Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It is Christmastime, and the spirit of charity yet dwells in the hearts of men. We forlorn souls, peering endlessly into luminous lenses, may at times not see the true light that shines within the hearts and eyes of the good, of the giving, of the generous.

The dark chill of winter envelops us all, but there are those who brave the cold, and the dark, and bring to those who need a small parcel of joy, a flickering ember of hope, and it is all we can do, clutching to this rock adrift in the cosmos, to nurture that hope, to nurture that love, and to be as good as we can be.

Merry Christmas, everyone.
And a happy New Year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Shut the gently caress up

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
shut up only becaus of the explosions in the sky crap, the inpost sentiment is fine

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

shut up only becaus of the explosions in the sky crap, the inpost sentiment is fine

lol if you've never made tender love to the woman of your dreams while listening to Explosions in the Sky

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hey this is like legit my favorite album good thread title

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i lust for cop death

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I hope someone writes this on a coffee cup for me and then I throw the coffee in some retail workers face for not having the thing I want.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Agreed op. Agreed.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Humanity is basically just a yeast infection for the earth that will eventually clear itself up.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vakal posted:

Humanity is basically just a yeast infection for the earth that will eventually clear itself up.

But without yeast you wouldn't have bread and without bread you wouldn't have delicious delicious cinnamon buns.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But without yeast you wouldn't have bread and without bread you wouldn't have delicious delicious cinnamon buns.

the proper answer is without yeast there would be no booze with which to deaden the pain of this cold, unfeeling world

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Earth gay, so what.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
'Noggin & Morgan, good band too

Merry Christmas y'all

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the earth will actually be a hot dead place

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It is Christmastime, and the spirit of charity yet dwells in the hearts of men. We forlorn souls, peering endlessly into luminous lenses, may at times not see the true light that shines within the hearts and eyes of the good, of the giving, of the generous.

The dark chill of winter envelops us all, but there are those who brave the cold, and the dark, and bring to those who need a small parcel of joy, a flickering ember of hope, and it is all we can do, clutching to this rock adrift in the cosmos, to nurture that hope, to nurture that love, and to be as good as we can be.

And a happy New Year!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=748_1406989704

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

the proper answer is without yeast there would be no booze with which to deaden the pain of this cold, unfeeling world

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The earth is not a cold, dead place...

Yet.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

lol if you've never made tender love to the woman of your dreams while listening to Explosions in the Sky

Thank you for making me cry because my ex liked this band.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SHISHKABOB posted:

Thank you for making me cry because my ex liked this band.

Mine too.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Dw guys as they say there's plenty of pussy in the forest

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Explosions in Her Pie.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

Explosions in Her Pie.

You

You're alright

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I kinda thought explosions in the sky took that tile from somewhere else but a fine reference indeed.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Moon Atari posted:

Explosions in Her Pie.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ur mom's cooch is a cold, dead place but it is still very welcoming to all comers

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And a happy New Year!

The majority of people spoil their lives by an unhealthy and exaggerated altruism – are forced, indeed, so to spoil them. They find themselves surrounded by hideous poverty, by hideous ugliness, by hideous starvation. It is inevitable that they should be strongly moved by all this. The emotions of man are stirred more quickly than man’s intelligence; and, as I pointed out some time ago in an article on the function of criticism, it is much more easy to have sympathy with suffering than it is to have sympathy with thought. Accordingly, with admirable, though misdirected intentions, they very seriously and very sentimentally set themselves to the task of remedying the evils that they see. But their remedies do not cure the disease: they merely prolong it. Indeed, their remedies are part of the disease.

They try to solve the problem of poverty, for instance, by keeping the poor alive; or, in the case of a very advanced school, by amusing the poor.

But this is not a solution: it is an aggravation of the difficulty. The proper aim is to try and reconstruct society on such a basis that poverty will be impossible. And the altruistic virtues have really prevented the carrying out of this aim. Just as the worst slave-owners were those who were kind to their slaves, and so prevented the horror of the system being realised by those who suffered from it, and understood by those who contemplated it, so, in the present state of things in England, the people who do most harm are the people who try to do most good; and at last we have had the spectacle of men who have really studied the problem and know the life – educated men who live in the East End – coming forward and imploring the community to restrain its altruistic impulses of charity, benevolence, and the like. They do so on the ground that such charity degrades and demoralises. They are perfectly right. Charity creates a multitude of sins.

There is also this to be said. It is immoral to use private property in order to alleviate the horrible evils that result from the institution of private property. It is both immoral and unfair.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Sponge Baathist posted:

i lust for cop death

:yeah:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
give us another few years, we'll get there

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Moon Atari posted:

Explosions in Her Pie.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

“Oh! captive, bound, and double-ironed,” cried the phantom, “not to know, that ages of incessant labour by immortal creatures, for this earth must pass into eternity before the good of which it is susceptible is all developed. Not to know that any Christian spirit working kindly in its little sphere, whatever it may be, will find its mortal life too short for its vast means of usefulness. Not to know that no space of regret can make amends for one life’s opportunity misused!"

Faaaaart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
not yet OP

• Locked thread