Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Problem description: Computer was resetting under load for a few months, into a state where display was off, fans were audible, but power button did not turn it off. Decided to try replacing power supply. Boots fine, I did some benchmark/stress test stuff, works fine for 3 or so hours then resets during a game of CS:GO. Reboot, load Furmark and it reset immediately. Went to bed, woke up, did Windows memory diagnostic (no errors found). Made a Memtest86 USB, rebooted, NADA. 2 case fans and CPU fan spinning fine. Display never initializes (monitor immediately goes to power saving mode). If connected, mouse doesn't light up, and keyboard has 3 lights on. Case seems to not have a PC speaker so I can't be 100% sure if it POSTs but other than fans and some lights there's no signs of life.

Attempted fixes: Took out USB drive, cleared CMOS, used 1 RAM stick at a time, removed all peripherals down to CPU, PSU, and 1-2 sticks of RAM.

Recent changes: Replaced PSU, which worked for at least 12 hours? I left my old PSU outside overnight, is it worth plugging back in to test, or is that more dangerous than worthwhile?

Updated chipset drivers to benchmark because I'm getting a RX480 today...
--
Operating system: Windows 10 whichever version 8.1 upgraded into

System specs: 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX Predator
A10-6800K
*new 12/30* Seasonic G series 550W
GigaByte F2A88XM-D3H, I think BIOS v6?

Fails to boot with just this configuration or either RAM stick.

Resetting problems started with these peripherals:
Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD
WD 1TB HD of some type
Xonar DG sound card
*new week of 12/10* TP-Link AC-1300 Archer T6E wireless card
Antec Earthwatts 350W? I think?

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, what FAQ?

Did I fry my motherboard by using a dying PSU for months, and it just didn't keel over until today? Or is the new PSU the first suspect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you cleared the CMOS I would check the settings for memory timing and voltage against what your memory is actually looking for.

Have you looked over the motherboard for any obvious damage like bulging/burst capacitors or scorch marks and such?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

New mobo (AsRock A88M-G3) and it booted fine, didn't even have to re-appease Microsoft about new hardware. I think somehow roach gunk got to the old one, it was mostly fine on the surface but underneath (between mobo and the part of the case it was mounted on) it was grody.

Do solid caps bulge or burst if they go bad? Both old and new board advertise solid capacitors.

Also, TIL about XMP and how I ran 2133MHz memory as 1600 for three years...

• Locked thread