Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope this thread is still around when the ps6 launches

If they make it $900 or whatever I'll still be here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Midjack posted:

I was kind of surprised they didn't build that into the PS5 controller.

One of the reasons I'm holding out on a PS5 is because I know I'll also want to get the stupid $200 controller with the back buttons on it. Hopefully 8bitdo / somebody comes out with a good 3rd party option, bonus if it has Hall Effect sticks, too.

In actual PS4 game talk, Infinite Wealth runs really well and doesn't make my Pro sound like a jet engine. A rarity these days.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I got rid of my PC when I moved so PS4 has been handling most of my gaming duties the last ~6 months.

Enjoying getting through the backlog of games I bought/downloaded - lately it's been Ghost of Tsushima which is pretty fun and picturesque. Probably back to RDR2 once I'm finished with that.

Have also gotten a lot of mileage out of Deep Rock Galactic, play most Saturday nights for a few hours with a friend on the West coast. Accidentally left it set to open last weekend and had two random pubbies join our game, was kinda fun but went back to private after that.

Re back paddles: yeah I love 'em, got really used to having them on the Steam Controller. Have almost overpaid for a Scuff a couple times because I'd like them on the PS4, kinda forgot about that extra attachment for the DS4.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Midjack posted:

I was kind of surprised they didn't build that into the PS5 controller.

SCUF has a patent on controllers with integrated paddles. They're even suing Valve for it because of the Steam controller.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

univbee posted:

SCUF has a patent on controllers with integrated paddles. They're even suing Valve for it because of the Steam controller.

What about back buttons and not paddles? Like, Microsoft has the Elite Controller with paddles but there are loads of third party controllers manufacturers like Hori, Thrustmaster, PDP, Razer, Nacon and more that use integrated back buttons.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Guillermus posted:

What about back buttons and not paddles? Like, Microsoft has the Elite Controller with paddles but there are loads of third party controllers manufacturers like Hori, Thrustmaster, PDP, Razer, Nacon and more that use integrated back buttons.

They (and Sony) do but they have to pay a premium to SCUF for licensing, and because of this it’s not cost-effective to have the option on a stock controller.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

univbee posted:

Ah ok, after the rumble debacle on the sixaxis/ds3 they probably don't want to even go there again.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well I'm glad I didn't bite the bullet on rollerdrome. will enjoy playing that next month

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I like playing Resogun on a Sunday or the first of the month because I can get the number one spot before that absolutely savage limey logs on and scores eleven billion stupid points on his first casual run

e checking the ship the top score was using has helped but I cannot last five minutes once I get to revenge bullets

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

GoutPatrol posted:

Well I'm glad I didn't bite the bullet on rollerdrome. will enjoy playing that next month

Speaking of PS+, if you don't have a PS5, A Plague Tale will not show up on your January Monthly Games page. You can still claim it through the app or PS online website, however.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Double posting, but was thinking of buying another PSVR (the original), so my partner can play Beat Saber again.

We had a fairly regular problem with the PS Move controllers where one would wig out and not work well. I had a few different ones but it seemed to happen across multiple devices. I don't recall it happening with SuperHot, which was the main other game I used the VR for. The room was pretty dark, FWIW.

Am starting over with a different console, and would obviously be different controllers/VR hardware. Curious if anyone else has dealt with this and if there were any fixes in case it starts happening again?

Would love a PS5/VR2 (played at my BiL's place) but definitely out of the budget rn.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Can I use a PS5 controller with a PS4?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

YggiDee posted:

Can I use a PS5 controller with a PS4?

Nope. Supposedly they'll work with a Brook adapter, but a PS4 won't recognize a Dualsense by default.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Weirdly enough you can use a DualSense with a PS3

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have a dualsense controller for some PC games, so I was hoping I could use it when I finally pick up a PS4. Bah!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Weirdly enough you can use a DualSense with a PS3

The PS3 can use a lot of Ximput controllers by default (think about most 3rd party ones) but it won't turn on/off the console. Same goes with the DS4. There's something I read for PS3 with CFW that they're trying to allow DS4 and DS5 features on PS3 which is wild.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
dinput, not xinput

Also some games don't want to play nice about it and you can't open the in-game XMB to quit (cfw might fix this?)

but for split screen stuff it generally works out well

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

dinput, not xinput

Also some games don't want to play nice about it and you can't open the in-game XMB to quit (cfw might fix this?)

but for split screen stuff it generally works out well

My bad dimput (Ximput started with the 360 pads iirc?). And yes, there's some CFW workaround for the annoying XMB thing but on with the DS4 usually works, at least wired (???) but sometimes doesn't wireless (????)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E nm

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 12, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Essential picks sale for march 2024

Is Solar Ash any good

Anthem for $3?

