Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Most Recent Poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/12316675

What is this game?
Besides being anime as gently caress? Well it's anime as gently caress that's what it is! Basically it's one of those fancy tactical RPGs people like to talk about and play nowadays. A game develops both for the Ps3 and Vita, I'm playing the Ps3 version. Much like all tactical games it tends to start out slow but ramps up very quickly.

We play as a bunch of snot nosed bratty kids. PERFECT for dealing with an end of the world sort of scenario! But there's a catch, well multiple catches really. One we're a rag tag elite army kids! WITH PSYCHIC POWERS! HOLY poo poo! Totally your average Sunday night then.

We're fighting a Villain called "THE END" Because why wouldn't we? What's more great then an ominous villain with a cool name? He's going to nuke the whole planet in 13 days! :ohdear:

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE~ Someone amongst us is a traitor! Which changes every time we play the game. Basically every time you hit new game the traitor is randomly generated. We're going to HAVE TO FIND THEM before moving on and no matter what we're going to have to kill someone to move up in the world. Let's hope we find out who the traitor is and not kill one of our innocent friendos.

Format
This will be a VLP and SS LP mixed. Figure every battle will be recorded with commentary but things like Dialog (The talkies without much of anything else) will be done in screenshot format because they're not voiced.

Did I mention there will be a trust mechanic that we get to utilize? Because there is. After every MAJOR MISSION, there will be a poll on who we get to talk to in order to make our bound with the people stronger. The poll will be up for a week and then closed out. The top voted people we'll talk to that week to increase their trust in us. Everything else will be just bonus dialog.

But long and short viewer participation is a must.

I will try to update this once a week.

Spoilers
Please DON'T!!!! With the traitor we can speculate all we want cause that makes it fun and honestly we'll find the traitor pretty quickly. So all that is important! Let's try to continue with the traitor stuff, but with major spoilers please don't.

Videos
Lost Dimension 1 Post

Video

Video

Video

Zain fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Need this for a reason

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Lost Dimension 1

Lost Dimension 1
Poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/11982175

This update will be kinda empty just because it's the first one. We're struck with the good ol bit of Amnesia though

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 11, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I've been curious about this game as I am always looking for a good reason to play my vita (besides Helldivers, Freedom Wars, and the huge back-catalogue of awesome PSP games I never got to play. Mostly Peace Walker).

How would you rate this compared to other tactical RPG's? Should I impulse buy this?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wait, with two runs of LD running in the forum in parallel, does it mean we might see different traitors?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

SelenicMartian posted:

Wait, with two runs of LD running in the forum in parallel, does it mean we might see different traitors?

Two runs? You mean someone else is LPing this game?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Two runs? You mean someone else is LPing this game?

Yep, Colorred is doing an LP of this as well.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Very much a possibility. It's random every time you launch a new game.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I've been curious about this game as I am always looking for a good reason to play my vita (besides Helldivers, Freedom Wars, and the huge back-catalogue of awesome PSP games I never got to play. Mostly Peace Walker).

How would you rate this compared to other tactical RPG's? Should I impulse buy this?

I think it's fairly simplistic. The traitor aspect really does add some nuance to everything. A fresh start, and in some cases can kind of dick you over depending on who is a traitor or not.

I got the PS3 version was 15 bucks on amazon when I got it. I would say for that price you really can't beat it. Right now I'm seeing it at 20/25 and there's some really fun skills you can eventually use. Story is kind of generic but in an enjoyable way if that makes sense.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
I remember being really interested in this game when it came out because its overall concept scratched a very specific DanganRonpa craving before 2 got its Vita release (and I'm 100% That Kind of Trash)
As it turns out game really doesn't share much at all with DR mechanically, which wasn't a big shock, but it seemed pretty cool regardless so I can't wait to see it!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh for sure, this game has its charms with it. I only wish that the traitor mechanic was a bit harder to point out. Like you have to do some detective work and all that, but can't complain too much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One of my favorite elements of traitor games is where they can pull off an optional traitor role. It seems like it's pretty mandatory here, though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah pretty much. There's ALWAYS a traitor which is kind of sad. Killing your teammates is MANDATORY there is no getting around that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Just a heads up, the poll will be closing mid day on Monday. So that way I can get the episode recorded and ready to post on Wednesday.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Last day for votes! Please get them in to get the friends you want.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

In the Pillar

Alright time to see the results!

:stonk: holy poo poo you guys really love George

Well it's time to continue with the update. Let's get everyone's dialog out of the way.

