Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

hmm i just checked and clara jeffery is still the editor-in-chief so you're megawrong here

Most of their articles are engaging and informative. I don't care who their editor in chief is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I can't believe this thread is still alive. op, next time please limit it to tech "journalism"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

what are the best tech journalism sites (as in actually good) these days mind you

I've been a little out of the loop

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tesseraction posted:

what are the best tech journalism sites (as in actually good)

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tesseraction posted:

what are the best tech journalism sites (as in actually good) these days mind you

I've been a little out of the loop
consumer reports

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thought as such tbh

irc it is

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

"fake news" is a politically correct term for "propaganda"

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

papa_november posted:

"fake news" is a politically correct term for "propaganda"

"fake news" is a lie we tell ourselves as good lefties, because it means the vicious small-minded lovely people who vote against their own interests out of spite aren't actually vicious spiteful lovely people, they are just in error. if we west wing speech them enough they will miraculously know the error of their ways and be transformed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ultravoices posted:

"fake news" is a lie we tell ourselves as good lefties, because it means the vicious small-minded lovely people who vote against their own interests out of spite aren't actually vicious spiteful lovely people, they are just in error. if we west wing speech them enough they will miraculously know the error of their ways and be transformed.

cnn hired trump's campaign manager lol.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

cnn hired trump's campaign manager lol.

90%+ of the american population couldn't give a flying gently caress what is on cnn.

the only people who are watching cnn are the terminally old at home who need twitter read to them, or the terminally bored at an airport terminal.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

please consider switching to the financial times instead of the economist, their takes on regulation and policy have a longer history of being sound and, more importantly, not batshit

elaborate plz

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

elaborate plz

the economist exists to translate neoliberal talking points to americans who are impressed by anything said in an english accent.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ultravoices posted:

90%+ of the american population couldn't give a flying gently caress what is on cnn.

the only people who are watching cnn are the terminally old at home who need twitter read to them, or the terminally bored at an airport terminal.

it's the biggest news organization in the world, op

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

elaborate plz

ultravoices posted:

the economist exists to translate neoliberal talking points to americans who are impressed by anything said in an english accent.

Pretty much - the Atlantic republished a 1990s callout because of its persisting relevance: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...post-1991/7415/

The long and short is that The Economist ranges from sensible to nutbar, driven by their terrible op-ed quality control.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
pro publica and frontline are the best. thanks

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
buzzfeed broke the story about pissguzzler trump so theyre p great actually

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty much - the Atlantic republished a 1990s callout because of its persisting relevance: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...post-1991/7415/

The long and short is that The Economist ranges from sensible to nutbar, driven by their terrible op-ed quality control.

if you listen to their podcast the americans on staff speak in transatlantic, as if they were 40s movie starlets trying to rub out the stain of their regional pronunciations.

on the other hand there aren't a lot of publications that tell you what is happening in Accra for example, and the economist will (as long as the place was formerly part of the British Empire, the Economist is all over it.)

on the third hand, all the contributors have framed portraits of margaret thatcher by their bedside, that they look into lovingly every night before sleep. english tories can sound very reasonable to american ears, it's how andrew sullivan got anyone to listen to him for decades.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Democracy now and fsrn are good. Any local network affiliate for local police blotter stuff. Does anyone pay attention to local news? That open space initiative is going to fail and a new subdivision built if you dont watch out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ultravoices posted:

if you listen to their podcast the americans on staff speak in transatlantic, as if they were 40s movie starlets trying to rub out the stain of their regional pronunciations.

on the other hand there aren't a lot of publications that tell you what is happening in Accra for example, and the economist will (as long as the place was formerly part of the British Empire, the Economist is all over it.)

on the third hand, all the contributors have framed portraits of margaret thatcher by their bedside, that they look into lovingly every night before sleep. english tories can sound very reasonable to american ears, it's how andrew sullivan got anyone to listen to him for decades.

Yeah, hence why I love that article from the 90s pointing out that Thatcher followed The Economist's ideology to a T in the 80s and left Britain with the weakest economy in Europe.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ultravoices posted:

fake news as a term meant actually entirely made up news posted on websites that only pretended to be some newspaper, rotating the names weekly and adjusting the made-up story according to what saw shares on social media. it is specifically social media trickery to drive some ad-clicks

there really is no lie or possibility of one with that original meaning of the term, but then it also obviously doesn't apply to cnn or breitbart or any of those

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fake news as a term meant actually entirely made up news posted on websites that only pretended to be some newspaper, rotating the names weekly and adjusting the made-up story according to what saw shares on social media. it is specifically social media trickery to drive some ad-clicks

there really is no lie or possibility of one with that original meaning of the term, but then it also obviously doesn't apply to cnn or breitbart or any of those
when the term "fake news" became a part of the national zeitgeist it came to mean "thing i don't like", so it is absolutely getting applied to cnn. lol if you think breitbart doesn't operate that way though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

breitbart is very much a different thing than fake news as the term started, we are talking literally half-auto-generated "you wont believe"-clickbait mixed with "this one weird trick cures diabetes"-ad-tease levels of outrageous political claims. random guys operating out of their homes registering domain after domain with likely-sounding newspaper names and just blasting them full of random content, and then slightly more bespoke but trivially verifiably made-up news stories about the outrage when a muslim shut down an airport by taking an old lady eating a ham sandwich hostage in the control tower

one has to have a really lovely set of people as facebook friends to have seen it, but it was very much a thing

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

its actually completely ok for buzzfeed to release a document that had been circulating among journalists and politicians already especially since they were upfront with it being unverified

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

skull mask mcgee posted:

its actually completely ok for buzzfeed to release a document that had been circulating among journalists and politicians already especially since they were upfront with it being unverified

Trump loves the piss.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skull mask mcgee posted:

back in my day it was called "we report, you decide" and everyone agreed that it was very stupid and definitely not journalism

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ripleys believe it or news

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

flakeloaf posted:

ripleys believe it or news

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

anthonypants posted:

back in my day it was called "we report, you decide" and everyone agreed that it was very stupid and definitely not journalism

good source of joke tho

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

breitbart is very much a different thing than fake news as the term started, we are talking literally half-auto-generated "you wont believe"-clickbait mixed with "this one weird trick cures diabetes"-ad-tease levels of outrageous political claims. random guys operating out of their homes registering domain after domain with likely-sounding newspaper names and just blasting them full of random content, and then slightly more bespoke but trivially verifiably made-up news stories about the outrage when a muslim shut down an airport by taking an old lady eating a ham sandwich hostage in the control tower

one has to have a really lovely set of people as facebook friends to have seen it, but it was very much a thing

yeah a lot of the early use of the term 'fake news' was in reference to hundreds of sites spreading pro-trump rumours being run out of a single small town in Macedonia by a bunch of teenagers

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

yeah a lot of the early use of the term 'fake news' was in reference to hundreds of sites spreading pro-trump rumours being run out of a single small town in Macedonia by a bunch of teenagers

Now it's anything that makes Trump look like the piss-gargling babyman that he is.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the economist has always had the most AIDS infected opinion section. -my journalism professor 9999999999 years ago, and hell, i agree

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Economist is basically the *checks latest os memes as of 2005* Plan9 of economic journalism

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i subscribe to the LA Times and read the front page and opinion sections

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the la times is terrible, though

like really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

The Economist is basically the *checks latest os memes as of 2005* Plan9 of economic journalism

plan9 was made by very smart people

• Locked thread