Prey?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anthem wouldn't even be good if it was free.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I went back and got the platinum trophy for Anthem two years ago. For 3 bucks it might be worth it just to visit an empty husk of a world? The flying and shooting are fun, but the actual missions are terrible. Most of them just have you slowly follow a radar, scan something, go to the next spot, scan, etc with a wave of enemies every now and then. Or picking up pieces of something and bringing it back to a central unit. You'll do that A LOT. Walking around the base in first person is also tedious.

The best parts of the game are free flying around the different zones and the Stronghold assaults. Stronghold missions might require co-op, can't remember, but good luck matchmaking with anybody if they do.

The first half of Prey was really cool. When it's just you in a seemingly abandoned space station with freaky bug things that could be any object in the room. Kinda goes down hill imo after it starts becoming something "bigger" than that, to keep it non-spoilery. Mooncrash is cool though, if it's the edition that comes with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Prey is great but runs like crap on PS4/5 unfortunately

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prey is so so bad on PS4. It’s one of the big reasons I got a series x

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

Is Solar Ash any good

Solar Ash is neat, it's like Jet Set Radio merged with Shadow of the Colossus. Skating and rail grinding is your main mode of movement and sometimes you have to do it on top of a gigantic thrashing monster

Prey does run like rear end but it's a very good immersive sim once your get deeper into it

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got a PS4 a couple of months ago for dirt cheap. And it's become my 6-year-old's dedicated console. I popped on and every controller is garbage. Just dead spots in the thumbstick, drift, all the problems. I've worked on PS4 controllers in the past and was surprised at how crappy the build quality was compared to other first party controllers. But I hadn't had much experience with their use other than on my PC until I switched to 8bitdo.

Is there a third party controller that is decent build quality? She plays Roblox and custom fortnite games so it's not like it needs to be a pro controller or anything. But I'd like to have something functional for when I get the hankering to play Spider-Man on the couch instead of on my PC.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I've seen the Terios Wireless Controller recommended on a few sites as s good, cheap option, but I've never tried one. It's like $22. Might be worth a shot at that price.

If you don't mind wired, the NACON compact controllers aren't bad. A little small, like the name says, but for a 6 year old that might be okay. Usually run about $40 on Amazon. I've had one that's lasted about 2 years, though I don't use that much compared to my other controllers.

The one I love, but can only recommend with huge caveats, is the HORI FPS+ Also about $40-$50 on Amazon. It's big, comfy, and uses the XBox sticks layout. The huge caveats are: It's also wired, there's no rumble, and the triggers are just buttons like L1 and R1. Supposedly that's better for shooting, but stuff like racing games are almost unplayable with it. No motion controls either.

Repair kits with stick replacements are like $15 if you ever want to give that a try again. Out of 4 DS4s I have a 50% fix rate with them. The ones that didn't work as well just need some tweaking but I got lazy.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Paying2Lurk posted:

I've seen the Terios Wireless Controller recommended on a few sites as s good, cheap option, but I've never tried one. It's like $22. Might be worth a shot at that price.

If you don't mind wired, the NACON compact controllers aren't bad. A little small, like the name says, but for a 6 year old that might be okay. Usually run about $40 on Amazon. I've had one that's lasted about 2 years, though I don't use that much compared to my other controllers.

The one I love, but can only recommend with huge caveats, is the HORI FPS+ Also about $40-$50 on Amazon. It's big, comfy, and uses the XBox sticks layout. The huge caveats are: It's also wired, there's no rumble, and the triggers are just buttons like L1 and R1. Supposedly that's better for shooting, but stuff like racing games are almost unplayable with it. No motion controls either.

Repair kits with stick replacements are like $15 if you ever want to give that a try again. Out of 4 DS4s I have a 50% fix rate with them. The ones that didn't work as well just need some tweaking but I got lazy.

