Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So we have an African Dictators megathread but asia has a bunch too in countries most people haven't heard of

Uzbekistan

Turkmenistan
Kyrgyzstan

quote:

On September 14, 2001 the Kyrgyz Ministry of Interior declared it had implemented "passport control regime" against "pro-Islamic" activists in the southern part of Kyrgyzstan. Following the reelection of President Askar Akayev in 2003, the government reportedly "intensified" harassment of political opposition members, independent news media groups, religious groups and ethnic minorities, according to Human Rights Watch. [1] In advance of elections in February 2005, the Akayev government reportedly increased political restrictions on Kyrgyz citizens, in order, according to some outside observers, to prevent a "democratic revolution" like the recent one in Ukraine. [2] [3]
Human rights under Akayev's regime in 2004 reportedly remained poor; although there were improvements in several areas, problems remained. Citizens' right to change their government remained limited and democratic institutions remained fragile. Members of the security forces at times beat or otherwise mistreated persons, and prison conditions remained poor. Impunity remained a problem, although the Government took steps to address it during the year. There were cases of arbitrary arrest or detention. Executive branch domination of the judiciary as well as corruption limited citizens' right to due process. The Government occasionally restricted freedom of speech and of the press, and individuals and companies close to the Government used financial means to control numerous media outlets. The Government used bureaucratic means to harass and pressure some independent media as well as non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Although human rights groups were generally allowed to work freely, and a government Ombudsman's Office continued to work actively to advocate for individual rights, the Government continued to occasionally harass and pressure some groups. Violence against women and children was a problem. Child labor and discrimination against ethnic minorities were problems. Trafficking in persons was a persistent problem.
In 2004, however, the government's human rights record showed improvement in some areas. Prison conditions remained poor but continued to improve during the year. Numerous MVD officials were dismissed or prosecuted for abuses or misconduct. Harassment of opposition groups and independent media, including honor and dignity lawsuits against newspapers, declined considerably, and the Government allowed several independent media outlets to begin operations. Although the Government occasionally restricted freedoms of assembly and association, in October, the Constitutional Court struck down provisions of the law on public assembly that were widely considered vague and too restrictive, while the number of demonstrations disrupted by police declined considerably. A new Electoral Code signed into law in January was a significant improvement over the previous code and was welcomed by domestic NGOs and opposition parties, although it still fell short of international standards. Citizens' right to choose their government showed some improvement through local elections held in October, which were widely seen as more transparent. The Government took steps to combat trafficking in persons, with prosecutions and convictions of traffickers up significantly from 2003. There has also been a long history of drug-trafficking in the country. This country has the death penalty for drug trafficking.[/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any good reading on the events up to and documenting Pol Pot's reign?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know enough to help you there sorry

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It's cool, I didn't know enough to know if this was an appropriate thread to ask :(

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
No Good Continent

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

It's cool, I didn't know enough to know if this was an appropriate thread to ask :(

it is and i hope someone can give you more info

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7D-HCg7JM

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Asian dictators ruthlessly consolidate power like this, while South American dictators ruthlessly consolidate power like thiiisss

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Asian dictators ruthlessly consolidate power like this, while South American dictators ruthlessly consolidate power like thiiisss

They're overrated. Complete disasters. I would con... I would win like you couldn't beeeelieve.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

boiling prisoners is high level human rights abuses. do the north koreans really strap people to artillery and fire it?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jose posted:

boiling prisoners is high level human rights abuses. do the north koreans really strap people to artillery and fire it?

the british did, they learned it from the mughals

a lot of reports of crazy executions come out of nk and nobody can really know for sure but most of them are probably just shot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i read somewhere that its south korean propaganda which i can believe

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Once I become a famous pop star I'm going to use this thread as a list of potential clients.

quote:

Kanye West
Reported fee: $3 million

Yeezy decided to do his best Adam Sandler impression on Saturday, performing at the wedding of Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev's grandson to the daughter of the chairman of Russian-Kazakh state oil company KazRosGas.

Multiple people at the event tweeted images and videos of the performance on Twitter and Instagram:

Jennifer Lopez
Reported fee: $1.5 million

Earlier this summer, J-Lo sang "Happy Birthday" for Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov, president of Turkmenistan, called "one of the world's most repressive countries" by Human Rights Watch.

The blowback from the concert caused her representative to issue a statement saying "had there been knowledge of human rights issues of any kind, Jennifer would not have attended." It's not clear if that also pertains to weddings she performed at previously in Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan.[

Sting
Reported fee: More than $1.5 million

Sting got in trouble in 2010 when he performed at a concert organized by Gulnara Karimova, daughter of Uzbek President Islam Karimov, whose government has been accused of boiling dissidents alive.

Afterwards, Sting refused to apologize. He said he was "well aware of the Uzbek president's appalling reputation in the field of human rights," but decided to play anyway because he believed "cultural boycotts are not only pointless gestures, they are counter-productive."

The singer has an estimated net worth of $290 million, making him the sixth-richest lead singer in rock.

http://theweek.com/articles/460478/kanye-west-4-other-pop-stars-who-performed-dictators

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

are we pro pol pot or against pol pot itt?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/presidentaz/status/819436422797152257

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

jarofpiss posted:

are we pro pol pot or against pol pot itt?

please select irony level

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the guy who ruled turkmenistan before the current president could go toe-to-toe with the Kim monarchy for sheer insanity. he banned opera for being "insufficiently Turkmen" and made a statue that always rotated to face the sun

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

turkmenbashi FTW.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

WINNINGHARD posted:

turkmenbashi FTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007