Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Weeble posted:

Wiggly~wiggly~WiGglY

Do you go and pick up the Accursed Brew?

Lmao poo poo I knew I forgot to tell him to do something

ChaosArgate posted:

...gently caress. :negative:

Time to do the whole let's play over! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy poo poo this thing needs how much Arcane???

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Caul(iflower) of Cthulu

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

Holy poo poo this thing needs how much Arcane???

Because if you're doing enough of an Arcane build that you're using the Tools, you might as well go all the way and get the most out of them you can.

The Black Sky Eye and the Accursed Brew are the two best spells/tools in the game. ACB with its ridiculous cost has nothing on those spells. The Gloves are still really, really good though.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 8, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Blacksky Eye and the Executioner's Gloves are both absolutely nuts with high arcane. Poor Amygdala doesn't stand a chance.

Shedrakzo
Sep 2, 2011
That Milkweed Rune looks amazing. If I could play the game, I don't think I'd ever take that thing off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Your frenzy buildup is pretty insane :v:

All that 70 insight is really tanking the resistance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XteNQkYKTp0

By the way, here's the Oprhan failure reel I mentioned if you want to see me suffer during the recording of my own LP of the game. This is the only surviving footage of my THIRTY SEVEN attempts at fighting the Orphan.

edit: featuring THAT loving SHRUB in the last death

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 9, 2017

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The music was a nice touch. :allears:

On another note, who would win in a scream-off?

Orphan of Kos
Ludwig
or
Cleric Beast/Laurence

Or rather, which scream triggers you more?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
It's not that Yarnham has a queen; it's that Yarnham is named after Queen Yarnham.

She was the last queen of the ancient Pthumerians; you know, the guys whose chalice dungeons you go traipsing through.

She is also Mergo's mother.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 12, 2017

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Also, the Chalices = Lore thing? Well, there is a huge lore thing riiiiight at the end of the Pthumeru Chalice chain, related to Queen Yharnam. How do you open that final layer of Pthumeru Chalice? Well, it requires that single Living String you just obtained from its only source.

You can buy Blood Rocks after killing the Wet Nurse. It's really annoying because it's the best thing to spend Insight on, so it's a good idea to save up, but then you spend the entire game having high Insight. At least after you bought all the armors because FASHUN.

Finally, if you gently caress up (or consciously make, I guess) a simple choice coming up very soon, Mergo's Wet Nurse might well be your final boss. Which is absolutely underwhelming, as you stated correctly; considering the point where you fight it, even with no DLC in-between, the Wet Nurse is really easy.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"Fancy Babysitter" Yeah, let's go with that. Not a walking baby bottle or anything, just a fancy babysitter.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

'Angel of Death' apparently doesn't pay well it seems. I guess having extra arms is useful for changing diapers.

Were all the people sitting in chairs outside the Mergo fight room people whose brains became stillborn? Because that's a lot of people mingling with Mergo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So fun fact about the Wet Nurse, it's probably not a real creature. Neither is the Orphan of Kos for that matter. Both are constructs made by dead infant Great One consciousnesses to protect themselves based on something from near or at the time of their birth.

The Wet Nurse is basically a very confused combination of the things that make up the Shadows of Yharnam, who are based on the archaic meaning of the term and are Queen Yharnam's personal guards, so of course her son is protected by a Nightmarish version of them. Meanwhile the Orphan of Kos is actually a Hunter, because the Sweet Child of Kos watched as Gehrman assaulted the fishing hamlet for Byrgenwerth, and Gehrman was in turn cursed to experience this assault from the other end, hence his connection to the Orphan so that he could experience the Sorrow of the Sweet Child.

All the people in the chairs are the rest of the School of Mensis, they're colleagues of Micolash who didn't get to keep themselves as whole as he did.

Presumably making contact fried everyone but Micolash in the dreamland and everyone including Micolash out of them.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 14, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Wet Nurse is basically a very confused combination of the things that make up the Shadows of Yharnam, who are based on the archaic meaning of the term and are Queen Yharnam's personal guards, so of course her son is protected by a Nightmarish version of them.

I think Mergo is female. In fact other than Formless Odeon aren't all the Great Ones female?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Just for fun; a list of the known/encountered Great Ones.

Formless Oedon: Mergo's 'father', and the one to impregnate Arianna and Fake Iosefka. Also the source of the 'Old Blood.'

Ebrietas: The Great One with which the Choir successfully made Contact. Some kind of connection to Rom.

Mergo: Child of Oedon and Queen Yarnham. The Great One that the School of Mensis made Contact with. Source of the Nightmare of Mensis. One of two successful examples of Great One progeny.

Mergo's Wet Nurse: Kind of a self-explanatory title there.

Kos (some say Kosm): Was hanging out in basically Innsmouth. The first Great One to be Contacted; by Byrgenwyrth. Got REAL pissed at all of the college's experiments/sacking the village, and thus created the plague of beasts out of vengeance.

Sweet Child/Orphan of Kos: The OTHER example of successful Great One reproduction. Pretty sure it is the source of the Nightmare that traps the Hunters even after death. Not 100% sure though.

Amygdala: A lesser Great One, and there are a lot of them.

Thinking on it, Oedon may have been 'encountered' before Kos (some say Kosm). The Fishing Hamlet was raided by what was essentially the first Hunters, and Hunters get their powers from blood; the Old Blood. I'm pretty sure the lore is that Byrgenwyrth scholars found the ancient chalice dungeon catacombs beneath Yarnham and got their exploring on. There, they found the Old Blood, beginning Yarnham's practice of magical Blood Ministration. In searching for more evidence of these Great One's that gave them such power/knowledge, they found the Fishing Hamlet.

