Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

esselfortium posted:

The World God Only Knows: There are so many shows on this list that I came back to and loved after initially dismissing them out of hand. "Dating sim-obsessed shut-in is forced against his will to use his game techniques to conquer girls in the real world" is a premise that could backfire in so many pandery ways, but TWGOK was great. The first two seasons were well-written comedies riffing on genre conventions, and then its third season took the whole show to another level by adding real emotional consequences to Keima's conquests.

If you liked the anime you should really read the manga. The anime skips arguably the best arc, and while the ending is a bit weird and feels kinda rushed, it is still well worth seeing through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

esselfortium posted:

Steins;Gate: I've often heard the first half of this show described as "boring until the plot picks up". I thought the first half was great fun! (The second half was also great!) I love a good time-travel story, and writing this one around the preexisting John Titor hoax was a brilliant move.
There's a sequel that recently came out on the Vita/PS4, and though I'm not finished with it yet it's definitely pretty great and if you liked the first show/game there's a decent chance you'll like it as well. If only to see that cast of characters interacting again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evangelion 3.33 was the only thing I watched this year that wasn't from this year, so that, I guess.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Some of these might have been watched in late 2015. Plex doesn't tell me.

Haibane Renmei: No joke, I watched this because of the art somebody slapped on a Hammock song on Youtube and because it had recently(?) gotten an HD rework. Sometimes the background scrolled at a higher framerate than the characters, which looked a little funny. "Shadow of the Colossus as gently caress in here" and other fun comments.

Steins;Gate: Including the movie, solid. I read the real John Titor thread back in the day only a few days after he stopped posting. Developed a new love for nixie tubes and a new waifu.

Magica Madoka: This might have aired before I started watching fansubs and nobody ever recommended it to me. I just finally got interested by all the seemingly humorous animosity for Kyubey. Zombies? Technically you're Liches.

Snack shows:
Shin Strange+: :stonk:
Orenchi no Furo Jijou

Only started Shirobako, will it count next year if I finish it? Still have Welcome To The NHK to watch too.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 1, 2017

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Pretty Rhythm - Rainbow Live
Surprisingly good and fun! Now has a movie sequel focused on the boys
https://a.pomf.cat/zvukzx.webm
https://a.pomf.cat/phanwr.webm

Kino's Journey
A classic and also very good

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 1, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I watched all the Hidamari Sketches, Eccentric Family and Hanasaku Iroha and they were all absolutely fantastic but I think the best thing was probably Michiko e Hatchin It's such an excellent story

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Watched all of the Kara no Kyoukai movies. They were pretty awesome.
Usagi Drop, super endearing.
Angel Beats. :cry:

I'm also in the process of watching NHK. It seems that it's been mentioned a couple of times already!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Endorph posted:

birdy the mighty decode is literally the perfect anime

nah

maybe if they hadn't spend an entire season teasing that Sayaka remembered something and then never resolved it

it's a real good show and probably the best non-2016 anime i watched this year but i'm still cheesed about that

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Edit: I'm dumb and can't read.

Definitely The Tick Gundam 0080

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 7, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

nah

maybe if they hadn't spend an entire season teasing that Sayaka remembered something and then never resolved it

it's a real good show and probably the best non-2016 anime i watched this year but i'm still cheesed about that
That was season 1, wasn't it? I more or less liked S1 but at least 80% of my positive feelings on that show is from S2.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I unknowingly went on a Kamiya Akira binge by watching both Urusei Yatsura (because I was curios from all the Lum avatars, thanks mystery Lum avatar buying person) and then Hokuto no Ken in 2016. I then read the entire Hokuto no Ken manga afterwards, and while it was quite good, I think the anime adaptation was actually better aside from a few too many recap episodes.

I also just recently read the entirety of Angel Densetsu which was excellent, it reminds me of Jitsu wa Watashi wa in that it can reuse the same joke over and over again without it ever getting old. Put this down on the short list of mangas that I want to see adapted to anime but probably never will be aside from an old VHS ova.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

nah

Dude, I'm just glad she was barely in S2 at all

Desperately needs a third season still

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I watched Dirty Pair, which was marvellous.
Very 80s, very fun, riffs on quite a few familiar sci-fi tropes. Just nice, lighthearted space hijinx. And a great OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTMe1vhUxh0 R-r-r-r-rushi-an rou-oureeeette!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was so unenthused about the first season of birdy the mighty that i was absolutely shocked when s2 ended up being possibly my favorite sci-fi action anime ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
symphogear + cross ange op

• Locked thread