Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rhyno posted:

We can only hope the show ends in a horrible tragedy that explains this.

I'm assuming that's something they're holding for a season finale/sweeps week ep, like the origin of "Bazinger" or...gently caress, I'd make another reference, but those are literally the only things I know about the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

Nothing can properly convey my disappointment.

That matches my sentiment when I watched the first three seasons after years of people talking about how "deep" it is.

swickles posted:

I haven't seen any of Black Mirror, but from what I understand its like a modern Twilight Zone? There isn't any serialization right, so I can just dive in with the new season?

If you watched Twilight Zone and thought to yourself "man this is way too subtle" then Black MIrror is the show for you

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Black Mirror has some great episodes, but Charlie Brooker isn't as clever as he thinks it is and the show is always at its worst when it mistakes mean-spirited cynicism as insight.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseRenoir posted:

Black Mirror has some great episodes, but Charlie Brooker isn't as clever as he thinks it is and the show is always at its worst when it mistakes mean-spirited cynicism as insight.

Any idea when episode 2 of USS Callister is.... where do i spend my piggy bank?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I thought the new series of Black Mirror was not very good at all.

The best episode is the first one and that's because of the caliber of actors in it. The subject matter has pretty much already been covered by the show before.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still got the last ep to watch but yeah outside of Callister not really feeling this season. My other favourite is 5, and that’s entirely down to the quality of David Slade’s direction and Maxine Peake’s performance rather than the script.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's why I like Black Mirror:

*All of the actors are generally fantastic. Sometimes I recognize them, sometimes I don't, but either way when I turn on Black Mirror I know I'll be seeing some good work.

*The production design, cinematography, and special effects are nearly always cinema quality. Crocodile, while having its flaws, has some of the most gorgeous landscape shots I've watched this year. McAllister opens with the most pitch-perfect Star Trek imitation I've seen. Black Mirror, from a visual and performance standpoint, is up in the top echelon of TV shows.

*While the concepts behind the episode may not always be the most original, Black Mirror does a good job showing potential abuses of technology in a way that isn't 100% condemning of said technology. In Black Mirror its not tech that's the problem, it's how we use it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the two leads in episode 4 loving killed it, they were extremely believable and "real"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HorseRenoir posted:

Charlie Brooker isn't as clever as he thinks [he] is

Amended a word of the quote to match my feelings. I would’ve traded his episode(s?) of Black Mirror for 2017 Wipe, despite it undoubtedly being the bleakest hour. His creative work always comes off as something not quite fully realized before it goes to shoot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m watching Vikings now and they insist on calling the coming of age ceremony as “the thing” that it’s comedic at this point

Dancer
May 23, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

no 2017 Wipe

This is a Goddamn travesty :(.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Calaveron posted:

I’m watching Vikings now and they insist on calling the coming of age ceremony as “the thing” that it’s comedic at this point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(assembly)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Amended a word of the quote to match my feelings. I would’ve traded his episode(s?) of Black Mirror for 2017 Wipe,

That's all of them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh lame, I always presumed they continued that mix of writers like right at the very beginning. I’ve not really watched much of it to be honest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hahaha are you serious, color me educated then. I thought the writers were just being goofy

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm 10 minutes in the sneak preview episode of Counterpart and it's weird and awesome and has a really cool vibe to it. I have no clue what the hell is going on but I think that's the point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if you could make a watchable show out of Transmetropolitan that more or less sticks to the source material.

Please do not fantasy cast this hypothetical show.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The Blair / Bush analogues are too old hat and some bright spark would actually cast Alec Baldwin (sorry!) as fresh and timely. Wonder if PS (did it again) is too old/just right/still keen on the role.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There wasn't a Bush analogue in the comic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:siren: Fellow goons! :siren:

Do you like listing your favourite shows using an arbitrary ranking system? Do you like using the end of the year to look back on a fixed period of time for television? Do you want to tell everyone how great American Vandal was and that they need to watch American Vandal? Well my friends, it's your lucky day! TVIV's Annual Top 10 Poll is open for business and you've got until January 8th to get a list posted! So come join us for what is looking to be the widest open poll in TVIV history. With so much great TV to choose from your votes have more weight than ever before!

Also, go watch American Vandal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's hard for me to put into words how great Chance is. s2 was great. Built on s1 in a really good way.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There wasn't a Bush analogue in the comic.

Thought Ellis said that in the prefaces but it's been years since I read them... First page of Google results says he was actually psychic and absolutely talking about Trump, so no, definitely don't make the show.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The USS Callister episode of Black Mirror is extremely good. Am I wrong in assuming that this is probably the highlight of the season like San Junipero was last year?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the acting and some of the Star Trek stuff was fun but I feel like it's just a remix of earlier Black Mirror stories that's we've all seen before. I've seen the first three and just not really feeling it so far. Arkangel just drags forever. The same story could have been told more effectively as a 15 minute short film. Instead they just show the same thing over and over again, we get it, move on with it. Crocodile's cinematography and setting was stunning and gorgeous but that's about all I got from it. I didn't feel anything over the shock value stuff, just felt cheap.

I really wanted a mindfuck episode like White Christmas.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

The USS Callister episode of Black Mirror is extremely good. Am I wrong in assuming that this is probably the highlight of the season like San Junipero was last year?

you are right

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm working on my list now and it's made me realise it's criminal how much Orphan Black was ignored by people this year. The show did such a great job bringing all its various tangents together to create cohesive whole and I imagine it works great on binge viewing so if you're a lapsed fan you really owe it to yourself to see these characters out to the end.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rarity posted:

I'm working on my list now and it's made me realise it's criminal how much Orphan Black was ignored by people this year. The show did such a great job bringing all its various tangents together to create cohesive whole and I imagine it works great on binge viewing so if you're a lapsed fan you really owe it to yourself to see these characters out to the end.

What season are they up to?

Season 1 was great, but 2 lost me very early/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BSam posted:

What season are they up to?

Season 1 was great, but 2 lost me very early/

It's all finished now at five seasons total.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked the acting and some of the Star Trek stuff was fun but I feel like it's just a remix of earlier Black Mirror stories that's we've all seen before. I've seen the first three and just not really feeling it so far. Arkangel just drags forever. The same story could have been told more effectively as a 15 minute short film. Instead they just show the same thing over and over again, we get it, move on with it. Crocodile's cinematography and setting was stunning and gorgeous but that's about all I got from it. I didn't feel anything over the shock value stuff, just felt cheap.

I really wanted a mindfuck episode like White Christmas.

Yeah just finished Arkangel and it wasn't bad, but it shows its hand really early on and doesn't really take any interesting directions. I also noticed that the sci-fi elements from these two episodes are kind of recycled from previous seasons.

Oh well, as long as there's not any egregiously bad episodes like the last two seasons had I'll be fine with it I guess :shrug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I really didn’t think Riverdale would get even MORE insane with a 22-episode season, but they sure showed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845133

New chat thread.

• Locked thread