: KONNICHIWA! YOROSHIKU, Sho!
: Uh....
: I am George Jackman! The Psychomentrist of justice!

: This guy is really intense

: Huh...
: Do you know what psychometry is, Sho? With it, I can see the residual thoughts that dewll within objects.

: Pretty sure you're just making that up.

: For Instance I can read the leftover thoughts of this master katana, and- SHWIIIIIING! -slice down evil, like so! That is my mission! For justice!

: Now that we're done with psycho let's move onto our next friendship up Mana Kawai

: *sigh*
: Um... Mana, right? Something the matter?
: It's just that, unlike everyone else's abilities, mine is so uncharming.
: That thing from earlier?
: That's right! This overdrive! Don't you think it's tragic that a lovely bird like me has such a burly ability? You agree, right? Well whatever. Since this is the case, I'll fight up front during battle. Truth be told, I hate it though...

: So Mana seems a bit into how she presents herself. Anyway let's go down the list, we have to anyway. Next Himeno Akatsuki

: My ability? You just witnessed it, right? .... It's pyrokinesis All this ability does is burn objects, It doesn't create anything new. To think that this power would be useful in such a place... If it's close combat, I should be able to give off a considerable amount of thermal energy. I'll turn you into ash any day.

: What a charmer... Wanting to burn us down... Not completely psycho. Anyway let's head to Toya Orbert.

: Oh, my Gift? I have control over magnetic forces. I can lightly draw anything made of iron toward me. On the other hand, I can flick them off as well. I am able to control electromagnetism. It's a little exhausting, but I can even manipulate the electricity in the atmosphere and create thunder. It'd be chaos if word got around about my ability, so I kept quiet until I got involved with the terrorist attacks...

: HOLY poo poo WE HAVE MAGNEITO ON OUR TEAM! This could be fun. Up net Nagi Shishiouka :swoon:

: Nagi Shinshiouka. I had been serving in the army before joining SEALED. My ability is levitation. I can float in the air for a short period of time. That is all. ...Any other questions?
: ...It's fine. I have a general idea of your personality.
: I see... I'm glad that you seem reliable.

: Super glad nobody else has been that talkative. FORWARD- To Sojiro Sagara

: Oh my... You seem rather shaken up. You need to calm down a bit. Being hasty isn't the solution here.
: Do I seem "shaken up"?
: Well, as it stands, I'm a doctor. I'd love to calm you down, but in our current situation, I don't have my medication with me... Perhaps I can rely on my healing Gift to do the trick though.

: Ah good ol' doc. Glad we have someone who is somewhat happy to be here. Zenji Maeda is our next target.

: Hmph. Can I trust you? You bastard... I'm Zenji. My ability lets me synchronize with others. It's hard to describe, but I can connect with someone else's mind. It lets me read their thoughts and copy their abilities.

: Oh great! We can use this to find the traitor!

: I can't use it to find out who the traitor is, but let me just spell it out for you: You DON'T wanna get on my bad side.

: :shepicide: WELL poo poo! Anyway let's leave this bundle of joy for a new one. Marco Barbato

: Wh-What is it...? You want to... get to know me? Are you just curious what I can do? I was added to this group because I have psychokinesis. But I'm not at all suited to f-fight in a place like this... D-Do you still need something from me.... ?

: No you're bad and you should feel bad. NEXT CANDIDATE! Yoko Tachibana.

: Hi! It's nice to meet you. Uh, right?
: It seems you weren't sure there, but yes, it's nice to meet you too.
: ...Yup. I'm relieved that you're a normal person.
: Relieved?
: Earlier you were being glared at a lot by The End, so I thought you were someone scary, like a politician or a soldier.

: One of these just doesn't fit. Unless she met with senator Armstrong.

: I myself don't have a clue what all that was about. Anyway, I'm surprised that you're such a normal girl. at the very least, you don't seem like the type to be in the special forces based on your appearance or tone. Is it your Gift?

: Sho, pick up artist level: Smooth as gently caress.

: Mm-hm. I can use telepathy, although I don't like to use it much.
: You don't want to use it?
: ...Well, who cares about all that stuff! I'll use it during the battle; I do need to support everyone. We don't want our lives to end here anyway!

: So it seems Yoko is hiding something, but what could it be? Shouldn't focus on this too much. There's still other people to talk to, like Agito Yuuki.