I saw the hori recommended, but no headset jack is a killer(I don't let my 6yo play with strangers, by my Xbox is in the basement. Me, her, and my son sometimes die in fortnite together)

I ordered the Terios Wireless Controller. $6 extra for pink. Worth it. If it's bunk I'll get the nano. Wired is fine. the PS4 is on a lil cart with a lil TV and just gets moved wherever she wants to play it.

Thanks.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Paying2Lurk posted:

I've got a regular sized Nacon that's wireless, it's great. The offset thumbsticks are something I miss when I have to go back to one of the stock ones. Only niggle is that the paint on the buttons is quick to wear off, and it requires a separate USB dongle (which is annoying if you have PS VR, because that eats up every USB port on your PS4 if you have two Move controllers.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh. I eyeing 4TB SSD’s for PlayStation

There was a Samsung one that dropped from $400 to $200 during the early pandemic but now it’s back up to $325

Is Sandisk good? They have one for $250

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah the Sandisks are good.

Note that, if there are different classes of 4tb SATA SSD, the PS4 bottlenecks it enough that there isn't really any advantage in getting a "good" SATA SSD versus a slower one in terms of performance on the console itself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah I’m not actually concerned about performance, it’s just that they don’t make spinny hdd’s larger than 2tb

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I’m not actually concerned about performance, it’s just that they don’t make spinny hdd’s larger than 2tb

They do, the problem is that a 4Tb spinny drive won't fit into the PS4 internal slot. My solution years ago was a 1Tb SSD and then a 4Tb external USB 3.0 drive.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's worth mentioning that functionally you can play any ps4 game (there's only a handful that don't or are worse) on a ps5 and if you use an external hard drive they can be swapped between consoles easily.

But the ssd that can go in a ps4 and ps5 are different form factors so it's not very future proof.

Unless you're thinking you'll only have a ps4 going forward with no upgrade to a ps5, think about a smaller ssd, keep your more frequent games on it (anything with lots of loading and play often) and keep indies on an external hdd.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Guillermus posted:

They do, the problem is that a 4Tb spinny drive won't fit into the PS4 internal slot. My solution years ago was a 1Tb SSD and then a 4Tb external USB 3.0 drive.

Oh yeah I meant to say no 4TB 17mm hdds

Ineffiable posted:

It's worth mentioning that functionally you can play any ps4 game (there's only a handful that don't or are worse) on a ps5 and if you use an external hard drive they can be swapped between consoles easily.

But the ssd that can go in a ps4 and ps5 are different form factors so it's not very future proof.

Unless you're thinking you'll only have a ps4 going forward with no upgrade to a ps5, think about a smaller ssd, keep your more frequent games on it (anything with lots of loading and play often) and keep indies on an external hdd.

Yeahhhhh hmmmm

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Oh yeah I meant to say no 4TB 17mm hdds

Yeahhhhh hmmmm

What Ineffiable said is a good solution. Grab a 1Tb or 2Tb SSD for your PS4, keep the heavier games there and then use an USB external that you can use on your PS5 and PS4 in case some day you want to use both consoles.

I have my PS5 at home and the PS4 at my missus' and what I do is to have different games installed on the PS4 (1Tb SSD), some fighting games and beat shorter games while the PS5 does the heavy duty gaming.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

For what it's worth let me share some of my experience.

I put a big ssd in my ps4 pro way back in 2016 and it actually died earlier this year so don't think SSDs are bulletproof and good for nearly a lifetime just because they don't have spinny parts that can be prone to failure.

But my ps4 still sees weekly use so 8 years of ongoing use is pretty good I think.

My ps4 got a new 1tb ssd (smaller than the one I had before) installed into it and still going strong. But yeah I basically download only a few games to it and delete/install as needed. My ps5 currently has roughly 7tb of storage across internal/internal second ssd/external hdd (I'd like to upgrade the external hdd to a 8tb one day, I think that can hold my entire ps4 collection including ps+ stuff)

This is also a far far off plan but if Sony was ever to announce a shutdown of their services, I think I would try to get a brand new in box of whatever console supports the most titles, buy a brand new ssd/whatever future storage medium is plus external storage, download everything I can get and hope I can make it 8+ years with that collection. But maybe that may never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I might end up getting a 4TB ssd for the ps4, get a ps5 and wait a while for prices to come down before getting a big dumpster ssd for that one

I found that dudes are still selling 4TB ssd’s for the ps4 for cheap on eBay