Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mediph
Jun 12, 2016
Problem description: Computer locks up, audio crackles, mouse freezes, desktop becomes static. Nothing moves the image remains the same. Does not return to previous status without a hard reset. Happens when I'm using too many tabs, or play a game. can happen immediately, or after a random period of time.

Attempted fixes: As it stands, I've spent the past week assembling, replacing and upgrading. I formatted the old drive, moved things I wanted to keep onto the other 1tb HD. reinstalled the OS, did multiple memtests, increased the fan curve, manually updated each and every driver, used multiple cmd prompt commands from various websites to try and find an issue. Nothing is showing up in error. I've scoured the eventlog and it only shows the hard reset themselves as critical kernal things, and I can't find what is causing the lockups. I've even installed CPUID HWMonitor to watch for heat spikes, but the temperatures never went beyond 30. I've got MSI afterburner running to keep things cold. And it's just not working. Every fix I've done has done nothing aside from improving the performance of when I finally get it working.

Recent changes: It's a new build. The only carry-over from the old PC is the video card and HDD which was formatted, due to going from AMD to Intel.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home x64

System specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/32dwCy

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd use onboard video temporarily and see if the issues continue.

Mediph
Jun 12, 2016
Thank you for the response. I just tried switching to onboard, and by doing that the most recent crash became riddled with artifacts, the screen didn't just freeze. became a blocky technicolor mess of pixelvomit.

I'm starting to lean towards the issue being the PSU itself. But would like a second opinion.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Mediph
Jun 12, 2016
Hard drives all look good, I think at this point it might be the PSU, i'm gonna send it out for RMA and see what happens when I get it back.

Mediph
Jun 12, 2016
So, just got my PSU back from EVGA, took em long enough. Plugged it in, ran everything pretty okay for an hour then it happened again. At this point, it's either the CPU or the MOBO, and I have no way of testing those, the chip looks fine and I triplechecked the thermal compound I used between the back and the heatsink, no spillover at all. And the motherboard doesn't look bad. I mean, both are brand new (Relatively speaking).

What am I supposed to do?

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
I've been dealing with the same kind of issue on my laptop, with no luck resolving it so far.

Have you ruled out RAM issues with memtest86 or the like?

Any permissions-related DCOM errors in the event log, perchance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mediph posted:

What am I supposed to do?

I'd disconnect everything but the OS drive temporarily. You did pass the CDI test but an HD can still have issues without showing errors there.

If you still get errors with only the OS drive then I'd try using only one stick of RAM temporarily. If the issues still happen with one stick of RAM then I'd try only the other stick. Memory tests aren't 100% conclusive either.

If that doesn't work then it's probably a motherboard issue or possibly CPU. Or you may be really unlucky and received two bad PSUs in a row. It is possible.

If you want to be thorough you could take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a nonconductive surface and use a key/paperclip to bridge the power pins on the motherboard (this will eliminate the case/power button as being issues).

Funddevi posted:

Have you ruled out RAM issues with memtest86 or the like?

In the OP he did say he passed memory tests.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 11, 2017

• Locked thread