Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Not a Step posted:

How many solid campaign issues can you recall that could be expressed in five words or less and *didn't* revolve around the configuration of her genitalia? What causes did Clinton consistently and loudly champion at her every appearance until it became just bound up in who she was?

"check out my website"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Part of the reason Clinton's "I am very smart look at all these well crafted policies" strategy didn't work is it fed into sexist opposition to uppity know it all women. I don't think it was a good strategy regardless, but it probably would have worked better for a white man.

5 word Clinton statements I remember:

Support Diversity, it's a strength
Free childcare and family leave
Defend Obamacare and expand it
Support NATO and oppose Putin
Don't elect the crazy man

Which clearly isn't enough about jobs and the economy.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

Part of the reason Clinton's "I am very smart look at all these well crafted policies" strategy didn't work is it fed into sexist opposition to uppity know it all women. I don't think it was a good strategy regardless, but it probably would have worked better for a white man.

Just lol that bitter accusations of sexism is all you have to cling to instead of just being able to admit Clinton was real bad. Real real bad. And Perez is going to keep the centrist faction in power.

quote:

This would have been a pretty good thing to campaign extensively on. Its a shame she didn't.

quote:

She ran against the man who wanted Universal Healthcare and said quite a number of nasty things about how impossible it would be to achieve anything better. Even Trump had a more positive message on healthcare.

quote:

America is Already Great (for the phenomenally wealthy who captured most of the economic 'recovery' and are also the only people Clinton every interacts with).

Also none of those roll off the tongue and are terribly constructed campaign slogans. Even if Clinton *had* said them, she can't market herself or her ideas worth a drat.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn that was some impressive anger at the suggestion that sexism played a role in the election. Apparently your visceral reaction made you miss the very next sentence where I said I didn't think she had a good strategy.

The rest of your post is just the standard whining. She campaigned on those issues. She should have campaigned more on jobs and the economy. You don't need to make some idiotic assertion that Clinton literally didn't campaign on anything in order to criticize her strategy. In fact your criticism would be a lot more persuasive if it wasn't obviously rooted in some deep hatred you have for the woman.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JeffersonClay posted:

Haven't we agreed that policy had nothing to do with the outcome of the election? If she went to all the rust belt states and talked about jobs and the economy she would have still lost.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The problem was her communication of those policies, not the policies themselves.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JeffersonClay posted:

The problem was her communication of those policies, not the policies themselves.

No that wasn't the problem either. The election did not hinge on policy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As a white male, Trump would have done much better than he did historically, if he had made a dull website and instead of touring the country kept making references to it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

too much time talking about trump, the thing everyone else was already talking about, and her record, which we all already knew about, and not enough talk about doing great things for America.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

As a white male, Trump would have done much better than he did historically, if he had made a dull website and instead of touring the country kept making references to it.

No don't you see her disappearing for the whole month of August was a tactical stroke of genius. That's why Democrats need to keep silent now when the media is attacking Trump, it's the only way to defeat him

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

too much time talking about trump, the thing everyone else was already talking about, and her record, which we all already knew about, and not enough talk about doing great things for America.

Also long term issues with the party itself. Democrat ground game was so weak they weren't even able to communicate to people that ACA = Obamacare. The party bureaucracy and her campaign also treated enthusiasm among their own voters as something unseemly and unnecessary, and rather relied on technocratic decision making, old media advertising and fake celebrity bullshit than on generating and using an upswell of volunteer support.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The elections over now and all that's left is a whole lot of primary chat so it's time to wrap this thread up.

• Locked thread