Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Problem description: Bought a used iMAC 2010 27 inch, wouldn't boot up, opened it up and found it missing a hard drive. Ordered a Samsung EVO 850 and installed it with the OWC install kit.

Attempted fixes: If I try the snow leopard install disc it just hangs at Loading System\extensions.mkext. If I toss in my windows 7 install disk it boots from CD fine and I can see the new SSD. I can't get apple hardware test to load or get into recovery or disk utilities. Any action just hangs, and verbose just shows it hanging at the extensions.mkext.

Recent changes: No changes since this was a used iMac and a gamble purchase I did from thrift store.
--

Operating system: Installing from brand new Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install CD

System specs: iMAC 27Mid 2010 Core i3 with 4 Gigs of ram.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, and I'm stuck. I've built plenty of PCs but this is my first attempt at doing anything with a mac.

Here is a pic of where it hangs.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Would a firmware restoration correct an issue like this?

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Its probably the wrong version of snow leopard. Do you have the install disk for the machine? Or, do you have an installer for lion?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
A lot more was wrong with this, finally got back to work on it last night and my windows install on this work but then it just died, doesn't even power up anymore. I've given up on it.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

iMacs of that era are under a HDD recall; there's a good chance the hard drive has died.
Edit: Oh poo poo, you replaced that. The temp sensor stuck to the old drive HAS to be in place; if you didn't see a cable around the HDD bay, they probably didn't replace it.

Start up the Mac holding Command + Option + P + R, all four keys, before you hear the chime. Sometimes a Perimeter RAM reset works wonders on Macs of this generation.

If you have another Mac, try making an install disk of a supported OS with Disk Maker X and run Disk Utility in that environment to check it out. I recommend Yosemite if you have an App Store copy, as Disk Utility in El Cap/Sierra really, really sucks.

• Locked thread