Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just want my goddamned super science ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

Dumbasses in the conspiracy corners of society have been predicting a runaway planet or one with a really eccentric orbit will kill us any day now, usually they call it Nibiru or Planet X.

nemesis

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Concordat posted:

Dumbasses in the conspiracy corners of society have been predicting a runaway planet or one with a really eccentric orbit will kill us any day now, usually they call it Nibiru or Planet X.
So you're saying we're due.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

nemesis is the evil brown dwarf twin of our sun

you can tell its evil because it has a goatee

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Reading about conspiracy theories can be fun in moderation, you also see a lot of reused ideas and popular targets.

For instance, the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) runs a facility in Alaska somewhere that looks at the ionosphere with a radio transmitter ran by DARPA. It is pretty unremarkable aside from being open to foreign scientists.
It's also the nefarious culprit to a staggering amount of conspiracy theories, usually claiming it is used to control the weather, generate earthquakes, act as long range mind control, or a giant ghostbusters soul-trap.

Basically, this lets conspiracy theorists apply the "false flag" narrative to natural disasters.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
An antimatter explosion sufficiently large enough in the atmosphere would still be bad news, but what path is it taking that doesn't put it through even weak concentrations of hydrogen? For that matter, where is it coming from?

It'd be a rad super weapon though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Rogue scientist gambles away container of Ice-Nine in rigged hand of blackjack which ends up in the hands of a bitter mafioso with no family and terminal cancer.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
And only one man can stop him

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

‘The people out there,’ Yuri said, ‘what do they have? Nothing!’

I looked at him, puzzled. ‘Well,’ I said, ‘I suppose it makes a difference whether it’s the West End or Wester Hailes we’re talking about, but I’d say apart from the homeless most people have a great deal more than nothing. They have better housing and food and entertainment and so on than—’

‘Yes, yes, yes,’ said Yuri. ‘I know what it is to be compared with, thank you very much. In terms of having their own culture, their own politics, they have nothing. In those respects the working classes of the West are little better than slaves.’

‘Now wait a minute,’ I said. ‘That’s—’

‘Look at yourself, Lucy. You do not have nothing. What you got from your mother was a tradition, a knowledge, a culture that came from … her mother and her grandparents. A certain confidence, a set of reflexes – I can see it in the way you move, the way you think, the way you hold your head. You may be a very uncertain young woman, you may be in a lowly occupation – though still well-off, in a way – but you have it in you to rise, and when you do, you will find that life is not strange but somehow what you were born to. You may not know this now, and you may disagree with me now, but you will see.’

‘Disagree with you?’ I said. ‘Why should I? I’m flattered.’

Yuri flashed his bushy brows at Ross. ‘You see?’

Ross shrugged, and sipped his double espresso.

‘What’s that got to do with – oh!’ I said. ‘I see! They wanted to wipe out people like me!’

‘There was a great deal of that – as I have just said. But for the rest, the other hundred thousand, I mean something quite different. The possessing classes, the classes from which you come, have a culture of their own, and great political experience. Experience acquired over centuries – over millennia! Their schoolboys did not study the classics of antiquity for nothing! But it is not learned from books. The lower classes, the working classes, no matter what their standard of living may be at any given time, have nothing of that kind.’

‘That’s ridiculous!’ I said. ‘Look at any big bookshop – Waterstone’s in Princes Street – they have walls of classics, in cheap editions. The working classes can read Aristotle if they want.’

Not that they want to, I forbore to add.

‘Ah, now Aristotle—’ Ross began, but I hadn’t finished.

‘Not to mention all the other education and culture ordinary people have access to, that they never did in the past, that’s far more than slaves or serfs ever—’

‘Exactly!’ said Yuri. ‘The working classes have access to culture – we can argue about how real that access is, but yes. The fact remains that the only culture they have is that of the classes above them – because they have none of their own. Likewise in politics.’

‘What about the Labour Party?’ Ross demanded.

Yuri joined in my hollow laugh.

Ross made a face. ‘All right.’

‘Now,’ Yuri went on, ‘let us imagine that in some particular country, the working classes acquire first a party, then a state, then a culture. We are speaking of a revolution, of course, but imagine – armies, universities, secret police, diplomats, millions of people who all have to at least pretend to believe that they are in the service of the working class. You can imagine it, yes?’

‘Kind of,’ I said, grudgingly. ‘It sounds scary.’

‘Precisely!’ cried Yuri, finger upraised. ‘Now – imagine what it would take to destroy that.’ He brought the finger slicing down. ‘That was 1937.’

