Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I've been considering starting a channel. I am curious how you got started.

I would guess that step one is to create a new gmail account and then an attached youtube account.

How long was it before you could invest earnings back into the business. Better camera/mic/lights/perhaps green screen/actual licensed premiere.

How long did it take to get to 100/1000/10,000/100,000 subs?

From my research, it looks like 100k subs with consistently posted vids is about where one can expect to earn enough to go full time.

Have you begged for money on Patreon? How has that gone?

At what point did you turn on ads?

I could go on with tons of questions but I will leave it open now for anyone to share. I am not asking to share your channel as anonymity is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Read this at least.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
I know that Freddie Wong has an account here. I don't know what his username is, but if you can search the archives, he nade a thread here promoting Videogame Highschool when it was first released. I think he at least answered a few of your questions in that thread

There are also plenty of articles about this online, but anecdotally, most of my favourite Youtubers have Patreon accounts.

MettleRamiel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 7, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Interesting and incredibly negative read. It's also conflicting with the information I have found elsewhere. I suspect it is because these people are trying to do youtube shows with crews and lots of ancillary costs. That doesn't seem like a wise way of setting up shop. They are also giving 1/3 of their money to a youtube network which I can never find anyone recommending. The recognition problem in public could be annoying, but not everyone works in public facing roles.

Still, thanks for the link.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

A reason why you see so much effort designed to protect a small/growing youtube channel effort is because youtube has had a very exploitable content 'protection' takedown scheme implimented for the longest of time and only recently began to change it.

Practically anyone could and can claim any particular video for a multitude of vague and bullshit reasons and could soak any revenue up for themselves. This was on top of content stealing by places like Facebook who enabled and encouraged folks to take youtube content as their own and aggregate the views and none of the ad revenue would ever find its way to the original creator.

So often there were networks that attempted to protect promising youtube content creators for a large chunk of their revenue. A lone creator with no legal buffer would find themselves extensively ripped and abused. If you were to get any traction on youtube in a vulnerable state, the predatory agents likely will pounce on you.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
It seems all but the largest YouTubers make their money on ancillary products or endorsements. Unless you're PewtyPie it seems that YouTube is better used as part of a larger business because you need some killer view counts before you can start making money reliably.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Let us English posted:

It seems all but the largest YouTubers make their money on ancillary products or endorsements. Unless you're PewtyPie it seems that YouTube is better used as part of a larger business because you need some killer view counts before you can start making money reliably.

Yeah, pretty much every big-name or even middlin' Youtubs personality I've seen answering the OP's question (surprisingly, "how do I get started on Youtube?" comes up fairly often when they do a Q&A) basically said "do it because you love it, and if you're lucky, in two years you might make some money off of it." It's very much not the sort of thing you get into for the money.

Edit: even a lot of the people who are fulltime Google employees do ads/endorsements on the side, yeah. See how Hannah Hart was recently pushing cider and last I saw was working for a pasta company.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 13, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

So often there were networks that attempted to protect promising youtube content creators for a large chunk of their revenue. A lone creator with no legal buffer would find themselves extensively ripped and abused. If you were to get any traction on youtube in a vulnerable state, the predatory agents likely will pounce on you.

Short version, copyright law in the US is really weird. One of the best known examples is Fox taking content from Youtube, then DMCA'ing the content themselves. Info here:

https://torrentfreak.com/fox-stole-a-game-clip-used-it-in-family-guy-dmcad-the-original-160520/

In this case, I'm willing to give Fox the benefit of the doubt. It's simply way too blatant, and Fox has far more to lose than the paltry cash the creator probably made from it. But it's a good example of how the DMCA system can be abused, because repurposing content is both valid under the system but can be used to invalidate the originator of the content due to automated takedowns that can be time consuming and costly to reverse.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

This guys shows exactly how much he makes from youtube/patreon and his forum ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qdOAEQnps

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Interesting and incredibly negative read. It's also conflicting with the information I have found elsewhere.

Maybe anecdotal but I think it's fairly accurate. A couple years ago I hung out a lot with a fairly famous Instagrammer. He was constantly on all expenses paid trips to exotic locales and had plenty of huge brands contacting him to attend events etc.

Problem is that he would usually only get these kinds of perks, and not actual money. He even borrowed money from me at one stage to make his rent for the month. Couldn't pay for his $4 train tickets.

