Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I'm wondering if there's anything else I could be checking/doing for my cat.
Nailo is 14 years old, no health problems to speak of before this.
She went to the vet today because we noticed her drooling a bit, and some of the drool being brown. We checked out her teeth for an abscess but found none.

The vet found swelling under her tongue, and so ran some bloodwork. No sign of infection was found, so the next step would be a biopsy, and then surgery if it was a tumour, which the vet says would be no guarantee to cure her, and I think at her age, might not be worth all the stress and pain. We've brought her home with anti-inflammatories to see if that helps her out, but the vet seemed to think that was a short term solution. What else could the swelling be, if not a tumour? Do cats get cold sores? Could she have had an injury in her mouth?

Here is Nailo:

Here is her bloodwork results (which I cannot read, but apparently they show she has mild parasites):

Thanks for having a look, pet-friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I had this exact same issue with my cat not long ago. It's uncanny as to how similar your issue is! But in our cat's scenario, the swelling went down on its own after several hours.

It's certainly possible that she had an injury to her mouth. In our cat's situation, the vet noticed a small red irritation in her mouth. They suspect that it might've been an insect bite, which set off the swelling as a reaction. But my hunch- my cat was chewing something that she wasn't supposed to (I had caught her chewing on some packaging from an Amazon package that had just arrived the day before), and for some reason it caused the massive swelling the next morning.

Cats don't get cold sores, but if they do have feline herpes (and if Nailo spent any time in a shelter, she probably picked it up) it can cause rashes in their face and irritation in their respiratory system.

I hope you find the cause of Nailo's swelling. Has it improved at all, ever since you've created this thread?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad your cat is okay!

To be honest, I can't see in her mouth to look at the swelling. It stresses her out to no end to have her mouth probed, and beyond peeking at her teeth and gums seems out of the question. Feeling under her chin is inconclusive, because I didn't feel a baseline before her medication, but I have one moving forward.

The drooling seems to have stopped though, which is really good news.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We've had two cats who started to have brown drool, and both times the swelling in their mouth was cancer. Unfortunately for us there was nothing we could do because there's no surgery that would work, and both were elderly when it happened. We put down the first cat a few days after the diagnosis because he stopped eating and drinking and seemed unhappy. We then adopted the other (already old) cat after our first cat's death, and a few years later had to go through the same thing. He lasted a few weeks after the diagnosis because eating and drinking only became a problem towards the end.

Anyway I hope your cat has a better outcome, but brown drool and swelling under the tongue was not good news for our cats. Pay close attention to her eating/drinking and the amount of peeing/pooping, and if you notice she's having trouble it might be worth it to get her checked out again.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Nailo has started to refuse to eat even wet foods if they have chunks in them. I imagine chewing hurts her. Brown, and now red drool has increased.

Does anyone have any tips for feeding cats a liquid diet?

We will see the vet to discuss a transition to corticosteroid use in the next few days.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

This happened to my Pepper a bit over year ago - I ended up having to take him into the vet because of the brown and red drool and it turned out a tumor in his mouth had gone full-on necrotic and split open. We hadn't even known he had cancer, and did surgery to fix it up, but turned out he just couldn't heal so two weeks later it was right back where it was and we ended up having to put him down. I really recommend getting your cat into the vet ASAP, just on the off-chance it's something like that

I miss my buddy :smith:

e: as for eating, we ended up getting him some Delectables bisque/senior formula food for when this was happening - it's mostly liquid with a few shreds of meat, so it's pretty easy for a cat having issues to eat. I think a few other brands make something similar? I'm not entirely sure

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 4, 2017

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

I'm sorry to hear about Pepper.

Nailo has been to the vet twice now for her condition. Today the vet found infected tongue tissue, most likely caused by Nailo biting her swollen tongue. She is now on antibiotics for the infection, and we're trying steroids for the inflammation, though her previous meds may have been helping, but we're not 100% sure. We can always switch back. We also got some narcotics for her if the pain seems to get too bad.

Eating is still a challenge. She begs for food but then doesn't want to eat, either because eating hurts, or her tongue infection stinks so bad she can't smell the food in front of her. She eventually does eat but not until she's really really hungry, and then she eats less than usual. She's dropped a 1/2 pound in six days. Between feedings she's the same old Nailo though, with lots of playing, purring, and pets.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Have you tried the usual go-tos of drizzling juice from a can of something she goes bonkers over (tuna/chicken/etc) and sticking it in the microwave to heat it up a little? That's what I've seen recommended on here for congestion, and it can't hurt to try to get Nailo to eat too, if it makes the food smell stronger than the infection smell.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Just thought I'd post one last time here. We buried Nailo today in the garden.
She stopped eating or drinking completely four days ago.
It's been a tough, tough, day.

Her passing was gentle though, and we had a vet come to our house to administer euthanasia. It was ideal given the circumstances, and luckily my wife discovered it as an option before the time came. It was cheaper than I thought it would be too.

The emptiness is real though. She was such a loving good cat.

Edit: In addition to mentioning the house call, I also thought people might have questions about what palliative care looked like, and just maybe what her decline was like. I scoured forums trying to get as much info about what was happening to her as possible, so maybe our story could help someone else out.

DavidAlltheTime fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 3, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so sorry for your loss, David. :( Nailo was a beautiful cat. She surely went peacefully, in the place she called home with the people she loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sorry to hear that. Not the outcome one would hope for. :(

• Locked thread