Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Problem description: I upgraded to windows 10 to play Forza 3. My setup is windows on a 120gb SSD drive and a couple 1TiB drives for storage.

Because I do not have sufficient free space on SSD C:\, I followed these instructions to set all downloads to D:\.

That must have at least partially worked, because the first attempt to download got to about 40gb before the computer decided to put itself to sleep... and upon waking back up, the download reset to 0%. Great.

My second attempt got to ~48.9GB; I made the mistake of assuming this was a relatively modern OS and I could therefore web browse while it finished up.... and everything ground to a halt, spent 5 minutes staring at a blank screen waiting for Task Manager to open before having to hard reset. Went back to the windows store app, the download briefly flashed that it was at 49GB... then reset to 0 and started downloading again.

Now it appears this time that it must be caching the download on C:\, because I see my free space there trickling down as the download moves forward. The odd/hosed up thing about this is, it looks like I'm going to completely run out of space when I'm ~30gb in, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me given that it got significantly further than that on my other two tries.
Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
Google. Found various people bitching about how lovely the store download behavior is, no solutions.
Operating system: Win 10 x64

System specs: Pretty beefy machine, 16gb ram, newish 3.2ghz quad-core processor, GeForce 1080.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Can someone tell me what the gently caress I need to do to get this bullshit to finish downloading and installing? I'm on the verge of wanting to just do a credit chargeback for the game, reinstalling 8.1 and saying gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Yes, from playing around with WinDirStat I can see that it's sticking the Forza download into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.OpusPG_1.04blahblah

How the gently caress do I tell it to stick that poo poo on the D: drive?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The ultimate resolution was clearing C:\ space and retrying the download 3 times over 26 hours. I think that's bullshit which I sincerely hope bodes really badly for Microsoft's app store, which I'll think very hard about ever using again. The actual bug seems to involve processor and CPU spiking to 100 and killing everything most of the way through the download, and I haven't solved that yet but on the third try I was able to pause it before the system flatlined and then resume after a reboot. I did not get a look at what process was to blame because I got an out of resources error trying to click into that in taskmgr, but based on google I bet it was svchost. Unsure of actual bug, but fairly confident it's not malware or user error.

I'll leave this open in case anyone has further information.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 17, 2017

• Locked thread