:

Too many categories. I can barely remember a single post from december.

Yeah this is basically it. I love the idea but I'm not going to make any effort to save posts when I originally see them and double extra not going to make any effort to sift through the BWM thread to find the ones I kinda-sorta remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm sorry, I died for awhile. I'm going to rethink the best way to honor the worst with money, but I don't think this format is it.

• Locked thread