Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oops there goes Shemia Fagan. Consulted on pit and resigned

Gonna miss seeing the pictures with her cringe tattoo

Honestly I’m surprised she resigned though. Who does that anymore? I kind of thought she was going for a governor or senator trajectory but this probably ends that

Cripes, I really liked her too, super friendly to labor when I was doing union stuff in Salem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

Cripes, I really liked her too, super friendly to labor when I was doing union stuff in Salem

I had a mostly positive opinion of to date as well (or as positive as I can feel about any elected political player, they’re all varying shades of bad) but my lord that consulting contract was a very bad look and huge mistake

But also it’s remarkable to me how quickly she resigned. Modern playbook is to grind it out and try to beat the controversy. I’m wondering if there’s more we haven’t seen yet

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Her statement about having to pick up this as a side gig in order to "make ends meet for her family" is certainly :dafuq:

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

SeaborneClink posted:

Her statement about having to pick up this as a side gig in order to "make ends meet for her family" is certainly :dafuq:

On the one hand, yeah, she's clearly in the wrong. It's a massive conflict of interest, if not outright corruption. Furthermore, I have never made 77k/year in my 20 years of adult(college grad) life, so as measly as that may be I would not expect your average person to have an ounce of sympathy. I understand that public servants are grossly underpaid, but they really hosed up on this one.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fluffs McCloud posted:

On the one hand, yeah, she's clearly in the wrong. It's a massive conflict of interest, if not outright corruption. Furthermore, I have never made 77k/year in my 20 years of adult(college grad) life, so as measly as that may be I would not expect your average person to have an ounce of sympathy. I understand that public servants are grossly underpaid, but they really hosed up on this one.

An absolutely remarkably tone deaf thing to say, no doubt

$77k/year is probably half if not less what somebody with her degree and connections could expect to make in the private sector, so that’s probably skewing her perspective, but just an absolute ridiculous and tone deaf thing to say

Idk I will say that $77k/year seems very low for an office with the responsibility of SoS but somebody who is going to get on the graft train at $77k/yr is probably still going to get on at $150k/yr

Still, she had a really high ceiling in state politics and I hope that sweet sweet marijuana money was worth giving that all up lmao

But like I said a post or two up, it’s remarkable how quickly she resigned. How many other pols have had equally bad or worse scandals in the last few years and either fought it for months (Cuomo) or just weathered it until the next election with varied result (Loefler and Feinstein). Maybe she just doesn’t have the fight in her, maybe she has a guilty conscience and a sense of shame, maybe it’s even worse than it looks at first blush, idk but it’ll be interesting when a clearer picture emerges

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The median salary in the state is $77k. She got $10k/mo from that deal. What a stupid way to throw away a political career.

She certainly wasn't going to food pantries, churches or dumpster diving to put food on the table like a non-insignificant amount of families making less than $77,000/yr in the state.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Fagan hosed up. It's sad because her politics were great and she genuinely had a shot at higher office. I'd love to get off the milquetoast liberal train we're currently on with Kotek.

That said, 77K is an absolute joke of a salary for the Secretary of State. Flat out inviting corruption at that wage.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
i was making that much as a line cook manager in portland lmao

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
also i'm not about to get out here caping for a politician or anything but childcare for two kids covering the massive time commitment required to be sec of state would probably crack $10k a year alone.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

also i'm not about to get out here caping for a politician or anything but childcare for two kids covering the massive time commitment required to be sec of state would probably crack $10k a year alone.

Childcare for two kids is easily 24k minimum

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm at 1600 a month for my two year old. 10 K would be impossibly cheap for two kids.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm at 1600 a month for my two year old. 10 K would be impossibly cheap for two kids.

Yeah maybe she should’ve just found a billionaire to pay for it, that’s the ethical thing.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

yeah, i dont have kids and as a result am woefully unaware of what the associated costs look like especially with a job that requires immense capacity. my point is that perhaps all the WOW $77K A YEAR ID LOVE THAT TYPE OF MONEY WHY CANT SHE JUST FIGURE IT OUT folks arent exactly the best arbiters of fiscal matters

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

yeah, i dont have kids and as a result am woefully unaware of what the associated costs look like especially with a job that requires immense capacity. my point is that perhaps all the WOW $77K A YEAR ID LOVE THAT TYPE OF MONEY WHY CANT SHE JUST FIGURE IT OUT folks arent exactly the best arbiters of fiscal matters

I do think $77k/yr is way too low for that office and I did think Fagan was a really bright spot climbing the OR dem machine, and like I said a few posts back the fact that her degree/connections could easily get her double or more that salary probably clouded her perspective, BUT…

The consulting contract showed an incredible lack of foresight and then complaining about that salary being too low, however valid, was so incredibly tone-deaf and just not reading the room, so even if she had dodged this bullet I think she’s demonstrated that she doesn’t have what it takes to maneuver through the minefield that is public support for elected officials

Maybe she’ll make a comeback in a few years or maybe she’s done, idk, but regardless of her politics, the choices she made are baffling in how obviously bad they’re going to come across in media

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
She's an idiot if she somehow got caught being corrupt versus just like sticking to 'legal corruption' of insider trading and lobbying like every other loving politician out there.

Or the just the simple fact she was not a R next to her name on the ballot because they certainly don't have any shame in doing whatever the gently caress they want with no consequences ever from their voters.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/hannahkrieg/status/1694005167115698563?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

“Push polls are a time honored tradition n politics. I believe during one of John McCain’s primary runs someone did one in South Carolina with the question "Would you be more or less likely to vote for John McCain…if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?"