Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

a mysterious cloak posted:

I think he's dead, because my brain refuses to suspend disbelief that even today, with the best care available, a person probably would be extremely lucky to survive those burns.

Yerr... but with that line of thinking, Delaney should be dead 6 or 7 times over, and he always pops back up like a staring, grunting jack-in-the-box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Which has to be from the unexplained, undefined cannibalism, that no one ever addresses, despite it possibly contributing greatly to his schizo-affective tendencies.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ms Boods posted:

Yerr... but with that line of thinking, Delaney should be dead 6 or 7 times over, and he always pops back up like a staring, grunting jack-in-the-box.

Oh definitely. It's just the burns thing that my brain refuses to accept as just fiction. I'm not sure why.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Uh...it could be mostly soot and a little singed epidermis. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway I've had a couple weeks to sit on it and this was pretty good. I definitely think it petered out a bit and sort of traded in the gothic mysticism for a more conventional heist/revenge tale but I'm looking forward to season 2.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Just watched this. Liked it a lot. Very stylish, and while not particularly deep I find with a caper/conspiracy you don't need the deepest characters as long as the conspiracies themselves are sufficiently engrossing. Tom Hardy is such a great actor, not necessarily in terms of empathy or dramatic chops, but he's highly entertaining to watch and he acts well with his body if that makes sense. His movements and postures are never robotic and highly expressive.

Jonathan Pryce, seems to really love playing joyful badguys because he does it so well. The GI Joe movies sucked, but his portrayal of Zaratan as the President, was so over the top excellent that it stood out, and here he is again being joyfully evil and corrupt. It might be his niche but drat if he doesn't do a great job.

Really good ensemble cast all around. Disappointed that the plot line with Oona Chaplin never went anywhere because it seemed like she'd have a bigger role but her entire plot was very tacked on to the rest of the story and if you'd completely deleted her from the show you probably could have gotten a tighter 6 episode show.

I watched this show in more or less one sitting and I think that's the best way to watch these kinds of shows because they're like a movie stretched out over 8 hours. I can't really imagine that watching it on a week to week basis was as enjoyable because there's a lot of moving parts and it doesn't really work well to reflect on it.

Looking forward to season two and more grunting.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also Tommy from Snatch turning into a convincing tough guy!

Missed him as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire? He was one of the standouts of that show.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just finished this and found the last 2-3 episodes still entertaining but less engrossing than the first couple episodes. I always find it a bit disappointing when a protagonist is always 10 steps ahead of enemies with more manpower and resources than him. Just dissolves the tension a bit too much when you're rooting for someone who's practically omniscient. I also didn't feel that the supernatural elements added anything other than maybe a tiny bit of color to the setting that wasn't really needed.

Still, beautifully shot, very well acted and I'll tune in for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only person in the show who could have messed him up was Zilva, and they realized the show transforms if John becomes vulnerable so they cleaned it up.

• Locked thread