Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Problem description: I got a new graphics card (Gforce 1060). I uninstalled the drivers for my old one, powered off, pulled it out, put the new one in. No video. I've monkeyed around with it a bunch (see below). My issue is as such: If I have the old card or no card in, the computer turns on and functions fine - video and all, hunky-dory. If I have the new card in, I get no video at all. I'm using the motherboard connection, not the card connection, and yes, this includes the BIOS/boot screens. Weirdly, though, the computer is still booting fine - I have my audio connected and it plays all the usual windows bootup noises and jingles and the drives spin up. So it's not that the computer is failing to boot, but somehow connecting the new card makes it poo poo itself and forget how to video.

Attempted fixes: Swapped back to the old card. Removed the card entirely to see if that would let me circumvent the issue (it does, I'm typing on that computer with no card in right now). Uninstalling every graphics-related utility in the control panel. Using a third-party utility to purge all AMD/Nvidia/intel drivers from my system entirely. Going into the BIOS setup to see if there's anything in there where it's holding onto configuration tied to the old card - nothing jumped out at me and I'm hoping the issue is just that I missed some dumb configuration thing like this. Mashing the "enter bios" key while booting with the new card in (doesn't give me the bios screen, but judging by the lack of any further windows boot noises it is actually getting to it - just not showing me anything)

Recent changes: Well, yes, that's rather the point, isn't it? Nothing else has changed about my system though.

--

Operating system: Windows 7.

System specs: It's an older homebuilt thing. 16gb of ram, an asrock motherboard, either no graphics card (right now) or a GEforce 1060 (hopefully). I can't find where the power supply's exact specifications are on it.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Internet searches give wildly mixed opinions on what causes this, assuming I can even find results for this - most people posting with this sort of issues have computers that are failing to boot entirely, whereas mine seems to be and just isn't giving any video.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kAEoCHANYY

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Your new card is probably DOA.

Depending on your mobo, you're not getting video through the mobo connection when a card is plugged in because it thinks it should be using the card not that slot so it outputs nothing from there.

e: it's possible you could just need a BIOS update if you're upgrading from a pretty old card or something, could be worth checking the mobo manufacturer's site for an update.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 3, 2017

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I checked with a local tech guy I've worked with before and he was able to get it working! :toot:

It was a combination of the motherboard not quite sitting right and the contacts having some dust on them which combined meant the card wasn't quite connecting properly.

• Locked thread