Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Our Union is consecrated with the holy blood of six hundred thousand men, who died to set others free. gently caress neo-Confederates and Silicon Valley separationists alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
what if i wanted to make crimson skies happen in real life, OP

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
go and stick a hundred brass ball bearings up your steam punk rear end

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

counterpoint: the usa loving sucks

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
you're out of order, yinlock

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

The Divided States Of America

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

for this yankee nation i do not give a drat

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
The annexation of Hawaii was total bullshit but I have a feeling that the only other option was getting annexed by someone else.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

E: ^^^ Hawaii is a strategically important mid Pacific base. It had zero chance of surviving as an independent nation.

Please let San Francisco secede so we can have a civil war I believe in

Everyone else sit your rear end down

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Concordat posted:

The annexation of Hawaii was total bullshit but I have a feeling that the only other option was getting annexed by someone else.

Oh true. And Puerto Rico isn't a state so it's not secession if it's liberated

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Our Union is consecrated with the holy blood of six hundred thousand men, who died to set others free. gently caress neo-Confederates and Silicon Valley separationists alike.

QFT

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Not a Step posted:

E: ^^^ Hawaii is a strategically important mid Pacific base. It had zero chance of surviving as an independent nation.

Please let San Francisco secede so we can have a civil war I believe in

Everyone else sit your rear end down

Exactly. Kingdom of Hawaii would have lasted till the British or Japanese decided that harbor was too good to pass up.

The grievances of Hawaiian secessionists are entirely legitimate, yet...

Concordat has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Jan 18, 2017

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hawaii secedes and suddenly has been part of China for 5000 years

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm seceding my rear end, it's a separate state now

I do not submit to the sham authority of your admiralty court

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Concordat posted:

Exactly. Kingdom of Hawaii would have lasted till the British or Japanese decided that harbor was too good to pass up.

The grievances of Hawaiian secessionists are entirely legitimate, yet...

Eh. *Modern* Hawaii could probably survive as a sovereign state with defense treaties with the US. We'd keep all of our air and naval bases there as part of the deal of course, probably with a Status of Forces Agreement saying US troops are immune to prosecution by the Hawaiian state, but I think we're slightly less flag obsessed these days.

rudatron posted:

I'm seceding my rear end, it's a separate state now

I do not submit to the sham authority of your admiralty court

I put gold fringe around my junk and now I'm immune to indecency laws.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The Great Lakes Federation will be here long after the remnants of the United States have succumbed to flooding, drought, famine, Mexicans, etc.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFHlK8ZXgvE

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lot of dumb excuses for Hawaiian annexation itt. if it was really about its strategic location, they could have pressured the kingdom to lease land for bases. it was the white settlers, dummies

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Too bad we're in the lovely president Grant timeline and not the awesome president Sherman one

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

the united states is too large and it's really dumb that middle america n keep voting to gently caress themselves and the coasts just have to deal with it and coast by on states rights

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pomp posted:

the united states is too large and it's really dumb that middle america n keep voting to gently caress themselves and the coasts just have to deal with it and coast by on states rights

The problem is if we stay together as a nation everyone suffers together but we maintain *some* semblance of sanity. If we split the country up some parts get ahead without the dead weight of the others but those other parts free fall into hell. So I mean if you're fine condemning the minorities of the South to an unmitigated thousand years of darkness then hell yeah lets go Coastal States of America.

Maybe we could invade the South and set up a military occupation government and actually do Reconstruction right this time?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lot of dumb excuses for Hawaiian annexation itt. if it was really about its strategic location, they could have pressured the kingdom to lease land for bases. it was the white settlers, dummies

Naw son, it was pineapples and bananas brought to you by the Dole food corporation.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

my husband is a drunk, and also beats me; it's been going on a long time

so we should stay together indefinitely

the northern and coastal states will never dump the rest and hook up with canada but i can certainly see the appeal

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

The first state to secede in the future will be Florida, when it joins the Atlantic ocean.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's Time For Civil War Quote If You Agree!!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Nonsense posted:

It's Time For Civil War Quote If You Agree!!

i disagree wait gently caress gently caress

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Pomp posted:

the solution to this is more democracy, not moving into ever-smaller, fancier, gated communities of learned fancy liberals

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

counterpoint: the usa loving sucks

:yeah: but also the union should be dissolved entirely, not just have fuckin Georgia or whatever deuce out.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

ScrubLeague posted:

:yeah: but also the union should be dissolved entirely, not just have fuckin Georgia or whatever deuce out.

:agreed: this is the only nonviolent path i can see to breaking up the obscene consolidation of corporatist power that's about to hit its endgame

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

OP how do you feel about Cascadia?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Worst fans in MLS

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Uh only like 240k union died, the rest was confed trash

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Duscat posted:

:agreed: this is the only nonviolent path i can see to breaking up the obscene consolidation of corporatist power that's about to hit its endgame

Yes. When the federal government is dissolved surely the massive continent/globe spanning corporations will finally die as well, and certainly not move into the power vacuum to bail out failed states in return for a little 'consideration'. I hear Omni Consumer Products is willing to put in a bid for the Detroit defense contract.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh you misunderstand. When the Union is dissolved, all of Her residents will be murdered.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Not a Step posted:

Yes. When the federal government is dissolved surely the massive continent/globe spanning corporations will finally die as well, and certainly not move into the power vacuum to bail out failed states in return for a little 'consideration'. I hear Omni Consumer Products is willing to put in a bid for the Detroit defense contract.

why you gotta inject your reality into my political fantasies all the time jeeeeeez

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I want RoboCop just as much as you do.

Paul Verhoeven RoboCop. Not the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Not a Step posted:

The problem is if we stay together as a nation everyone suffers together but we maintain *some* semblance of sanity. If we split the country up some parts get ahead without the dead weight of the others but those other parts free fall into hell. So I mean if you're fine condemning the minorities of the South to an unmitigated thousand years of darkness then hell yeah lets go Coastal States of America.

Maybe we could invade the South and set up a military occupation government and actually do Reconstruction right this time?

Reconstruction was done right the first time, the poor got hosed and the rich got paid. Exactly as planned.

• Locked thread