Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lovechop posted:

please correct me if i'm wrong (i'm a big retard who can't read so it's very possible) but your post just gave me the impression that maybe you're not a fan of jazz or you don't know it too well or something? which seems at odds with how annoyed you are at how it is used in the film.

the bit of him 'copying actual jazz' is the most real part of the movie. anyone who plays some kind of improvised music knows the pain of transcribing difficult parts and listening to the same few seconds of a tape over and over until you get it right. it says hey, this guy is a serious musician. it immediately lets you know he's this purist, perfectionist dude. how is that 'telling'? it's just a really odd thing to say.

also, it would have been incredibly weird for the guy who wants to play super complex Art Tatum style poo poo to start dancing and singing "I love jazz!" about it. i'm incredibly glad they didn't do that because it would have been goofy as hell. they captured the way he feels perfectly well with the part where he's stuck playing those cheesy old songs until he's had enough and gets fired for playing Mia and Sebastian's theme (which is a great piece of music imo)
I love jazz, and it's pretty much the only radio station i listen to anymore. I'm pointing to that scene because it shows all he knows is to copy, which ties into me pointing out how the movie subtly celebrates appropriation. He even talks about how jazz is free and different from other music in that every musician can play what they want. The only other thing he plays besides his copied music, is city of Stars, which is not the free jazz he talked about. I never said he needed to sing about his love of jazz, but the music they sing and dance should have been more typical jazz, instead there's only that one scene when they run to jazz bar during a music number and the trumpet player plays while they look on in silence. Every other scene is lame boring ball room or big band.

I like those small character moments, which is why I said it's a good movie but a bad musical.

Paolomania posted:

Also, what's with the slagging of "big band"? Jazz didn't start with bebop.

And slaves owning a drum for the first time first produced structured big band? Please. Besides that, it's nothing like the music he copies or has in his bar. In a good musical, they would have made jazz music his theme and then layered ball room on top to represent mia's influence.

Pirate Jet posted:

It's really weird how people watched La La Land and didn't seem to pick up on the fact that Seb was in the wrong the whole time.

Gotta disagree, Seb is only "wrong" in selling out. He's successful as soon as goes after his goal. The movie pretty much says the only thing stopping him was himself, while John legend has to sell out to be something.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

And slaves owning a drum for the first time first produced structured big band? Please.

What are you saying? Unlike "slaves owning a drum for the first time", big band most definitely falls under the umbrella of Jazz, easily 20 years in if you count Jelly Roll Morton as the start. Then its 20 more years before bebop comes into its own, so to ignore all that is to ignore the 40 years of musical development through the great migration and Harlem Renaissance. That is ignoring more cultural history than the entire existence of cable television.

quote:

Besides that, it's nothing like the music he copies or has in his bar. In a good musical, they would have made jazz music his theme and then layered ball room on top to represent mia's influence.

I agree with that.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

I love jazz, and it's pretty much the only radio station i listen to anymore. I'm pointing to that scene because it shows all he knows is to copy, which ties into me pointing out how the movie subtly celebrates appropriation. He even talks about how jazz is free and different from other music in that every musician can play what they want. The only other thing he plays besides his copied music, is city of Stars, which is not the free jazz he talked about. I never said he needed to sing about his love of jazz, but the music they sing and dance should have been more typical jazz, instead there's only that one scene when they run to jazz bar during a music number and the trumpet player plays while they look on in silence. Every other scene is lame boring ball room or big band.

I like those small character moments, which is why I said it's a good movie but a bad musical.

And slaves owning a drum for the first time first produced structured big band? Please. Besides that, it's nothing like the music he copies or has in his bar. In a good musical, they would have made jazz music his theme and then layered ball room on top to represent mia's influence.

Gotta disagree, Seb is only "wrong" in selling out. He's successful as soon as goes after his goal. The movie pretty much says the only thing stopping him was himself, while John legend has to sell out to be something.

Is this copy scene the one where he was listening to the record and trying to play it back? That's just a form of practicing, imitation is how you learn about different styles of playing. I was doing the same thing with Oscar Peterson records when I was a kid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What if the film doesn't actually think Seb's as cool and good and hardcore jazz as he thinks he is. :ssh:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

bushisms.txt posted:

But John Legend's character isn't "selling out", he genuinely enjoys reinventing the genre and trying a different sound. The film makes it quite clear that neither Seb nor he are in the wrong because they're both happy with the path they've chosen, which is ultimately more important than whatever financial success said path brings.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
With John Legend: Seb doesn't play "real" jazz, doesn't chase his dream, and ignores Mia (the end result being him choosing to miss her play opening for a photoshoot, a plot point that is also unearned by what is depicted on screen)

Without John Legend: Seb and Mia are together, Seb owns a jazz club, everyone is happy (the irony being, of course, that Seb wouldn't probably own that club without the money or status of being in Legend's band, but that's not necessarily supported by the film because we don't see why/how he gets there)

Unless your reading of the film is that Seb and Mia are obnoxious and shouldn't actually be together -- which I think is the best read of the film and makes it worth a second watch -- it's pretty hard to say that John Legend isn't a 'bad guy' in the movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

i am the bird posted:

Unless your reading of the film is that Seb and Mia are obnoxious and shouldn't actually be together -- which I think is the best read of the film and makes it worth a second watch -- it's pretty hard to say that John Legend isn't a 'bad guy' in the movie.