The lore of this game is fun.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 14, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Weeble posted:

Thinking on it, Oedon may have been 'encountered' before Kos (some say Kosm). The Fishing Hamlet was raided by what was essentially the first Hunters, and Hunters get their powers from blood; the Old Blood. I'm pretty sure the lore is that Byrgenwyrth scholars found the ancient chalice dungeon catacombs beneath Yarnham and got their exploring on. There, they found the Old Blood, beginning Yarnham's practice of magical Blood Ministration. In searching for more evidence of these Great One's that gave them such power/knowledge, they found the Fishing Hamlet.

This is the part that most confuses me about the timeline, whether the Fishing Village was found before or after the Chalice Dungeons.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

A little late because I spent basically all of yesterday on a plane, but that's it for the LP! I hope you enjoyed the ride, because I certainly did!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
:toot:

It's such a shame that you don't get the Burial Blade earlier, it's easily my favorite weapon.

So, you played Dark Souls 3? :grin:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
:toot: Yep, you're a squid now. I'm sure someone else will write a better lore effort post than what I could anyway so I'll leave it to them.

I sure had fun watching, thanks for the LP.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

White Coke posted:

I think Mergo is female. In fact other than Formless Odeon aren't all the Great Ones female?

Amygdala is at least described as Lord, and the Orphan has Gehrman's voice as they cry with exactly the same sound.

White Coke posted:

This is the part that most confuses me about the timeline, whether the Fishing Village was found before or after the Chalice Dungeons.

This one is pretty easy though, the Chalice Dungeons real world location was found first, then Byrgenwerth was founded to investigate it. Byrgenwerth itself is built over an entrance to the Pthumerian dungeons, which is what is likely beneath that one inaccessible trap door. Gherman works for Byrgenwerth as probably a groundskeeper or something, hence his fairly simple clothes and using a Scythe.

Eventually they hear about the Fishing Hamlet being weird and Byrgenwerth investigates, when the Fishing Hamlet won't tell them what they want they send in Gehrman to help facilitate the scientific process. I personally don't think there were any hunters other than Gehrman because this happens before the founding of the Hunter's Workshop, but there might have been based on some weird timeline stuff.

After the Fishing Hamlet Massacre proves fruitless Laurence decides to found the Healing Church, and Gehrman founds the Hunter's Workshop alongside it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The music for the Gehrman fight is the best music in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A child is born! Congrats on being a kid, then a squid :toot:

Basically you chowing down on those umbilical cords gave you so much insight that you were able to resist the Moon Presence's influence when it tried to trap you in the dream and turn you into Gehrman 2.0 via bear hug. Then you absorbed its power when it died and thus you am become squid, destroyer and/or shaper of worlds.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 15, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

:toot:

It's such a shame that you don't get the Burial Blade earlier, it's easily my favorite weapon.

So, you played Dark Souls 3? :grin:

That's probably what NG+ runs are for! Also this was the last Souls game I had yet to play, as I mentioned in the OP, so unless From decides to make another, this'll probably be it for my blind Souls LPs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Congratulations, Argate. It's... a squid.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think the guy at the very beginning is Iosefka.

The actual Iosefka, who shortly gets killed by the fake one.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
No, you can talk to the actual Iosefka in the game and receive Iosefka's Blood Vials from her. She's a woman, and she gets replaced with the imposter after you reach Cathedral Ward. You can tell because her appearance, voice actor and attitude change.

The guy at the beginning is indeed just some random blood minister as far as I know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It'd be in keeping with Souls if you weren't actually anyone special, just someone plucked by fate who happened to make it through in the end.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

That's probably what NG+ runs are for! Also this was the last Souls game I had yet to play, as I mentioned in the OP, so unless From decides to make another, this'll probably be it for my blind Souls LPs.

drat, well, maybe we'll get Bloodborne 2! Y'all had some great chemistry, gonna watch Demon's Souls and Hitman now.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

tiistai posted:

The guy at the beginning is indeed just some random blood minister as far as I know.

Who does apparently makes a reappearance in the DLC as the booby trapped wheelchair man guarding the Boomhammer. Checking the character model shows that boomchair man is the only instance of that hat and blindfold being used in the game outside of the opening cut-scene.

And to add on to the bit about Iosefka, the Celestial Emissary ChaosArgate found just standing in the the clinic is what became of the real Iosefka. If you kill her you get another Iosefka Blood Vial. No Earthly idea why you can find one before Mergo's Wet Nurse next to the short cut Argate managed to miss though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Congrats on finishing bloodborne! And for having a hotter nursemaid than Mergo? Assuming The doll is not going to chuck you into the ocean with a tentacle wrapped around a tiny gun like the tiny hunter you are :3:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

value-brand cereal posted:

Congrats on finishing bloodborne! And for having a hotter nursemaid than Mergo? Assuming The doll is not going to chuck you into the ocean with a tentacle wrapped around a tiny gun like the tiny hunter you are :3:

Or have its brain outgrow its head and start singing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Strayed posted:

And to add on to the bit about Iosefka, the Celestial Emissary ChaosArgate found just standing in the the clinic is what became of the real Iosefka. If you kill her you get another Iosefka Blood Vial. No Earthly idea why you can find one before Mergo's Wet Nurse next to the short cut Argate managed to miss though.

I assumed that it was meant to be a reveal that the real Iosefka was not necessarily completely innocent, and was part of the School of Mensis to mirror the fact that the Imposter was part of the Choir.

• Locked thread