Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wish they'd do in-house cards, or at least license then to someone capable of print on demand.

Open Engine War cards for AT should not be a $100 third party purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Isn't enough for what though?

:capitalism:, of course. I'm not defending them lol.

moths posted:

I wish they'd do in-house cards, or at least license then to someone capable of print on demand.

:byodood:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

moths posted:

And legal to play Underworlds warbands that GW still sells the models for but doesn’t sell the cards for is idiotic.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno but a week ago the rules were that each person alternates deploys INDIVIDUAL fighters now you can deploy groups at a time.
Oh, interesting. In Warcry, each player divides their warband into three drops – dagger, shield, and hammer (these have to be equal numbers or close enough) and put them around different deployment zones, depending on the mission. This means that you start with your force split up, and you’ll need to think about what goes in which drop and how that affects your ability to complete the objectives. And not only the zones are different, but the timing is also different, so sometimes you only start with one group and the others join at the start of another turn, usually the second.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I’m currently reading through my into the dark rulebook, and I gotta say they really have something special in terms of the gallowdark setting here, I really hope they show more creativity with the environment in the future expansions and not do a copy-paste job like they did with shadowvaults, they set up some really interesting and unique possibilities in the lore of this being an insane moon sized ship hamonculus and it would super suck for them to squander it by repeating the exact same terrain like they did with the second expansion.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

JcDent posted:

Some weebs from Spain somehow manage to have a free army builder that's immediately updated with all the new profile changes and is hyperlinked to a rule wiki.

I know Wahapedia, but which one is this?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

rantmo posted:

I know Wahapedia, but which one is this?

Infinity, a different (better) skirmish game

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

a7m2 posted:

Ah, yeah I tried Infinity a few years ago and it's not my thing. Terrible rules nesting and a deeply Eurocentric POV for the Oceanic faction (Joan of Arc at the great hero? A war college named after a loving Nazi?) though I admit I haven't look at the most recent edition. Here I thought there was another option for 40k army builders beyond BattleScribe.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a7m2 posted:

Malifaux also has an absolutely top notch free app and is the best skirmish game I’ve ever played. Plus it’s got actually sensitive depictions of a wide variety of Earth cultures, though I’ll admit that’s a sliding scale - the old first edition holdovers are kind of cringey in places while the newer models are a LOT better.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Malifaux also has an absolutely top notch free app and is the best skirmish game I’ve ever played. Plus it’s got actually sensitive depictions of a wide variety of Earth cultures, though I’ll admit that’s a sliding scale - the old first edition holdovers are kind of cringey in places while the newer models are a LOT better.

They did scale back on a cheescake so thats good at least

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My experience with Malifaux miniatures was absolutely miserable, however. Flimsy, fiddly, and designed by a committee of vicious sadists.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

My biggest issue with malifaux is that apart from game rules every mini does a 1000 things. Itsl ike playing vet guard in kt on steroids and you have to be really invested to know what opponents minis do. Still I enjoy it way more than infinity

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Covermeinsunshine posted:

They did scale back on a cheescake so thats good at least

A lot of that is part of the same process of dragging their attitudes into the 21st century - the few remaining unpleasant models are holdovers from older editions.

Squibsy posted:

My experience with Malifaux miniatures was absolutely miserable, however. Flimsy, fiddly, and designed by a committee of vicious sadists.

This is less true than formerly, but still true to an extent. They really need to get better at spruing the models; the sculpts are fine but they’re carved up in really bizarre ways for assembly.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I love Malifaux, and can confirm that something like 60% of the kits are wonderful, 25% of them are a pain in the rear end, and 5% of them are mostly wonderful, but have one or two tiny pieces that make you want to give up the hobby.

Wyrd is a shining example of the "anti-GW" though. Free rules, free app made by them for playing, a free plugin for an open source table top game platform so you can play the game on the internet for free "officially", etc. That said, my GW pile of shame is still bigger than my Wyrd one. Although its much closer after Wyrd's Black Friday event :cry:

EDIT: I also edited the Necromunda post back a bit if anyone wants to give further feedback.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 12, 2022

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

So if I want the actual rules for Legionarries, is there anywhere I can actually buy them other than the GW app?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

counterspin posted:

So if I want the actual rules for Legionarries, is there anywhere I can actually buy them other than the GW app?

They're in the Nachmund book

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Spanish Manlove posted:

They're in the Nachmund book

One of my least favorite things about this version of KT is each new team requires you to buy a book for $50 plus a team, or buy the $200 box. The rules should be in the individual team boxes or a code for them or something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The modern KT has quite a following of Ork Freebooterz fans, if you know where to look.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
New thread is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019549

Take a look and let me know what needs adjusting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

rantmo posted:

Ah, yeah I tried Infinity a few years ago and it's not my thing. Terrible rules nesting and a deeply Eurocentric POV for the Oceanic faction (Joan of Arc at the great hero? A war college named after a loving Nazi?) though I admit I haven't look at the most recent edition. Here I thought there was another option for 40k army builders beyond BattleScribe.

I will confess to being a huge Infinity fan and I respect your right to not be into the same poo poo. But, good news, they did handle almost all the rules nesting with the release of the games' 4th edition (aka N4) a couple years ago.

I have to say I find your other objection a bit perplexing. Yes it is a bit silly that Joan of Arc (or a scifi 'recreation' of the idea of her) exists and leads an army of neo-catholic space knights. But that faction also has characters like Kirpal Singh, Stephen Rao and Bipandra - admittedly alongside some other European types.

I don't know what obscure snippet of the background names the PanOceanian war college but I'd guarantee you not even 1% of players could tell you what it is, and frankly unless it's the 'Hitler Academy' it's not too unrealistic. It has been sort of whitewashed from our historical awareness, but while the Allies rightly executed a lot of the Nazi political leadership, they still wanted some people to organise the West German Bundeswehr against the Soviets, so a lot of generals who were a-ok with the Nazis' political project were kept on. Incidentally that is responsible for a lot of the WW2 myths that permeate popular history, and definitely wargaming, to this day, all the Soviet human wave vs skilful German super-soldiers crap.

Sorry if that comes off as defensive. Infinity definitely has some weird poo poo, I will never stop ragging on them for their gender dimorphic models and pigeon-toes-and-pigtails aesthetic for female characters. But I think the fictional background is probably a lot less euro-centric than their player base, and I doubt they have any politically toxic ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone, this thread has been rebooted! Thank you to folks for doing that. I'm locking this thread so nobody gets lost. Update your bookmarks!