In any case I think it follows the general internet trend of people being too cheap to pay/be subject to advertising for content. Definitely don't get into it expecting to make money at any stage.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

It's common sense that only a tiny fraction of people will make decent cash on YouTube videos. Any business that a person can start from their desk chair, purely online, with virtually $0 starting investment, is going attract millions and millions of competitors, with the quality of content being anywhere from poo poo to gold. You will need to be way, way above the average in terms of effort, quality and some luck. It's just like how there are probably a million pop bands out there, but only 100 (or whatever) get a track in the Top 10 every year. Meanwhile, how many new car companies start up every year? Maybe a handful, because the barrier to entry is extremely high.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

doverhog fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 20, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

zmcnulty posted:

Maybe anecdotal but I think it's fairly accurate. A couple years ago I hung out a lot with a fairly famous Instagrammer. He was constantly on all expenses paid trips to exotic locales and had plenty of huge brands contacting him to attend events etc.

Problem is that he would usually only get these kinds of perks, and not actual money. He even borrowed money from me at one stage to make his rent for the month. Couldn't pay for his $4 train tickets.

In any case I think it follows the general internet trend of people being too cheap to pay/be subject to advertising for content. Definitely don't get into it expecting to make money at any stage.

Sounds like it's like being a model, which incidentally is also an awful career.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I've made a couple attempts at this, but mostly for fun. At one point I was a fairly high-level Magic the Gathering player, and was making content on the side mostly for fun. It never got really huge; at its peak I had a few hundred subscribers and would get a little over 1k views on my videos.

I do poker content now, but haven't really made much of an attempt to advertise it, and I'm not a high profile player so I doubt I'd ever get much attention for it anyway.

I've known a couple folks that have turned this type of thing into a successful Youtube / Twitch sort of thing, so I have some knowledge about what they did.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been considering starting a channel. I am curious how you got started.
What type of channel are you thinking of starting? Are you interested in some sort of specific topic or hobby, or are you just going for some broad appeal, vlog sort of thing? This greatly impacts your potential audience and how you should approach funding and other things.

If you want to do general interest videos like vlogs and whatnot, you potentially have a much wider audience, but your competition is huge. Also, as far as I can tell, it's really, really hard to know ahead of time what's going to resonate with the general public at any given time. Most of the successful tubers in this bucket just started making videos and lucked into finding an audience.

If you want to do topical / hobby, you're audience is going to be limited to people that are into that topic. However, I think there's a ton of potential here. If you find a hobby that you are A) uniquely good at and/or B) uniquely good at making content for, you can potentially attract a large market of dedicated viewers over time. If you're good enough at it, you can get a large staple of viewers that will watch the entirety of your videos, which is very important for ad revenue.

Depending on your hobby, the market might already be super saturated and hard to break through. There are already thousands of people doing gaming videos, and they are better than you at doing it. However, maybe you're really good at dirt biking and have found a novel way to film and present it - that might have potential. If your hobby already has lots of prominent folks making good content and lots of copycats, you're going to have to be incredibly creative and talented to grab a share of the audience.

On the plus side, I think you also have a better case for Patreon / Twitch subscribers in the hobby-based category, which in my opinion is a much more reliable way to get a consistent income.

In general, content needs to be high quality (great audio, good video), be uploaded consistently, be timely (e.g. cover games as soon as, if not before they come out), be unique, and be entertaining. Also, being one of the first to do something in a certain topic is huge. A lot of the big vlog and gaming video people today are just the people who have been doing it for the longest time.

quote:

I would guess that step one is to create a new gmail account and then an attached youtube account.

How long was it before you could invest earnings back into the business. Better camera/mic/lights/perhaps green screen/actual licensed premiere.

How long did it take to get to 100/1000/10,000/100,000 subs?
Look, if you're thinking this is a surefire thing that's definitely going to work out for you given enough time, you're delusional. For every Youtuber that's making a living doing it, there are 500 that made a serious attempt at it and failed. It often takes years to grow a respectable audience. Not to mention many of the Youtubers that have "made it" are only going to be a temporary flash in the pan that will fade out a few years from now. The vast majority of people who have "made it" started doing something for fun that happened to blow up; they didn't start out thinking they were going to rake in the money.

quote:

From my research, it looks like 100k subs with consistently posted vids is about where one can expect to earn enough to go full time.
What actually matters is how many minutes per day people spend watching your videos. This depends on how long your videos are, how often you post them, and what percentage of your viewers watch the whole video. 100k subs means nothing if you post 2, 30 minute videos a month and only 2% of your viewers watch the whole thing.

