Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

if there's anyone still left in that promotion that deserves the title its Dasher. The dude could have been stuck with that awful create a wrestler gimmick still, but the Dasher one was such big hit it stuck.

oh yeah and I guess Ophidian too

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Dasher is a sad tale. I see him on Twitter practically begging for bookings and he rarely is wrestling outside of CHIKARA. And when his big chance to win the title comes, he doesn't get it. Seems like an odd way to end the year.

I really hope CHIKARA doesn't do another secret season again too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Thing to keep in mind is that Dasher isn't completely out of the title picture. He still has an automatic title shot. Here's a list of all the Golden Opportunity winners from the past couple years:

Challenge of the Immortals Winners

Kimber Lee: Cashed in her opportunity at the end of the Season 15 finale, defeating Hallowicked for the Grand Championship.
Jervis Cottonbelly: Never cashed in and likely never will.
El Hijo del Ice Cream: Cashed in for the tag titles against NRG and seemingly won them. Los Ice Creams were stripped of the titles later because they only pinned NRG once when tag title matches are always best 2 out of 3.
Ice Cream Jr: Cashed in for the tag titles against Rumblebees and succeeded.

Infinite Gauntlet Winners

Hallowicked (Season 16): Set up a title match against Kimber Lee and won the title back.
Dasher Hatfield (Season 17): Never cashed in.
Solo Darling (Season 18): Never cashed in.

Unless it's been explicitly stated somewhere, I'm not sure whether or not Infinite Gauntlet title shots work like Money in the Bank, since Hallowicked's was announced ahead of time and he's a heel.

Going into Season 19, Hype Rockwell is the only guy with three points.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

DM Punk posted:

I really hope CHIKARA doesn't do another secret season again too.

Quack's OCD won't let him do a novel idea like that twice.

...right? :shepface:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Max Coveri posted:

Quack's OCD won't let him do a novel idea like that twice.

...right? :shepface:

Quack ran three invasion storylines in a row so it's sadly very possible.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The roster page has updated and we've reached TNA "not enough for a Royal Rumble" level. Though it doesn't include the dudes who showed up after the Missile Assault Man match. That, and Lucas Calhoun has stated on Twitter that he's coming back to deal with that.

Notable guys missing from the active roster page and added to the alumni section:

- The Big Deal/Hornswoggle, who didn't appear at all in 2016.

- Ashley Vox and Delmi Exo, despite Ashley's new gimmick of Oceana. Judging from her Twitter, it's probably more that they don't have an Oceana profile image yet.

- Max Smashmaster, who as mentioned earlier, is now retired.

- Missile Assault Man, who has gotten rid of his Twitter. He looks to be completely gone from Chikara, meaning an end to jokes about Zimbabwe.

- Mr. Azerbaijan, which is just as well. DUSTIN is still on the roster.

- Rock Lobster, who had one match in Season 18 and just kind of vanished.

- Wani, who was last seen dropping the Young Lions Cup on an Hour of Power back in June.

Fake Amasis doesn't have a profile to begin with and doesn't show up on either roster page.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i watched the powerbomb stream and i think it said they were gonna have a lot of live shows on chikaratopia next season so i might check it out despite not knowing any of these people or stories

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

The roster page has updated and we've reached TNA "not enough for a Royal Rumble" level. Though it doesn't include the dudes who showed up after the Missile Assault Man match. That, and Lucas Calhoun has stated on Twitter that he's coming back to deal with that.

Notable guys missing from the active roster page and added to the alumni section:

- The Big Deal/Hornswoggle, who didn't appear at all in 2016.

- Ashley Vox and Delmi Exo, despite Ashley's new gimmick of Oceana. Judging from her Twitter, it's probably more that they don't have an Oceana profile image yet.

- Max Smashmaster, who as mentioned earlier, is now retired.

- Missile Assault Man, who has gotten rid of his Twitter. He looks to be completely gone from Chikara, meaning an end to jokes about Zimbabwe.

- Mr. Azerbaijan, which is just as well. DUSTIN is still on the roster.

- Rock Lobster, who had one match in Season 18 and just kind of vanished.

- Wani, who was last seen dropping the Young Lions Cup on an Hour of Power back in June.

Fake Amasis doesn't have a profile to begin with and doesn't show up on either roster page.

Did the Furies stable ever have a big ending or anything? Just seem like the group kind of dissolved with no payoff or anything.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Did the Furies stable ever have a big ending or anything? Just seem like the group kind of dissolved with no payoff or anything.

I guess the payoff was Fire Ant beating seven shades of poo poo out of Frightmare at King of Trios. Frightmare hasn't been seen since.

