Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In the year 2014, Konami released the latest in their long-running Metal Gear franchise, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. I am not going to play this game for several reasons.

Instead, we are here for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, a much better and much more complete game in all respects.

Previous Metal Gear Solid titles had Snake traversing some manner of military complex or warzone another in a somewhat linear fashion. This latest entry takes that structure and throws it into the garbage in favor of an open-world game that's a hell of a thing and a blast to play.

Joining me on this wild ride will be my brother, Peanut Butler, who's never given a poo poo about a Metal Gear in his life. Which is good, because this game is set up for exactly that kind of person. You don't need to know or care about the previous games to enjoy this one, which is good and the correct way to design a game.

Before we get started, we got a couple of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Rules.

Firstly, NO SPOILERS. This may be a departure from the rest of the series, but this is still a Kojima-brand video game and there's gonna be a lot of twists and turns. Don't talk about poo poo we haven't seen or can't know about yet, including gameplay poo poo. I don't want to see any black bars, either.

Second, yes the vape is a vape. Don't tell me it's not a vape.

Third, NO SPOILERS. I'm saying this again because people have a history of not getting that. So please don't.

Anyway, we good? Here's the videos.

New videos posted every week, probably. And if you're still reading, seriously no spoilers.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cast of Characters
_Here we'll be keeping track of who's who in this crazy roller coaster. Watch this spot for changes!_

Punished "Metal Gear Ahab" Snake
Has been in a coma for 9 whole years. May or may not be from the future.

???
Came to kill us before being lit on fire by Ishmael. Probably still alive, I bet.

Ishmael
Helped us break out of a burning hospital. Maybe not a good driver. Whereabouts unknown.

???
A telekinetic...girl, possibly? An ally or partner of the Man on Fire, seemingly.

Man on Fire
Has two defining characteristics: "pissed" and "is fire". Not a friend.

Westworld
Solid dude. Knows a thing or two about running a base.

D-Horse
Snake's trusty steed. Surprisingly good for his rank.

Kazuhira "Kaz" Miller
An old friend of some sort. Wants revenge on Cipher for their attack nine years ago.

Skull Face
One bad dude. Controls what is probably this game's Metal Gear.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 4, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Why are we in a new thread did I miss something?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Go figure that someone who played all those Elder Scrolls games would leap off their horse to grab herbs, no matter what. Old habits die hard, huh? :v:

Weavered posted:

Why are we in a new thread did I miss something?
Don't worry about it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

Go figure that someone who played all those Elder Scrolls games would leap off their horse to grab herbs, no matter what. Old habits die hard, huh? :v:

On a related note, it turns out carrying someone doesn't prevent you from nabbing collectibles in the slightest. Sorry, Kaz! :shobon:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry everyone, but Peanut Butler has been battling gnarly throat syndrome and we haven't been able to record over the past few weeks, so no video tomorrow, sorry!

And yes, I know in a broad sense how ironic that is.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

alright, finally got things tamped down to where I can talk for more than fifteen minutes, audio in the bag!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

alright, finally got things tamped down to where I can talk for more than fifteen minutes, audio in the bag!

Meanwhile, everything else is slightly on fire. Working a job, dealing with remodeling and enjoying Breaking Bad are very detrimental to productivity.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today, Kaz has a whole lot of words for us. Also, I'm filling in for Peanut Butler on the art front this week.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Lizard Wizard LPs are all about those magical little moments you'd never see if someone competent was playing. :v:

Okay, that's unfair. LizWiz isn't so much incompetent as he is clueless. :mmmhmm:

(The update art is good though.)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

drat, you're incredibly bad at this. Racism aside (which is giving a lot of undeserved credit), this is just boring to watch. Basically if you stopped making videos forever it would be a net gain for society.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chard posted:

drat, you're incredibly bad at this. Racism aside (which is giving a lot of undeserved credit), this is just boring to watch. Basically if you stopped making videos forever it would be a net gain for society.

Thanks for the input (which is giving a lot of undeserved credit), but we're not stopping any time soon!

I do apologize if any of our jokes managed to come off as genuinely racist at any point; I'm blindsided by the accusation, really. And yeah, admittedly the missions are a bit samey. I plan to address that by excising a few of them.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 12, 2017

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
Really enjoying the LP! Totally agree that optimal play is really boring and you should continue 'alternative' play.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Chard posted:

How do you think we can improve? I can't speak for Lizard Brother but I'm pretty new at riffing on this kind of media, still learning the ropes- very interested to hear a critique with more detail than "delete your account"- unironically appreciate you stopping to say something, if folks who didn't enjoy this stayed quiet there'd be no way to know what we need to work on to make this more fun for everyone

wrt racism- I'm open to being checked, we're both multi generational midwesterners and self-crit over the years has helped me grow as a person beyond those roots. That sort of white male supremacist cultural conditioning is like water to a fish until it's pointed out, and I'm not the kinda dude to take critique on the topic as an affront

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm so sorry.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today we blow up tanks for 40 minutes, I hope you like it

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

p.s. this is a very good game and its turning around my feelings on MGS in general to 'positive' from 'kojima seems like a good egg but mgs2 cost $50 more than it was worth and I got it for $10'

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

p.s. this is a very good game and its turning around my feelings on MGS in general to 'positive' from 'kojima seems like a good egg but mgs2 cost $50 more than it was worth and I got it for $10'

what a bad day for an earnest and correct opinion

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I tried several times to get into MGS but 5 was the only game I liked almost in its entirety, aside from the idiotic cheesecake and the realisation a large chunk of story was missing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh, and happy Easter I guess! :toot:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 28, 2017

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

evilmiera posted:

I tried several times to get into MGS but 5 was the only game I liked almost in its entirety, aside from the idiotic cheesecake and the realisation a large chunk of story was missing.

I've only spectated on 5, played a little bit of 2/3 like a decade ago, and I can see that

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, and happy Easter I guess! :toot:

oh jesus it's this video

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I can say entirely without hyperbole that this is the best video you two have ever done.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

oh jesus it's this video

Please do not call His attention to this video, my brother.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This time, you can blame the video title on Peanut Butler.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
So, it almost certainly won't make a difference in the long run, but I am curious. I wasn't too sure which radio voice belonged to whom. Was it Kaz who wanted Quiet dead and Ocelot who told you to bring Quiet in alive or vice versa.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

jaydee864 posted:

So, it almost certainly won't make a difference in the long run, but I am curious. I wasn't too sure which radio voice belonged to whom. Was it Kaz who wanted Quiet dead and Ocelot who told you to bring Quiet in alive or vice versa.

The former. Kaz is very revenge-minded.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think Tihi (or however it's spelled) is Russian. Ocelot mentions it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Hearing your brother's perspective on things is strange and enlightening, like listening in on another culture from the camouflaged bushes of internet anonymity.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

We're still alive! Latest video is taking a bit of time because Jay's levels are all over the place, so bear with us!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Fun fact, after you get a certain fulton upgrade, you can do Backup, Back Down with just the fulton and decoys :v:

It's actually a great way to make GiMP earlygame.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, folks, I'm sorry to have kept you in suspense this long, but between controller issues, frustrations with a certain mission in Africa, scheduling conflicts due to the challenges of real life, aging computer problems in general and a new project on the horizon, I'm afraid this LP is going to be coming to a close sooner rather than later.

I think I speak for myself as well as my brother when I say this has been a great LP while it lasted, and that MGS5 is an amazing game worth your time. There's one more video coming SoonTM, in need of a fair bit of audio TLC. I hope you've all enjoyed this as much as we have, fleeting as it was.

• Locked thread