Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hell I'd probably spend an hour or two doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HopperUK posted:

Hell I'd probably spend an hour or two doing that.

Juggernaut will master the Flying Nothing.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Still strange how much I miss this game, it scratched some itch I didn't know I had. I realize now it was because no other ARPG let me fly the Silver Surfer around a map murdering everything at light speed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We got an update over Christmas. Looks like map generation is slowly coming along.

https://crypto137.github.io/MHServerEmu/blog/2023/12/25/progress-report-december-2023.html

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

TGG posted:

Still strange how much I miss this game, it scratched some itch I didn't know I had. I realize now it was because no other ARPG let me fly the Silver Surfer around a map murdering everything at light speed.

*out of compassion

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It was also nice with how you could do some brain dead easy stuff and still get some nice loot. So many ARPGs hide anything better than trash behind difficult activities.

Between having a million characters to get to 60, and being able to progress those characters at 60 with better gear without having to sweat for it, it was just a brilliant brightly colored stress ball.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just read that a City of Heroes server was granted a license from NCSOFT. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/47223-ncsoft-homecoming-license-announcement/ Has this happened before? A dead game private server being granted an official license?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

phosdex posted:

I just read that a City of Heroes server was granted a license from NCSOFT. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/47223-ncsoft-homecoming-license-announcement/ Has this happened before? A dead game private server being granted an official license?

Homecoming is kind of a special case in this server emulation stuff - they're registered as an official nonprofit and e.g. do not accept donations beyond what they need to cover their operating costs. Iirc they've also been in communication with ncsoft about it since they opened. They're the only private MMO server I've ever seen that does everything above board.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
They wanna compete with the marvel heroes private server so bad

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Part of me wishes the private server is an elaborate extension of the joke about private server being real

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://crypto137.github.io/MHServerEmu/blog/2024/01/30/progress-report-january-2024.html

quote:

Most of my time in January has been spent untangling the web that is the CalligraphySerializer class. And the fun begins right from the name: despite being called a “serializer”, it literally cannot serialize any data.

amazing

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Maybe the switch flipper not actually being necessary to flip switches was because the switch flipper actually did something else

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
It is astounding that Marvel Heroes actually had any heroes in it, if you think about it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's astounding that Marvel Heroes worked at all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

It's astounding that Marvel Heroes worked at all.

My understanding is that this is most F2P games not made by massive developers. Content and assets are what make da monies, so that's where the resources go, while all the tech and supporting systems are barely functional heaps held together with hope.

That said, I am still agog at the fact that Marvel Heroes required someone to manually toggle weekly and monthly events.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the switch flipper was a valued member of the team and nobody wanted to put him out on the streets, begging for switches to flip

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
switch flipper lives under a bridge and is addicted to chat gems now. another victim of our system.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 1, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I think I figured out the secret to understanding the code, based on the days when Brevik and his wife would stream the game…

You have to get rip roaring drunk on whiskey! 🥃

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kheldarn posted:

I think I figured out the secret to understanding the code, based on the days when Brevik and his wife would stream the game…

You have to get rip roaring drunk on whiskey! 🥃

I always loved Marvel Heroes when I was blasted, because I could just go to midtown and turn blobs of mooks into lootsplosions. Even if I was like “two functioning neurons” level drunk, Marvel Heroes was always fun. Perfect game for when you’re in your 20’s and have weird hours.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

yeah it was so fun. i would just get a hero to max level and by the time i had done that i had enough of whatever that currency was to buy a new random hero. it was great.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
There was even a clear incentive to grinding every hero. I got so many nice characters and skins for completely free.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
They need to find a way to implement the raid bosses in Midtown. Having a 5 hour timer for Ultron or Surtur showing up and seeing the entire server jump into Midtown to take them down would be amazing.

Like actual good world bosses, not like the poo poo that modern devs do where the rewards are so weak that people don't even bother helping kill them.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
X-Men ‘97 crossover event when??

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Now I'm sad that I can't log into MH whenever there's a new Marvel thing out to see what cross promotion they did!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Wait, the thread title is actually accurate now? There's actually a somewhat playable build of the game out now?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think anything is playable yet. The group trying to do emulation is still working on getting the basic game systems functional.

They have a blog.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Still miles better than me spending the past few months assuming this thread was just continuing it's several year long bit rather than actually having private server info inside.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think anything is playable yet. The group trying to do emulation is still working on getting the basic game systems functional.

They have a blog.

quote:

For instance, regions have the following live tuning “knobs” available to them:

They’re not knobs, they’re switches! God! You can’t flip a knob!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wifi Toilet posted:

They’re not knobs, they’re switches! God! You can’t flip a knob!

Switch documentor went on vacation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
turning a big knob taht says "Midtown Madness" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right