Coincidentally, Fire Ant just posted a blog post about this. Basically that the Furies was a stupid concept because they were a team in name only. There was no real solidarity and everyone else was focused on their own thing. Now he's a Colony of One.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Looks like Chikara is doubling down hard on local shows

There are like 12 Philly shows booked

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Looks like Chikara is doubling down hard on local shows

There are like 12 Philly shows booked

They own the venue

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
39-minute mark has some really interesting TV deal talk.

https://twitter.com/CHIKARASpecial/status/940687792530739200

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

EugeneJ posted:

They own the venue

Well yeah but they have owned the venue for three years and never done this many shows

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah but they have owned the venue for three years and never done this many shows

they also have no money

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
They got one show booked in the Pocono Mountains. That's different. But, yeah, 16 WrestleFactory shows.

Gonna assume KoT is early September since there's a big gap between shows around that time. Wonder if they gave up on touring or are just doing a ton of shows next year.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

rovert posted:

39-minute mark has some really interesting TV deal talk.

https://twitter.com/CHIKARASpecial/status/940687792530739200

When you don't have the money to update your background pic...

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

syzpid posted:

Why is Shane Storm not crossed out? I thought he retired.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

syzpid posted:

Green Ant and Fire Ant should be reversed.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

CombineThresher posted:

Why is Shane Storm not crossed out? I thought he retired.

He's technically retired, but he shows up from time to time when they do a match with a bunch of people. I thought he had shown up this year at some point (or during the secret shows) but appearently his last appearance was infinity gauntlet last year.

Gavok posted:

Green Ant and Fire Ant should be reversed.

It's weird that I actually like The Colony, but I can't keep track of them anymore. I knew Green Ant had changed into Silver Ant, but I thought Fire Ant was the one that was killed off earlier this year, not Silver Ant. I miss Big Blue Ant. And everyone from the fake colony, but the funny fake colony, not the Quack strawman colony.

The sad thing is that at least half of the people aren't around anymore cause Quack couldn't figure out what to do with them or they had a falling out with Quack. Most of them are by far more interesting then whose left on the roster.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

syzpid posted:

Really disappointed they didn't plaster "disappeared", "murdered", "retired" etc. as appropriate like on that one famous X-Men cover.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

syzpid posted:

almost as uninspiring as the MvCI selection screen

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

frankenfreak posted:

Really disappointed they didn't plaster "disappeared", "murdered", "retired" etc. as appropriate like on that one famous X-Men cover.

That big dork quack would never re-use a cover

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Word I heard is that they got a bunch of students in the pipeline. if its not edited out, there's a bunch of talking heads of trainees during the intermission of the burlesque show(do more of these) up on PowerbombTV

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of PowerbombTV, I figure that has to do with the Season 19 schedule. Cost-cutting is mentioned, but at the same time, there are no double-header shows going on next year. All the shows are 3-4 weeks apart at the Wrestle Factory, which probably means that all or nearly all of Season 19 will be streaming on Chikaratopia and PowerbombTV.

Also, King of Trios has been announced for August 31 to September 2. It will be back in the Philly area.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I really hope its not at the wrestlefactory unless they aren't using big outside talents

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

I really hope its not at the wrestlefactory unless they aren't using big outside talents

Considering the money-maker KoT is for Chikara they will almost certainly be holding it in Redding

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering the money-maker KoT is for Chikara they will almost certainly be holding it in Redding

That's the first time "money-maker" and "Reading" have occupied the same sentence in at least 30 years.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just watched the Countdown Showdown, a 30-man Royal Rumble that Chikara did back in 2010 during the height of the BDK storyline. On one hand, it's a really fun Rumble match and it shows off just how great the roster was back then. On the other hand, Johnny Gargano won it and... like, why? He was arguably the least interesting choice at the time.

Also, it was kind of amusing to see Jervis Cottonbelly as the "we haven't seen him in years!" entry back in 2010.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Gavok posted:

I just watched the Countdown Showdown, a 30-man Royal Rumble that Chikara did back in 2010 during the height of the BDK storyline. On one hand, it's a really fun Rumble match and it shows off just how great the roster was back then. On the other hand, Johnny Gargano won it and... like, why? He was arguably the least interesting choice at the time.

Also, it was kind of amusing to see Jervis Cottonbelly as the "we haven't seen him in years!" entry back in 2010.

I liked this decision, if only because It gave us Gargano/Frightmare at Dark Ciberknetico, which made me take notice of Gargano as more than "the third guy from FIST"

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
CHIKARA has a hotline set up now. There's 7 options which most just news, trivia, theme songs, and Option 7 is "Between the Sheets with Missy". When you pick that last one, you get a Repo Man promo.

Also, There's a Youtube channel that has the newest CHIKARA Themes album on there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-0-JawwG3lTSBLVpJ4w0FtMXVSh1_zBP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Season 18 ended in 2017, dude.

• Locked thread