Seb is definitely obnoxious. I think the jury's out on Mia.

I take the ending to be their own regret-tinted interpretation of what could have been. I don't take it as a realistic possibility in any way, because they wouldn't have ever functioned as a couple long term.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

With John Legend: Seb doesn't play "real" jazz, doesn't chase his dream, and ignores Mia (the end result being him choosing to miss her play opening for a photoshoot, a plot point that is also unearned by what is depicted on screen)

Without John Legend: Seb and Mia are together, Seb owns a jazz club, everyone is happy (the irony being, of course, that Seb wouldn't probably own that club without the money or status of being in Legend's band, but that's not necessarily supported by the film because we don't see why/how he gets there)

He may point Seb in the "wrong" direction for a while, but that doesn't make him a bad guy. He's not in the wrong, he's not malicious, he's not even thinking just "$$$".

And like you said, Seb probably wouldn't get that club without the money. The problem is not so much that he takes the gig in the first place, but that he stays with it so long he starts to neglect what's best for his own artistic development.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
La La Land on 8-Bit Cinema

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
heh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They replaced the guys who did the earlier ones, these new ones are so uninspiring.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable posted:

They replaced the guys who did the earlier ones, these new ones are so uninspiring.

was this a jazz joke? if so sorry for the :thejoke:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wish I knew enough about jazz to joke about it but no I was just commenting on the 8-bit cinema videos, which have gone downhill since they replaced the animator and musician behind those things

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Great opening monologue moment: "What a year for the Oscars; black people saved NASA and white people saved jazz" :lol:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Bottom Liner posted:

Great opening monologue moment: "What a year for the Oscars; black people saved NASA and white people saved jazz" :lol:

Jesus lmao how many vertebrae did they have to get taken out for that piece of autofellatio

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It was tongue in cheek...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Jesus lmao how many vertebrae did they have to get taken out for that piece of autofellatio

Have you heard of jokes

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I mean things that are jokes other than yourself in every way

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Bottom Liner posted:

It was tongue in cheek...

Lmao ok. I have no context. I'm very tired.

Edit that's actually really embarrassing. Also my controllers broken and my dad works for Nintendo

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 27, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well deserved wins for score, director, actress, and best picture. Woo!

Edit holy poo poo.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 27, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad Gosling didn't win best actor, but I'm kinda pissed City Of Stars won best song, in no small part because it's really bad IMO. There are good things about La La Land but it definitely didn't deserve as much Academy attention as it got and I've kinda gotta wonder when Hollywood is gonna get embarrassed and stop overpromoting movies about itself.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ahahahaha I'm dying.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That was the hugest twist in Oscar history. :aaaaa:

For anyone reading this thread but not watching: La La Land was incorrectly announced as Best Picture because Warren Beatty was given the wrong card (it was the card for Emma Stone's best actress award). Screw up was only noticed after the LLL crew was up on stage and speeches had started. They had to interrupt the speeches and announce the real winner, Moonlight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It would have been way worse if it happened the other way around. La La Land still won 6 including some major categories and they handled that really well despite how heartbreaking it was. If Moonlight had it given then taken back people would be crying 10 times louder. Both were clearly deserving and it's nice to see the way the awards split similar to last year (Revenant winning so many but best picture going to Spotlight, a small but important film).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I liked La La Land a little better but there's already a backlash against it. Now that it hasn't hogged all the awards and another great movie won BP all that should die down.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I liked La La Land a little better but there's already a backlash against it. Now that it hasn't hogged all the awards and another great movie won BP all that should die down.

Film Twitter are the worst soccer parents. This incident can have them realize if their kid was "screwed" by the referee they would have run them over with their SUV. But since they got what they wanted, hey! Pizza and orange pop for everyone!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

21 Muns posted:

I'm glad Gosling didn't win best actor, but I'm kinda pissed City Of Stars won best song, in no small part because it's really bad IMO. There are good things about La La Land but it definitely didn't deserve as much Academy attention as it got and I've kinda gotta wonder when Hollywood is gonna get embarrassed and stop overpromoting movies about itself.

City of Stars is not only not the best original song, it's not even the best original song from La La Land, and not even the best original song from La La Land nominated for that very award.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

City of Stars is a really nice motif for the film but not really a standout song in its own right.

I'd have given it to A Lovely Night or a few Moana songs personally but I don't think the winner is poo poo or anything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Another Day of Sun is the best song on the soundtrack but Audition was way better than City of Stars and should have won since it was also nominated. It was much more central to the theme and a much better song all around. City of Stars didn't even feel like a full song until John Legend performed it last night, which was admittedly fantastic.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They also seemed to completely ignore the best part of City of Stars where it picks up a little and they're both singing. I especially like the moment when Emma Stone laughs but sings through it. A nice probably unscripted moment that really makes the whole thing just more fun and likable.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Another Day of Sun would have been a looooooot better to showcase live than whatever that thing was they did. Man was that a let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It doesn't even matter, really. Since none of the songs from Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping were nominated the whole category was a joke anyway.

• Locked thread