The people who do this for a living are making content constantly. Most profitable Twitch streamers are streaming 50+ hours a week. Successful gaming video folks like NL post many hour long videos a day, not to mention all the time spent prepping and editing, and all the content that gets left on the cutting room floor. Even when you're "making it," you're working your rear end off to constantly produce content.

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 23, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A few things about doing anything creative, ever.

1 - you will probably fail. That's fine. Better to try and fail then never try.
2 - nothing will be what you expected. An hour of youtube has more than an hour of drudgery behind it. A song has a bazillion hours of rehearsal. A painting has many failed paintings behind it. You may see how much effort it takes for sometimes no reward. That's fine. It may or may not be for you.
3 - start small and don't quit your day job. You may find that you only do it because you like it and can't imagine doing it full time. You may find you aren't good enough to be a star. That's fine. If you dip your toe in the water and like the temperature then take a swim.
4 - don't bet the farm. Start with simple, inexpensive, but adequate tools. No sense buying $6,000 of equipment only to find out you hate making videos. If you enjoy it and can afford it then invest more.
5 - the pros do not need the props. An amateur painter probably has a whole jar of brushes. A professional often has That One Brush they do everything with. Never feel like you should buy more gear for the sake of buying more gear. If the tools you have are doing their job they are the right tools.
6 - your first attempt will suck. That's fine. Make it anyway then make the next attempt suck less. Then repeat.

If you want to make videos then make some videos.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just read this

From staging a fake kidnap for a prank video, to filming an undercover sleepover in the White House loos — there isn’t anything that YouTubers won’t do for views.

And now, a new video from popular vlogger Lena Nersesian has left her viewers speechless, reports The Sun.

The popular online personality has claimed that she will be making a sex tape with fellow YouTuber Adam22 — but only if she reaches one million subscribers.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/youtuber-promises-to-release-sex-tape/news-story/e2140530c0fc7c7e6d31cecda89bbc39

This is the trash of society. Don't be part of this. Get a real job, go to school if you need to. Don't suck so hard at life that YouTube as a career seems like a good choice.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm just a video viewer, not a creator, but a simple thing where you can stand out is to understand the technical basics of a good video. Lighting, video quality, video stablization, video angle and audio for example.

Lighting: Do not film in the dark, do not film against the sun, prefer daylight, but if you're inside, consider investing in daylight-temperature (5000 Kelvin) lightbulbs for some laps, or your videos will have a yellow-ish tint.
Quality: Do not film with your goddamn smartphone. At least use a modern compact camera in HD.
Stabilization: Always set the camera on a stable surface, with a tripod or firm mount.
Angle: Do not film with one hand from your waist up, your face looks silly. Film from the front (or whatever makes sense).
Audio: Shield the microphone from the wind, and preferably have the microphone near you, don't walk around a room and back or the audio will fade in and out.

The hard part is of course making entertaining content and getting lots of views, but all of the above things are almost free and very easy to do, so popular channels will usually have them in order. Oh of course there are exceptions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fHcDSWemx0

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Never made any Youtube videos, but I do follow some channels regularly, and my advice is have a niche you are passionate about. That way if your channel fails you'll at least have done something you enjoyed. Trying to make generalist just for views content must be a miserable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

doverhog posted:

Never made any Youtube videos, but I do follow some channels regularly, and my advice is have a niche you are passionate about. That way if your channel fails you'll at least have done something you enjoyed. Trying to make generalist just for views content must be a miserable experience.

This is what I did. I run a youtube channel for scuba diving, and film my dives on some of the wrecks in the southern end of the Graveyard of the Atlantic or some of the dive trips my shop has sent me on. At the very worst, I've got cool videos with actual shipwrecks (including limited wreck penetration), fish, sharks, jellies, sea turtles, cavern dives, drift dives, night dives, etc. At best, someone sees a video and asks to hire me on as a local wreck guide or comes to my shop and signs up for a trip (which is then discounted/free for me, if I can get enough people to sign up).

• Locked thread