Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best character
Brackfornu
Ieyasu
Lady toda wassername
John rhys-davies
View Results

• Locked thread
Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I keep trying to figure out how exactly he butchered the names like "Toranaga" is some kind of Nobunaga/Tokugawa mix or some poo poo also it bothers me that hes like 50 in the book wasn't Ieyasu Tokugawa like in his 20s when he became shogun?

Ieyasu was 57 when he finally won, 60 when he was named shogun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Ieyasu has /NO/ desire to be shogun. :shrug:

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I read this once when I was like 16 and the only thing I remember about it is that sex was called "pillowing" and I've never seen that phrasing used anywhere else, ever

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I literally read like 1000 pages of this 1100 page monster when I was 16 and completely dropped
It at that point for no real reason

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man I used to be pretty into Japanese history, the Sengoku era has always been legitimately fascinating but sadly :anime:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Cow chillo think you dooa jig-jig with new cow chillo, heya?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Tempted to buy Gai-Jin, but it's the lowest rated of Clavell's Asian saga on Amazon user reviews, and it's a freakin'' thousand pages. Then again, it's only ten bucks. I suppose I can quit if I don't like it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching the TV miniseries version of Shogun for the first time at last, and it is all on Youtube, and goddamn it's pretty incredible. It's not quite as gory or gratuitous as the book but it's so rich in character and personality. The Japanese actors really do a great job with unusual material, to convey whole scenes with facial expressions. There's a lot of physical acting in general, and I love that they don't subtitle any of the Japanese dialogue, it helps set the scene.

It's super intense still, I just got to the part where Anjin-san attempts to kill himself. I love this scene because it uses Japanese music to build this nailbiting atmosphere while the actors themselves all emote in this very subdued manner, with everyone's expressions and candor ramping up and up and up as the scene builds to a crescendo. The actor playing Lord Yabu is my favorite guy for this, he manages to sell his character with every inch of his body, every bounce of his step.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I also read this in my early teens. I'm kind of surprised so many folks here read it. I guess parents kept the book on the shelves and eventually passed it down?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Kindles are good because you can keep your physical copy of shogun where it belongs, holding up a table or something.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Has anyone mentioned the part where the Japanese villagers are all shocked by the size of the protagonist's white penis?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Neurosis posted:

Has anyone mentioned the part where the Japanese villagers are all shocked by the size of the protagonist's white penis?

how I met your mother

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I also read this in my early teens. I'm kind of surprised so many folks here read it. I guess parents kept the book on the shelves and eventually passed it down?

It sold like a zillion copies in paperback form and it's a genuinely engaging book whose title might be recognized, so it's exactly the kind of thing people would read in their teens after picking it up from their parents/a relative/cheap at a thrift sale/from the lending library at a vacation rental/etc.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Neurosis posted:

It uh came up

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The Game of Thrones guy is a really good storyteller, imaginative compelling stories.

His books are unreadable though because he's such a bad writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anjin-san is a total goony moron though, it's kind of astounding that he hasn't been executed.

• Locked thread