‘Just as I’ve always said.’ Ross’s voice had the tone of someone slipping into the deep, comfortable ruts of an old argument. ‘Stalin destroyed the Party.’

‘The Party was destroyed, yes, but that was not Stalin’s doing,’ said Yuri. ‘It was Yezhov’s.’

‘Ah, of course, Yezhov,’ said Ross, sarcastically. ‘Stalin’s loyal executioner!’

‘Disloyal,’ said Yuri, making it sound like a pedantic correction. ‘Or so he confessed.’

Ross snorted. ‘He confessed to the secret police that he was a traitor who had, as head of the secret police, had the secret police beat and torture countless innocent people until they confessed to being traitors … you see the problem?’

‘Of course I see the problem. The evidence is thin, I agree, and tainted, but …’ He shrugged, and spread his hands. ‘It’s what we have.’

‘But Yuri,’ I said, ‘I thought the people whom this guy Yezhov slaughtered were supposed to be part of a conspiracy to overthrow Stalin and restore capitalism.’

‘They were supposed to be, yes. Some of them were, at least to the extent that they hoped to remove Stalin forcibly from office and return to a market economy – like Deng Xiaoping did in China, though in his case the revolutionary tyrant was removed by natural causes. Anyway – Yezhov was part of the conspiracy, or of an overlapping or rival conspiracy. He killed many innocent people, as well as rival conspirators, to cover for the conspiracy and to advance his own aims. Stalin started the Terror, but it ran out of his control, and struck down far more people than he had intended – which number was, God knows, large enough.’

‘But that’s—’ I shook my head. ‘It’s like saying Hitler didn’t know about the Holocaust.’

Yuri stood up. ‘I need some fresh air,’ he said, taking his cigarette pack and lighter from his jacket pocket as he left.

conspiracy!!!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Concordat posted:

There is a theoretical planet X as well as a brown dwarf sun, though neither have been observed directly.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2016/01/researchers-see-signs-of-a-real-planet-x
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(star)

There is also Sedna, which has been confirmed to exist.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Jan 8, 2017

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
zdr how does it feel to know that all astronomy textbooks willl be purged because nasa dared claim climate change was real

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Baloogan posted:

things i worry about :
  • genetic warfare (some crazy scientest develops a virus that changes our genes and spreads without causing symptoms)
  • ofc the usual nuclear warfare, chemical warfare, biological warfare etc lamo
  • religious warfare (already happening lol!)
  • a big bunch of volcanos erupting causing air travel to hault and city air quality to go down
  • global warming
  • global cooling
  • the sun getting older
  • debirs traveling near light speed impacting earth
  • debris traveling near light speed impacting moon
  • debris traveling near light speed impacting sun
  • ANTIMATTER debris hitting earth, moon, sun etc
  • aliens
  • a lack of aliens (wtf @ universe in that case)
  • aliens who are down with trump (hellllll yeah)
  • MAGA weather
  • huge global snowfall, snowball earth
  • my car's battery is like, near death
  • some sort of scary math poo poo crawling out of the depths of the mandlebrot
  • civilization collapse for some dumb reason
  • mass hypnosis (everyone on earth hypnotized)
  • multidimensional whatsit (like, 4D aliens)
  • angels and demons etc
  • atmosphere set on fire
  • asteroids
  • BIG asteroids
  • meteors
  • BIG meteors
  • we find that eventually the voyager space craft smashes into a big glass wall that our solar system is in a big snowglobe essentially
  • a nearby galaxy collapsing into a big black hole that shoooooots out a big radioactive beam that intersects the earth and over a 24 hour period sterelizes most of the earth
  • black hole hitting the earth
  • a rouge earth hitting the earth
  • a huge alien space ship hitting the earth
  • someone invents a joke so funny it kills you after a day or so (so it can spread)
  • the plot of rainbow 6 (the book) martin skraliekzi makes a vaccine for the next ebola but whoops the vaccine is ebola and martin skrailaili giggles as the earth dies
  • biochem warfare
  • biochem trolling (again martin skrirsrksri)
  • the economic system just fails, like ATMs and POS stop working and no one knows why
  • everyone realizees that money is BS and its just numbers on a computer and paper
  • jesus returns and is arrested and executed again and hes like "lamo"
  • nearby supernova
  • AIs etc

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i am not worried about debris hitting the sun at lightspeed b/c it is a big boy and can take care of itself

• Locked thread