Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'd had my eye on it for a while, and the current steam sale price was enough to get me to try it out.

you have a deck of gear and a deck of encounters. the NPC gamemaster character has an ever growing deck of monsters, curses, and blessings.

you play through short, ARPG combat scenarios (i think it's a little like Batman combat - you mostly attack, but can do power attacks, do a fast roll with iframes, and press a QTE button to activate a counter) which reward you with gear, and also unlock "tokens" which are basically expansions for the base game, and represent individual questlines.

each encounter consume a little bit of food, which also heals you, but running out of food is bad, so you have to ration your movement.

altogether the combat is deep enough to be enjoyable (i wish it was a little less about button mashing, though), and the deck building aspect is well implemented and makes dungeon crawling fun.

anyone else played this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I bought this in a recent sale and have been eager to try it out. I love muh cards mans. I will give it a shot soon and report back, OP.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I bought this in a recent sale and have been eager to try it out. I love muh cards mans. I will give it a shot soon and report back, OP.

GL, op.

my only gripe is that combat could be a little better, but it's also not bad.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i remember hearing about this game before but i have no idea where

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I liked how the random shuffling in this game isn't really random and you can track the cards, but around the halfway point the game just gets real tedious and repetitive.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Plebian Parasite posted:

I liked how the random shuffling in this game isn't really random and you can track the cards, but around the halfway point the game just gets real tedious and repetitive.

That's how I felt. the combat isn't really strong enough to overcome the tedium of the overgame and the curses are either easily ignorable or a death sentence.

Still fun for a few hours and a neat idea tho.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tarranon posted:

That's how I felt. the combat isn't really strong enough to overcome the tedium of the overgame and the curses are either easily ignorable or a death sentence.

its cool idea and really cool visual trappings and execution there, but the rest of the gameplay wasn't tight enough to keep me playing past like the first couple suites

i'll try to get back to it in time

love the dealer and his voice though

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the music composer did the old total war games and thats neat, also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kT-HQG1MEc

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tarranon posted:

A big problem too is that the events go from '2/4 chance to have something good happen to you, 1/4 chance to have something great happen to you, and a 1/4 chance to have something mildly inconvenience you' but they end up as '3/4 chance to have something terrible happen to you, and a 1/4 chance to move on to the next stage of the event, where it is just as likely to have something terrible happen to you.'

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Yeah I was surprised at how much I liked the old guys voice. Such a great execution to an old concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plebian Parasite posted:

A big problem too is that the events go from '2/4 chance to have something good happen to you, 1/4 chance to have something great happen to you, and a 1/4 chance to have something mildly inconvenience you' but they end up as '3/4 chance to have something terrible happen to you, and a 1/4 chance to move on to the next stage of the event, where it is just as likely to have something terrible happen to you.'

drat, that sucks. oh well, i'm enjoying it for the moment.

• Locked thread