Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I did not try to finish it as quickly as possible because I did enjoy i most of the time, but I really picked up the pace towards the end because I got real sick of it in general. Finishing it in 40-50 hours would not change my opinion about the padding either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean can you give an example of something that felt like padding

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The game isn't really padded. The story is actually rather tight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought the dungeons were often just too long but that's about it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

The dungeons

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The only dungeon I thought was really padded was the Final dungeon really

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, only a couple of the dungeons felt like they went too long to me imo but then again I didn't fight everything in my path.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The only dungeon that was to long was the bonus dungeon which was just bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm more surprised at the claim that the game lacks breakpoints since basically every time you get on a boat is a breakpoint and the middle in particular is like eight anime episodes in a row each with a beginning, middle, and end where you go to sleep like it's Persona and start again the next morning.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

every dungeon felt like when it was about to end two extra zones were attached to it, and there were lots of spots were there were like two dungeons between you and your actual objective.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I actually said the story bits aren't actually far and wide between. It's definitely mostly dungeons that seem to be divided into so many subsections for no actual reason that started to get really tiresome. None of the story content was really subpar either and there was more of it than most singleplayer games have these days.

I mean, Xenoblade had a bunch of side quests where you had to collect bunch of bear asses but for some reason it didn't feel as tiresome for me personally. Guess I really didn't like the structure of the dungeon crawling in general.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

The fishing expedition was fun but also just kind of there, Laphicet gets his name and Rokurou gets a rock they could've BSed as coming from anywhere else. And there's some annoying backtracking a couple of times (Hellawes especially sticks out to me when I was racing through it with a couple of friends so we could all be playing) and they give you the Geoboard way later than you should get it.

Also the dungeons are rear end yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the dungeons were pretty padded but also you can save literally any time so if you wanna take a break you absolutely have the option

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah the fact that the Geoboard is unlocked so late and then also you have to reach an arbitrary point in an area to be able to use it is pointless. Just give you the thing at the beginning of the game and make the unlock tree at the end of the dungeon, bam.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is a goddamn unbelievable amount of padding in terms of dungeons and travel time.

If you're just on the main story it begins around the first point time you meet Artorius. There's a section where you do a dungeon, then go through the earthpulse, then there's another dungeon with basically no breathing room that is both a cave, then a longass area outside, then the cave again and then I /think/ you hit a town shortly after? You could have cut everything apart from the first cave segment with no real plot loss.

Then there's the water temple where there's a beach that's something like three or four huge screens long and serves literally no purpose other than being in your way before the next dungeon, which is a long one in of itself.

There are tonnes of examples of this, where transitional areas between dungeons last longer than the dungeons themselves and do nothing other than make the game longer.

Don't get me wrong, for a Tales game real progress has been made, but it's far from lean.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Then there's the water temple where there's a beach that's something like three or four huge screens long and serves literally no purpose other than being in your way before the next dungeon, which is a long one in of itself.

you're also forgetting to add the beach before the town which is also like two huge screens long

definitely my biggest complaint about this game, barring tiny instances of frustration in boss fights or very rare random encounters. when your stuns and status effects don't land because the rng no matter how many times you switch characters out and you're struggling along where everyone's bg is exhausted and everyone is down to 2 sg is the worst feeling.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Overworld zones like the coast are replacements for the overworld map in older RPGs and this has been true since Hearts. People just forget how long those could be and how slow you moved over those areas before.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone make a gif of the aircraft in abyss getting trapped in an endless loop of text boxes saying "nope can't fly here"

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Caphi posted:

Overworld zones like the coast are replacements for the overworld map in older RPGs and this has been true since Hearts. People just forget how long those could be and how slow you moved over those areas before.

This doesn't make them good, worthwhile, or fun. If there's no reason to have them besides walking through scenery and fighting random battles, they're better cut.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They tried that with FF13 and look what happened there

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Caphi posted:

you're not wrong but also compared to like xillia and plenty of other jrpgs ive played that use the overworld zone conceit, something about how berseria structured them made them bother me in a way they usually dont

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Its all the literal trash on the ground too. I don't know how long I was picking up every little thing before going "what am I doing lol "

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestheHammer posted:

How did you take 80 hours I did 100% in 50.

I have no idea how you did this since I got the Geoboard at like 43 hours, and finished the story at about 80. Did you not watch skits or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Momomo posted:

I have no idea how you did this since I got the Geoboard at like 43 hours, and finished the story at about 80. Did you not watch skits or something?

I went out of my way to find skits.

I didn't find all of them but I did find most.

The only thing I did was lower the difficulty for the bonus dungeon because gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

you're not wrong but also compared to like xillia and plenty of other jrpgs ive played that use the overworld zone conceit, something about how berseria structured them made them bother me in a way they usually dont
*points to your avatar while grinning ownishly*

• Locked thread