Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm putting that in the next dickbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Maybe I should turn it into an erotic fanfic at some point.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Holy poo poo Rek. That’s beautiful.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
It only took completely skipping the entire chain of command but we got dates to go from Al Udeid to the DTC. Still no firm date for leaving Iraq but supposedly DTC dates are fairly solid so they’ll have to pull me out to make that flight.

Still can’t believe the same cocksuckers who remembered to give me a birthday card forgot they forward deployed me to this constantly exploding poo poo hole.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Got email alerts that I've finally been removed from ADLS. Only took...8 months?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Great, I have to write a paper about all the "great" changes that McPeak made to the Air Force.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, he eventually retired.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Man, I love doing research.

quote:

The United States Air Force is losing pilots at an alarming rate. Current projections
predict a shortage of 2,300 military pilots by the year 2000. The Aviation Continuation
Pay acceptance rate, which reflects how many pilots who have completed an initial eight
year active duty service committment (ADSC) are willing to accept a new five-year
commitment by signing up for the pilot bonus, has fallen from a high of 81 percent in
1994 to 28 percent in 1998. As a result, the ability of the Air Force to maintain combat
readiness has become a problem of national significance.

quote:

The paper’s objective is to prove the Air Force mismanaged its pilot force in the
early nineties while placing too much emphasis on monetary compensation. It will argue
that the Air Force is finally recognizing key factors in the rated management process and
beginning to take necessary actions to produce a solution. It will conclude that any viable
solution must address the role Air Force culture plays in retaining a highly motivated,
dedicated workforce into the 21st century.
https://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a396495.pdf

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: Oh wow. That's amazing.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
There are tons of ACSC/AWC papers on pilot retention. The USAF has gone through these cycles several times before, and it's 100% tied to airline hiring.

The only differences now are how small the USAF is, and how long this predicted boom is supposed to last.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp I should have known a sweet contracting gig was only going to come crashing down when it's directly tied to the air force. Our entire lab was demoted yesterday and today, ended up being about $13k a year we won't be seeing now. It was either everyone gets pay cuts or people would be getting fired. It was good while it lasted

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's a bit more than half the pay cut my company gave out a few years ago...which led to my position becoming available in the first place when the other dude told them to shove it and left.

Contracting does not pay what it used to, no question.

Edit: This is on the Navy side; poo poo sucks everywhere.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Oddly enough we had just gotten pay raises as well. But we had two companies under one contract and now it's just one so moving everyone over seems to have hosed us all, plus they had to create non production related positions.

In the meantime I've been taking classes for cyber security but I'm worried the jump from a decent paying job to an entry level position is going to be real rough. But gently caress staying in the same job forever. The only money is either super remote locations or really high level poo poo at all of three companies out there that bother with calibration.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Is this the orderly room? I lost my inprocessing paperwork in a poker game and I'm pretty sure I'm still drunk from the plane ride here but I was told to report in. All I have for an ID is my state medical marijuana card and speaking of which, anyone want in on this? **produces a joint that was what mostly filled the duffle bag**

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I've been off watching the TMO-contracted movers pack up my stuff for the last days, darkly wondering what will go "missing" or turn up damaged.

I guess I missed the big EPR news at work, because when it turned up online, I thought for sure it was Duffel Blog.

Air Force nixes evaluations for junior airmen

Nice to see we're taking a good idea from the Army. Pity it didn't happen a month ago; I just rewrote EPRs for a couple of my airmen.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Arc Light posted:

I've been off watching the TMO-contracted movers pack up my stuff for the last days, darkly wondering what will go "missing" or turn up damaged.

I guess I missed the big EPR news at work, because when it turned up online, I thought for sure it was Duffel Blog.

Air Force nixes evaluations for junior airmen

Nice to see we're taking a good idea from the Army. Pity it didn't happen a month ago; I just rewrote EPRs for a couple of my airmen.

Wow, we're actually going to do something smart for a change!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

BadOptics posted:

Wow, we're actually going to do something smart for a change!

