Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well now that the characters are rich they're basically nobility, no more scrabbling in the mud, time to retire and order peasants around. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
So since I love this LP so much, I started working on this around the second update. Our favorite odd couple:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The game kept saying that staying more than a month at the inn would cause problems. What sort of problems do you run into, out of curiosity?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

my dad posted:

The opposite. Endurance damage knocks you out, strength damage kills you. You always want to have more strength than endurance.

You want 40+ of both :colbert:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Omniphile posted:

So since I love this LP so much, I started working on this around the second update. Our favorite odd couple:

This is gold.

Poor Poor Lolanthe

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

my dad posted:

The opposite. Endurance damage knocks you out, strength damage kills you. You always want to have more strength than endurance.

You're right, my brain glitched out there and got it backwards.

But the point is that having most of the party be equal (or nearly so) in the two stats made me think a character loss was inevitable. I'm surprised that issue wasn't brought up when the party was being designed (or was it and I missed it?).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Raiad posted:

Ride in particular almost never comes up and as far as I know can only be improved in a single, rare random encounter.
Really? I remember having to constantly deal with wolves / boars, who can be quite annoying.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Omniphile posted:

:golfclap:

Coolguye posted:

The game kept saying that staying more than a month at the inn would cause problems. What sort of problems do you run into, out of curiosity?

I believe the game intended for overstaying your welcome to lower your reputation- at least it was mentioned in the Clue Book or manual. I've stayed in a town for literal years in game and never noticed it, so I believe that it doesn't work as intended (if at all). There are a few time based features mentioned there that don't seem to happen, including age and some alchemy effects that end up being kind of game breaking.

Xander77 posted:

Really? I remember having to constantly deal with wolves / boars, who can be quite annoying.

Turns out that was my own bad memory. There was one rare event I had in mind where riding is important that overwrote the other aspects of it. If every member of the party has a horse, you can use riding to escape from some encounters. That said, every member has to have some skill to use it effectively, and improvements to it are pretty rare.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man. Healing potions are that hard to come by? I suppose if it's trying to be "realistic", that only makes sense.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

Man. Healing potions are that hard to come by? I suppose if it's trying to be "realistic", that only makes sense.

Once you have the recipe and know where the ingredients are found, you can chug them. They're like 1g a pop, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Raiad posted:

Clothing can't be sold had has no value

Raiad posted:

Finally, Shields the hit probability calculation directly.

Raiad posted:

Ride (Ride): The ability to use mounts if a small number of events.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Eager to see what you do with the money.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This is still probably one of my favourite games of all time and it's nice to see the huge amount of details I missed playing it as a kid. I still exploited the gently caress out of alchemy for money though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Darklands is totally my kinda jam, and is historically accurate in the same way that the movie The VVITCH was historically accurate. I'd say even the innumerable swarms of brigands are relatively accurate from a "this is what people thought the world was like at that time," perspective.

• Locked thread