Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
howard dean would've won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the dean scream wasnt that big of a deal imo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
wesley clark would have won

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
america deserves bush

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
are u feelin the joementum

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Don't look at me, I voted John Edwards.

the psychic

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I vaguely remember lurking LF during the 2008 primary and remember people retelling stories from the 2004 primary

here's some that I mostly remember

when john edwards was getting vetted by kerry for the 2004 vp slot he tried to win over kerry by telling him a story about the time that he (edwards) climbed into his dead son's coffin and hugged his body and cried in a private viewing at the funeral and told kerry that this was the first time he had ever told anyone about this, but kerry was put at extreme unease because he remembers edwards telling him that story years earlier (he still picked edwards for his vp slot lmao haha)

here's one that's maybe from 2008, I'm not entirely sure sorry if I break the rules of the thread on accident:

john edwards was such a distant father who spent all his time self-aggrandizing and chasing skirts and neglecting his family that his small children (pre-kindergarten) thought that their babysitter was their mom (because their real mom was sick as heck with cancer) and then when they got a new babysitter they weren't sure what to do so they just started calling her mom instead

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mass media controls people - look at how they used the Barney the Dinosaur story to turn human rights violations into a joke.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Kucinich would've won

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i scream 4 dean

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

Kucinich would've won

Kucinich's wife is pretty.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

big black turnout posted:

howard dean would've won

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That black guy who gave the speech at the convention should kick John Kerry in the rear end and show him how it's done.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That black guy who gave the speech at the convention should kick John Kerry in the rear end and show him how it's done.

Maybe he'll run in 2012 or 2016 - he seems like a newbie and I don't know if America is ready for a black President.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

consumed by normies posted:

the dean scream wasnt that big of a deal imo

This always bothered me, it's almost the opposite of trump's teflon coating.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Salt Fish posted:

The systems of perception management were actually at their peak power post 9/11 - it was us crazy kids on ytmnd who started to break the spell. Now they have adapted and created a website for deranged boomers.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

He was upsetting the neoliberal arm of the democratic party, which is to say the whole democratic party, so he had to go and that was the best they had. They tried to make hay out of the fact that his son got a DUI or something while Dean was running but people didn't give a poo poo.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

It's 2004 and things still matter

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Fidel Castronaut posted:

He was upsetting the neoliberal arm of the democratic party, which is to say the whole democratic party, so he had to go and that was the best they had. They tried to make hay out of the fact that his son got a DUI or something while Dean was running but people didn't give a poo poo.

Pattern emerges. democrats hate candidates from vermont.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SpaceGoku posted:

I vaguely remember lurking LF during the 2008 primary and remember people retelling stories from the 2004 primary

here's some that I mostly remember

when john edwards was getting vetted by kerry for the 2004 vp slot he tried to win over kerry by telling him a story about the time that he (edwards) climbed into his dead son's coffin and hugged his body and cried in a private viewing at the funeral and told kerry that this was the first time he had ever told anyone about this, but kerry was put at extreme unease because he remembers edwards telling him that story years earlier (he still picked edwards for his vp slot lmao haha)

I definitely remember this story from multiple sources.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
not only did he tell kerry that story years earlier, but he also told kerry years earlier that he was the first one he ever told that story to

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
john kerry was a bad candidate who lost to george w loving bush

deadgoon has issued a correction as of 07:18 on Jan 14, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fidel Castronaut posted:

dean didn't "upset the neoliberal arm of the democratic party." he was one of them. dean was actually a conservative governor who played progressive by backing singlepayer and making GBS threads on the war in iraq more than everyone else, but as a governor he pretty firmly occupied the center.

quote:

Conservative Vermont business leaders praise Dean's record and his unceasing efforts to balance the budget, even though Vermont is the only state where a balanced budget is not constitutionally required. Moreover, they argue that the two most liberal policies adopted during Dean's tenure -- the "civil unions" law and a radical revamping of public school financing -- were instigated by Vermont's ultraliberal Supreme Court rather than Dean. "He was not a left-wing wacko," says Bill Stenger, a Republican and president of Jay Peak Resort, who says he supported Dean because of his "fiscally responsible, socially conscious policies."

Business leaders were especially impressed with the way Dean went to bat for them if they got snarled in the state's stringent environmental regulations. When Canada's Husky Injection Molding Systems Ltd. wanted to build a new manufacturing plant on 700 acres of Vermont farmland in the mid-'90s, for instance, Dean greased the wheels. Husky obtained the necessary permits in near-record time. "He was very hands-on," says an appreciative Dirk Schlimm, the Husky executive in charge of the project.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2003-08-10/whos-the-real-howard-dean

quote:

As governor, Dean preserved hundreds of thousands of acres of forests and lakes and mountains that had come under intense development pressure, passed a landmark health insurance program for children, insisted on pumping money into town centers rather than into sprawling suburbs and signed a bill that allowed gay couples to enter into civil unions.

At the same time, the former doctor resisted raising income taxes, vetoed some social spending for the elderly, and showered tens of millions of dollars in controversial tax breaks to attract businesses to Vermont, although most of the company officials acknowledged they would have relocated or expanded without subsidies. Dean poured relatively little money into state colleges and the university, where tuition costs are the highest in the nation.

"I'm a fiscal conservative, and I believe in social justice," Dean said in a recent interview. "I'm most proud of our fiscal stability -- I left the state in better shape than I found it."

"Gov. Snelling had the courage to raise taxes," Dean said at the time. "I have the courage to cut spending."

Dean, over the objections of liberals, let Snelling's income tax increase sunset in 1994. He also vetoed several social welfare spending bills. He was, always, the embattled man of the middle. "He was very artful," said Elizabeth Ready, the state auditor and a liberal former state representative. "He was always saying: 'You've got your nuts on the left, your nuts on the right, and you've got me.' "

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Dean-not-as-liberal-as-he-seems-Vermont-s-fiery-2562919.php

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

deadgoon posted:

john kerry was a bad candidate who lost to george h loving w bush

And yet there is no Kerry woods selfie series

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
big windsufer here

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

dean's polling was in decline before the scream, it got the blame for what was really a scrutiny-phase decline

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fallen Hamprince posted:

scrutiny-phase decline

lol you still believe this poo poo

reality tv, bitch

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

when john edwards was getting vetted by kerry for the 2004 vp slot he tried to win over kerry by telling him a story about the time that he (edwards) climbed into his dead son's coffin and hugged his body and cried in a private viewing at the funeral and told kerry that this was the first time he had ever told anyone about this, but kerry was put at extreme unease because he remembers edwards telling him that story years earlier

oh my loving god

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I barely even remember 2004 and prob voted Bush

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
iirc there was a podcast (538 maybe?) where they talked to Dean and he said that the volume of the crowd was deafening and he couldn't hear himself in the monitor, so all of the "screaming" was just him trying his best to be heard over all the noise. It made his face turn red and his voice growley so he looked like a lunatic, but that aside, the "We're going to x, and then we're going to x!" is really normal campaign rhetoric, and the "yaw!" was just a bit of unforunate silliness.

The problem was that this was pre-social media/blogs/etc., so when the mainstream media talking heads said that he was done because he looked unpresidential, that became the capital T Truth.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also the microphone he was using cancelled out a lot of the crowd noise and makes the scream seem out of place. There's another clip of the same scream from a different mic/camera and it sounds way more normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I recall the media spin was literally 'if a politician gets worked up and shouting we're on the road to nazi germany'

• Locked thread