: Yo, so that The End guy was really staring you down. You two know each other? What's the scoop? What's his deal?
: I have no clue, actually. And you're a member of SEALED too, right?
: You betcha! Agito Yuuki, at your service! They recruited me because of my teleportation.
: Teleportation, huh?
: Yup. It's my "Gift," they called it. Not sure when I got it or how, but one day I just noticed I was able to do it! It comes in handy... in battle too, of-course. Well it's nice meeting ya!

: So it seems he may have used his abilities for some trouble making. Anyway! Let's continue on with the first part of the update.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. What are we trying to do that we make that round trip out of the lobby? Just secure the outside against mind-controlled invasions?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Glazius posted:

Hm. What are we trying to do that we make that round trip out of the lobby? Just secure the outside against mind-controlled invasions?

Something like that, you know how it is with a like of SRPGS. The Subquests are kinda.... Second thought.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
No way, a Lost Dimension competitor? Never thought I'd see that, with such an obscure game. We should do a video collab to mark this historic moment

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Colorred posted:

No way, a Lost Dimension competitor? Never thought I'd see that, with such an obscure game. We should do a video collab to mark this historic moment

That'd be great!

But time for the next part of the update

: What is the meaning of this? to think a town was swallowed by a building. Besides, such a change is unbelievable.
: True. I didn't expect the Pillar's Interior would be like this.
: We encounter non-human foes, and everyone has no recollection of the moment of our infiltration... That is the situation. Common sense dictates we should withdraw, but we can't even find an exit, let alone communicate with the outside. All missions from this point on will be at our discretion. Although... I suppose this situation could have been assumed to a certain extent, prior to our time of infiltration.

: So Nagi with the telling us stuff we already know! Onto Yoko

: This is the Pillar's Interior, right? It's hard to believe that this is the inside of a tower. Just who is The End, to be able to build such a thing? Ooh, but I guess it doesn't mean that The End built this. To begin with, there's no way this could've been made overnight... Ack! I think and think, but I still don't understand.

: Fair enough I guess. Doc what do you have to say about all this?

: How are you feeling? The end seems to have manipulated our memories when he welcomed us into this place. My memories from when we infiltrated the Pillar are a bit foggy... Where did we enter from, and whom were we with? Judging by our situation, the eleven of us were the only ones who made it inside. What happened to the rest of SEALED? Did they get locked out? Or did they come before us...?

: All interesting questions, sure they'll be answered in time. Mr Moody Blues what can you cheer us up with?

: I thought The End was our only target, but there's other we have to fight too.
: Yeah, a lot of humanoid enemies.
: And all mechanical ones too. They're all a bunch of pushovers though, for me!
: Well, we don't know what's in store for us, so don't let your guard down.
: Ha! I don't need anyone tellin' ME that.

: Why the hell do we even talk to you? Timid Tim anything else to talk about?

: What are these enemies? Th-They aren't... Human. But they aren't machines either... Right? We should run away. Th-This isn't good.
: Just calm down, Marco. It Looks like we're trapped in this place, and we don't have contact with the outside.
: Y-Yeah... *Sigh* How'd we get ourselves into this?

: Nobody likes you Marco... BUT! Everyone loves George.

: George, when you mentioned psychometry-
: Say no more, Sho! I know it well! Psychometry is indeed the power to read the residual thoughts that dwell within objects. So earlier, I tired searching for the Pillar's memories. However, it was no use. I don't know why... It almost felt like this Pillar's thoughts are too huge.
: Too Huge?
: Indeed. And on top of its size, I can't even decide what kind of thought it is. Curses! I might go crazy if I use my abilities carelessly...
: I see...

Poll Time
http://www.strawpoll.me/12193741

Also do you guys want the dialog split up like this? All the talking to our teammates here in a text dump or do you want it in the video? I could read the lines too if need be. One of-course is less work for me, but I don't mind either.

Also sorry for the long delay. Life seems to be getting to not only me but all my friends too. Most of my week was comforting friends who were either going through major panic attacks or surgery or losing their pet.

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 25, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You all are killing me with this even split!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Unless the teammate-conversation lines are voiced (which I think they aren't), dropping them in the post is fine.

So wait, there are all these, effectively, child soldiers, that the world governments are just tossing at the tower in great handfuls?

...I mean, in these circumstances there's no reason not to try everything.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

When the end of the world is at hand... Child Soldiers seem reasonable to some extent.

Also voting is closed. THere will be a new video here shortly. I have tomorrow off so the script is going to be written up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, I only ever played a tiny bit of this game. This should be good.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Sorry for the long pause between updates. Things have only gotten more hectic. Another friend hospitalized and septic. Work ramping up. Just a whole lot of poo poo.

