Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I don't fault the front page writers for writing about Donald Trump, or at least using him as a jumping off point for their articles.

Anyone of those articles is pretty interesting and funny, by itself. SA's front page writers can always find a good angle for at least a few chuckles. And Trump's behavior is so outrageous that he seems to always be good for a laugh or two!

The thing is, though, that Trump isn't really that interesting or funny? What more can comedy writers say about him that they didn't say in the summer of 2015? Or for that matter, that hadn't been said by 1989? Even in the 80s, he was a one-note joke about bad taste and ego. The fact that the joke has someone worked its way into the point of destabilizing the world and threatening American democracy doesn't mean there is too much more to say about it

Donald Trump is like frosting: its certainly an attention getter, kind of fun for a while, but while a little bit is fun, eating it straight out of the can is monotonous.

What can comedy writers do with Trump? What jokes can anyone make that haven't been made before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think you can constantly and consistently make fun of him and his antics but at best it's very low-hanging fruit and it's being done to death by just about everyone.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
You mean comedy writes are lazy, and love to pick the lowest hanging fruit for an easy paycheck? Well I never!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Noun Verber posted:

You mean comedy writes are lazy, and love to pick the lowest hanging fruit for an easy paycheck? Well I never!

Ladies be shopping!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There are plenty of things about Trump that are ripe for mockery. The problem is that so much "comedy" about him is narrowly focused on how self-evidently horrible he is, and it's all done with a wink and a nudge while they ask the underlying question, "Am I right, folks?" I put comedy in quotes because people like John Oliver and Samantha Bee are preaching to the choir first and making actual jokes second (although Bee is at least trying to be funny, instead of peppering her routine with pop culture references like Oliver). If, say, you make him an absurd caricature, or if you play up the dumb, stupid, and outright awful things he says to the point of comedic exaggeration, then that's more effective than trash like "Drumpf" or taking back the term "nasty woman."

I thought Zach's article about Trump and prog rock was funny. Also, it may have a kernel of truth in it. After all, Genesis did make this music video back in 1986.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmH1xQ2Pf4

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SAD! BAD! Fake news!

Am I doing it right?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Noun Verber posted:

I don't know anything but I'm going to go ahead and wager a guess that the front page writers are in it for the love of the game.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Noun Verber posted:

I don't think comedy is the profession you go into for the pay check.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The people who get angry at Trump are the funny ones.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The people who elected Donald Trump to make people angry about his existence are unfunny.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This same kind of thing is going in the photoshop threads in GBS. There's always going to be new material, but at the same time it just stops being funny after a while. It's kind of difficult too because that's pretty much all the media talks about nowadays, to the point where it outshadows a lot of other material that would probably be in the public consciousness.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I guess u could say he's jumped the covfefe :iamafag:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
whatta gabbagool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU