Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

How are you guys picking your team's? I'm having a hard time deciding. Thinking about hawkeye x chunli but I'm still having a hard with deciding who to pair with my hawkeye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How on earth do I unlock the rest of the roster? So Ive done almost all single player stuff with different teams and tried p much everything. Haven't tried multiplayer yet

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Keegers posted:

How are you guys picking your team's? I'm having a hard time deciding. Thinking about hawkeye x chunli but I'm still having a hard with deciding who to pair with my hawkeye
in a game where it is harder to control the entire screen, hawkeye actually shines in this game as having the tools to do it against any character. i would say the thing to look for in a hawkeye partner is someone who can get across the screen fast enough after tagging in to otg when he gets a knockdown. the entire cast may be able to do it somehow, haven't played with enough characters to know for sure. you can stay fullscreen with hawkeye and play your game, hitconfirm into tag, and capitalize off the zoning.

the other thing to keep in mind is that you're really gonna want someone who excels in moving across the screen and opening someone up to cover for hawkeye's flaws. i'd say ultron, strider, zero, dante, chun, captain marvel, nova, thanos, iron man, and spidey are characters to look at. but if you were committed to a team that just wants to dominate the screen and capitalize off hits, you can make that work too. game is super flexible.

cams fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 21, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Who are the wolvie and magneto 'functions' in this game? You guys are really tempting me to pick this up.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
didnt they say Black Panther and Sigma would be playable at TGS? Why no trailer?

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Constellation I posted:

Who are the wolvie and magneto 'functions' in this game? You guys are really tempting me to pick this up.

Ultron seems like a great Magneto replacement.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

J2DK posted:

Ultron seems like a great Magneto replacement.

It's Nova actually

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Constellation I posted:

Game looks like rear end, story is rear end, everything about the game is rear end except gameplay. Oh netcode happens to be decent as well.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Keegers posted:

How are you guys picking your team's?

X and Zero, because, video games, you see,

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Game really does look like rear end, but some matches at NLBC last night looked pretty fun. Don't really give a gently caress about story.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Madcosby posted:

How on earth do I unlock the rest of the roster? So Ive done almost all single player stuff with different teams and tried p much everything. Haven't tried multiplayer yet

You type in your credit card number at the DLC store

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Isn't the full roster already unlocked? Minus DLC, of course.

I'm not super worried about settling on a team just yet, way too early and the game is too expansive to figure that poo poo out just yet. I might just go with whatever looks good at SoCal Regionals this weekend, probably just copy what Justin Wong or FChamp picked, since they've been playing the game for a couple months. Friday night has some exhibitions between a few big names that have been playing for a while.

Gamora seemed cool and jumpy so I started learning her combos. Ghost Rider has massive normals that I should be able to get cheap wins with online so he's filling the second slot, for now. Might want to get a beam character instead though.

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 21, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

cams posted:

in a game where it is harder to control the entire screen

can you explain why you think this? or what game you're saying it's harder to control than screen than (mvc3? sf5? breakers revenge?)

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
My guess: Projectile deflection nerfs a few characters, and no more spamming HIDDEN MISS-ISLES or any other projectile assist.

I'd say I agree but I also haven't played much MvC3

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

androo posted:

My guess: Projectile deflection nerfs a few characters, and no more spamming HIDDEN MISS-ISLES or any other projectile assist.

thats not how this game works anymore

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

androo posted:

I'd say I agree but I also haven't played much MvC3

instead of spamming hidden missiles or other assist you can just tag cancel some big projectile or other move and have that be an assist that just covers half of the screen or keeps them locked down whenever you want (recovery before you can retag is shorter than all the scary assist calls come off cooldown in mvc3 AND they come out faster because there's no startup where the character leaps onscreen). on top of this the screen itself is a lot smaller

in mvc3 a couple characters with a specific team setup could take advantage of TAC to instantly go "it's my turn to hit buttons now" from fullscreen at the cost of 2-3 meters. because of free tag canceling now every character paired with someone with a beam or similar projectile super can do that and for less meter too.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The story mode in this game is D O P E as gently caress. It's so good y'all.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Coffee Mugshot posted:

The story mode in this game is D O P E as gently caress. It's so good y'all.

If nothing else I'm interested in learning the context for this:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

ROFL Octopus posted:

If nothing else I'm interested in learning the context for this:

No context, Ryu being a scientist experienced in multi-dimensional convergence theory just happens.

It's one of those moments that's just perfect enough that you know it had to be completely accidental

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That kinda owns

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I thought it was kind of obvious from context that Bruce Banner was the primary scientist and Ryu was along for the ride because he and Hulk get along.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wanderer posted:

I thought it was kind of obvious from context that Bruce Banner was the primary scientist and Ryu was along for the ride because he and Hulk get along.

