Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Problem description: Have this Gateway SX2100. I'm upgrading to Windows 10 from 7, once the first part of the install gets done and it goes to the blue screen with the bulk of the install, after about 30% or so there is no display. Have left it for like over a day, cant really tell if the install completes or what. Gone back to 7, and sometimes its fine, sometimes you boot and same thing, no display after the Windows logo at boot. I dont see a "no signal" or out of range message, the screen is black but lit up. Tried both on my monitor and TV. Shows a resolution of 1152x864 @75hz.

Attempted fixes: As I said, tried on both my spare monitor and TV. Installed drivers from manufacturer while in 7, updated BIOS. Tried VGA and HDMI. Have tried a bunch of blind keystrokes, mainly enters to see if anything changes. Maybe get to desktop and update display drivers. Nothing. Tried clean install to 10 as well. Its one of those thin form factor desktops so even if I had a spare video card to throw in it it probably wouldn't fit

Recent changes: Tried to upgrade to W10

--

Operating system: 7/10 Home

System specs: Gateway SX2100 EW20P

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Have you tried holding F8 to see if you can start in VGA mode? If you get in, try clearing out the video driver.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Those are not options, as F8 boot options are no longer a thing in 8/10 and I cant get Windows fully installed, so no chance to do anything about drivers.

I tried upgrading from 7 to 10 with USB media, and it failed again as always but this time when I rebooted (just left it for a couple days) I got an error message. 0xC1900101 - 0x30018. Installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation. Seems to be a driver issue of some sort perhaps from what I've researched. I just unplugged the disc drive and front USB/audio, anything unnecessary, reseated RAM and tried again, nope, same thing. I know a lot of you are still on 7 but to me 7=XP basically now so I'd really like to get it cleaned up with 10 on it but god drat it I dunno what else to try.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sorry, I didn't know that about Windows 8/10 nixing F8.

As for ideas, you could try to install Windows 10 on this computer's disk from another computer. It usually adapts all right to the change in hardware and then you would be at least trying to boot from a completed installation.

They do have low profile cards as well, which may be the proper way to go, but I would try the above first if at all possible.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If you think the OS is booting, but you aren't getting display, try Windows key + P together. You won't be able to see the menu, but it's for cloning, extending, and duplicating monitors. I think this works in the PE (install) environment though I'm not sure. Maybe if you fiddle with that and the enter key, you'll get there; it sounds more like settings than bad hardware.

I would also try resetting the BIOS/CMOS, there is more than likely a small jumper on your motherboard for doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I think also that this is a case where trying to boot a live linux USB would be useful. It would prove then what is a hardware fault and what is Windows' fault. And if it runs, you'll be able to do rudimentary PC tasks while looking for ways to fix it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

• Locked thread