Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so we've heard this one a million times: dictator gets challenged and refuses to leave power. this is basically now happening in The Gambia (the 'the' is important) - its long-standing leader, Yahya Jammeh, finally got the opposition unified enough to elect Generally Alright Guy Adama Barrow. he has now declared a period of emergency on basically his last day of office and is refusing to talk to anybody and by all means looks like he's declaring the election invalid and himself ruler for life

here are the problems with this.

a) his opposition is sizable. Barrow's taking the diplomatic route with this and meeting with West African leaders who have all condemned Jammeh's move. Senegal has troops on standby, Nigeria has troops on standby.

b) in case you were unaware, this is The Gambia

you may not be sure what you're seeing there, let's zoom in a little.

that seems awfully specific, are you sure that's not just-

nope that's this dude's entire loving country - the very end of one specific river. it's literally just a segment of Slightly More Important Country Senegal that decided it wasn't really feeling the whole being part of another, better country thing when the opportunity arose in the 80s. literally Senegal could just annex this place and that'd be that. basically Jammeh is determined to go down in history as the rear end in a top hat who risked civil war igniting in what is a kinda stable area of Africa all so he could continue ruling over his little pisspot of a country instead of handing it over to an alright dude in a positivity-inspiring moment of peaceful transition of power in a part of the world which struggles with that, and spending the rest of his life relaxing at some mansion using money he embezzled from his country

most of the other conflicts in the continent are tragic but understandable results of disunity and overseeing governments being too weak to handle competing blocs vying for power, but this is literally just a giant adult baby crying and throwing a tantrum when being told it's time for someone else to play with the blocks and thinking he can hold the entire daycare in check with 'i can totally throw these blocks at you, and it will really hurt, so you'd better listen to me!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i made a thread for this already op

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
there's no rule that says there can't be two the gambia threads, jose. welcome to the free market. :smugdon:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it doesn't even have a picture of the man himself

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Jose posted:

it doesn't even have a picture of the man himself

when i say the word 'african dictator' what is the first thing that comes to mind

no not a military dude i mean the kind who has convinced people their pajamas are formal wear to be worn in important global meetings, yeah like gaddafi

picture that and you pretty much have his picture

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Gyra_Solune posted:

when i say the word 'african dictator' what is the first thing that comes to mind

presiDONT bleary sombrero fartbamao tse dung, the wizard of uhhs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

here you go op

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800249

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dude don't copy the op's thread, bad taste

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Jan 17, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

there's no rule that says there can't be two the gambia threads, jose. welcome to the free market. :smugdon:

i'm going to perform an aggressive takeover

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Glad to hear about the status quo on the dark continent.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Imagine a country that's just a river (The Gambia)

Now imagine a country that's just a river of piss (The America)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thought the op was building to a "childish gambian" pun, was disappointed

voted 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jammeh is extremely buff

• Locked thread