Even more so, Ryu gives Hulk that advice that his master gave him about controlling the raging demon. Story has so many good references.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the "Ryu is a scientist that's stupid" thing comes from people who decided there weren't already a thousand things to make fun of with this game and decided to make up more

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

How long does the story I take I played through about the same length as the demo and stopped.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
2 and a half hours,

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Seemlar posted:

No context, Ryu being a scientist experienced in multi-dimensional convergence theory just happens.

It's one of those moments that's just perfect enough that you know it had to be completely accidental

How many crossover games has Ryu been featured in? My man has an honorary doctorate in weird convergent poo poo.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I like Thanos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMfqiAAlS0

I am really starting to understand this game mechanically, however it all falls apart the second I play a match because of all the wackiness overwhelms my SF/MK based mind.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Can you turn off auto combos?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Medullah posted:

Its right in the controller settings yeah.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Medullah posted:

Yea in the button settings, there is an option to tap over. Easy to miss.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

darealkooky posted:

can you explain why you think this? or what game you're saying it's harder to control than screen than (mvc3? sf5? breakers revenge?)

darealkooky posted:

instead of spamming hidden missiles or other assist you can just tag cancel some big projectile or other move and have that be an assist that just covers half of the screen or keeps them locked down whenever you want (recovery before you can retag is shorter than all the scary assist calls come off cooldown in mvc3 AND they come out faster because there's no startup where the character leaps onscreen). on top of this the screen itself is a lot smaller

in mvc3 a couple characters with a specific team setup could take advantage of TAC to instantly go "it's my turn to hit buttons now" from fullscreen at the cost of 2-3 meters. because of free tag canceling now every character paired with someone with a beam or similar projectile super can do that and for less meter too.
i was more directly comparing marvel infinite to marvel 3, and most of the difference comes from the lack of assists. but the blockstun pressure you're describing isn't really "controlling" though. i am talking more about neutral situations where it becomes a lot harder in this game to "cover" your approach. most of the higher level offense being exhibited in this game right now is the blockstun pressure you describe, and that'll always be a huge part of it. but most characters have very particular angles they can cover on any moment, say if you're trying to play defensively while your opponent is moving in. proper use of a good true zoner like hawkeye will disrupt that style. not entirely, but enough to possibly force adaptation.

someone playing ultron dorm, for instance, is gonna be putting you in blockstun all day and making you eat triangle jump pressure. they will likely not try to pressure you at all unless they can make you block first, which is easy with that team. but, as gamora (with the help of reality stone), i can completely zone out an ultron dorm team. her double shot is one of the best projectiles in the game, cannot be reflected, comes from all kinds of angles, and is a fairly easy hitconfirm into full combo. unless i make a bad choice to engage when i shouldn't, i control the screen with gamora, even against an insane team like ultron dorm.

this is why i think characters like hawkeye, strange, rocket, and arthur (aaand gamora for some weird reason) are going to be interesting because there are tons of teams that want to do blockstrings into tag pressure, and these characters excel at controlling the screen and making it harder for "gameplan" teams to execute.

similarly, gamora/chun/firebrand/spidey will all be super interesting because they are more scramble characters who will be in positions that "gameplan" players are less familiar with when it comes to hitconfirming, executing proper combos into setups, etc. due to the sort of "normalization" of combo damage, the utility and playstyle of each character is way more important, and there will be many different ways to play your team. and not just that, the team/stone you are playing against is actually going to make a lot of players have to change up their play, which was not really a thing in marvel 3. other than accounting for a phoenix or something, a player pmuch knew how he was gonna play before they knew what they'd be playing against.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Its right in the controller settings yeah.
also, while not important for people who just wanna have fun, but tournament ruleset (as of now) is no auto combo, no auto super jump, no easy hyper combo.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Anyone else notice two button hyper moves come out if you hit hk then hp after not even at the same time like trying to do two different attacks. Input buffer must be pretty big.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Made a thread because no one else did.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835085&

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wasn't this thread the thread already?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chev posted:

Wasn't this thread the thread already?

OP has withdrawn from the tournament.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

cams posted:

also, while not important for people who just wanna have fun, but tournament ruleset (as of now) is no auto combo, no auto super jump, no easy hyper combo.

Who has determined that?

Auto combo and auto super jump are bad all around, but easy hyper combo is actually very practical and existed in MvC2 and MvC3, so I don't see a reason to ban it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Medullah posted:

OP has withdrawn from the tournament.

right here.

Go to the new thread folks!

• Locked thread