I'm waiting to find out what the equal and opposite reaction will be.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm laughing at the idea of supervisors doing face to face counseling in it's place. I didn't even get that with my EPR, just a note telling me to sign it and send it back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dscruffy1 posted:

Wing commanders requiring them anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The TMO mover broke literally every piece of furniture I had in the last move

I was honestly pretty impressed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My TMO mover overlooked their guidance and willingly loaded 3 fully assembled engines and transmissions as part of the move.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

One of my shipping crates went missing (they forgot to actually ship it) for a couple of months on my separation PCS. Naturally, it included the middle section of my 3-seat couch, the central stand/leg of my corner desk, computer chair, half my kitchen, etc.

I haven't had much stuff broken (they smashed a lamp on that move) but as a kid we had a whole bunch of stuff vanish moving back stateside from USAFE.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Hello thread, I have been on these forums for years and never realized there was a military subforum.

I'm gonna go through all these pages for a possible answer but I might as well ask: why is SIPR/NIPR so garbage, even by lovely military contract standards? Not a month goes by without a hardware fuckup or broken tokens or a plain loss of network that ends up making GBS threads all over training and briefing plans for the day.

That aside, I enjoy my current career of blowing up explosives with even more explosives.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Because everything is put together so piecemeal and half-assed, from the hardware to the software to the maintenance and support contracts, and the process to fix any of this is orders of magnitude too slow to keep up with changing (practical and real world) requirements.

Edit: This is going to blow everyone's minds, but the Navy's is far, far worse. NIPR in particular is shockingly bad.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ChickenHeart posted:

Hello thread, why is SIPR/NIPR so garbage?

ChickenHeart posted:

military contract

:thunk:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Godholio posted:

Edit: This is going to blow everyone's minds, but the Navy's is far, far worse. NIPR in particular is shockingly bad.

After a year at Yongsan on army networks I was so happy going back to the regular dumb afnet daddy. He doesn't beat me as much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Three words: Security through Obscurity.

It always results in slow and painfully incapable systems.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Our networks are so secure even we can't use them.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Godholio posted:

Our networks are so secure even we can't use them.

Okay, I gotta steal this one

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Higher level network support is pretty much entirely in the hands of mismanaged contracts.

Bluesuiters are involved, but the official training for network infrastructure and systems administration is so basic and lousy that it's basically useless. Additionally, the usual brain drain applies. Any enlisted airman who actually develops a working understanding of the network and the skillset to troubleshoot serious issues will be able to make beaucoup bucks on the outside, without any of the bullshit associated with being junior enlisted. Thus, the unskilled remain.

Officers receive cyber warfare training, with minimal emphasis on network architecture or troubleshooting. After a year or two of possibly doing a hands-on job as a lieutenant, they promote up to pure management, and lose any currency.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Godholio posted:

Because everything is put together so piecemeal and half-assed, from the hardware to the software to the maintenance and support contracts, and the process to fix any of this is orders of magnitude too slow to keep up with changing (practical and real world) requirements.

When I was in DGAR we’d lose NIPR like clockwork. What helped was that the USAF unit there was OCO funded and someone a few rotations back spent hella cash on the E-6 and below barracks, meaning we had NIPR machines and DSN lines in our rooms. If NIPR went out I’d usually tell my boss I was punching out since everything I did was through Guam anyway and catch up in my room whenever it came back up.

Meaning about 85% of DGAR’s CSS work from 2015-2016 was done either drunk or nursing a hangover. Tellingly the quality didn’t noticably change.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Can a recruiter prevent me from taking the AFOQT and trying for Officer Training School? I already took the ASVAB and got an extremely good score, but before that I was getting some resistance when I said I wanted to be an officer.

(For context: I do have a Bachelor's degree, that's not an issue.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Officer accessions are not handled by normal recruiters. He wants you to enlist so he gets credit. Call him or a different office and ask for contact info for the local officer accessions recruiter.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Everything Godholio said. He's trying to steamroll you because he has someone on his line, and is counting on you not knowing any better.

Contact the Officer Accessions recruiter for your area. Politely tell your enlisted recruiter you want to try this other angle first, but you'll be in touch. Expect him to be a bit of a dick or say something like "it won't work" or "I know the Officer recruiter and they're not taking your degree type right now" but he has zero say in the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
2018 Bitches. Report to the Hall for a Mandatory Commander's Call where he'll read the slides one by one word for word:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847152

• Locked thread