Update 3:

This one wasn't much of a landslide, but I'm glad we got two major winners. Let's start with Agito.

: This is crazy, with a capital "C"! There's an entire city inside this tower! Ya don't see that every day.
: We aren't here for sightseeing, unfortunately.
: Sho don't be such a wet blanket. You have to admit this whole thing is pretty amazing.
: I know, I know. We're here to stop The End, right? Just sayin'... it's a crazy sorta place we got ourselves trapped in.
: Speaking of "trapped," Agito, you can teleport, right?
: You gonna tell me to try warping outside of something, huh? ...Like I hadn't thought of that! It's no use, man. Serious, now, we just gotta keep trudgin' along. We'll find that guy, The End, sooner or later.

: And that's all we got from him, next our other winner of the vote Himeno

: I wonder what this room is... I can't imagine that this place existed before the Pillar's appearance. Did The End arrange it, or was it here from the start...?

: Interesting thoughts, but it's hard to say. It just doesn't seem to make sense no matter how you look at it. Anyway we'll finish up the other two, so Toya take it away.

: By the way, this room... What do you think it is? The walls and floor are the same minerals found in the city outside. I don't even understand why the Pillar suddenly appeared. It's all one big mystery, as far as I can tell. And all things considered, it doesn't put me at ease to see all our names written on that monitor... It seems to be in a ranking, but I wonder what sort of ranking it is. There's no reason to suspect The End created the Pillar, per se... but there's no doubt he's in control of its mechanisms.

: Both Himeno and Toya seem to be of one mind here. This is weird and very unnatural. No way this coulda been made over night. Maybe Mana has some more insight on this?

: What is this room? It's as if it was made to welcome us in. I wonder if this is part of The End's performance. Is he turning us into pawns and acting like he's playing a game?
: That may be the case...
: Well, I'll just use whatever's available to us- anything just lying about.
: When you're about to check something you're unsure of, give me a call, OK?
: Are you concerned about me? Cheers, mate~

: By "Give me a call" I'm guessing it's "Get George over here and have him test if it's dangerous or not."

So it's time for submission 2
For this mission we're also putting points into our skills finally! You get 1 skill point every 2 levels and I wish it was every level instead. But beggars can't be choosers. A lot of the skills you get are SUPER powerful and to get them early on would be ridiculous.

New Poll:
http://www.strawpoll.me/12316675

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mov seems to be the most important stat in this game since it lets your dudes gang up on one guy and take him down.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Mov seems to be the most important stat in this game since it lets your dudes gang up on one guy and take him down.

Oh it is extremely important. Of-course the strategy part of this game is still very much basic. And we'll see how fast it comes at you. But like with most SRPGS focus is very important.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was there actually something worth interacting with after you pushed that button? Like a treasure chest or something? Or are those auto-looted at the end of battle?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, hey, I remember this game. It's nice. Would like a sequel or spiritual successor or something like that. Zain, will you do some sort of in-depth character analysis of their skill tree or anything like that? I'd be cool.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Junpei posted:

Oh, hey, I remember this game. It's nice. Would like a sequel or spiritual successor or something like that. Zain, will you do some sort of in-depth character analysis of their skill tree or anything like that? I'd be cool.

Definitely thinking about it. Figured once they get more of their skills it'd be easier to go in-depth with it.

Glazius posted:

Was there actually something worth interacting with after you pushed that button? Like a treasure chest or something? Or are those auto-looted at the end of battle?

Naw, that'd be awesome if it did. I wanted to replay it but things went cattywampus and ugh. BAsically I didn't want to lose where we were....

I could replay, but the problem is of-course I get more dialogue options and it'd throw off what we're doing right now. Maybe I'll do a comprehensive turnaround for all these things.

Zain fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 13, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I need more voting from you all! The results are so close.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I tried to vote but the poll won't work for me. It just sits there not recording my vote.

E:It finally let me vote.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 16, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alright! Votes are in and we'll be talking to George and Zenji. I'm surprised with that. But also this one is going to be a ton of dialogue so it'll take me a while to transcribe that all. (Dyslexia and all)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So, I hate to inform you all of this, but due to some hardware issues I've lost a significant amount of progress. And honestly it's been discouraging to say the least on multiple fronts. I don't think with my new and current schedule I'll be able to do this LP any justice. I'm sorry everyone.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Sad to see this go. Another LP down to the LP curse. I really enjoyed it though, and hope that maybe you'll pick it up again sometime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, welcome to the brotherhood, and best of luck in the future.

• Locked thread