Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hello! Do you like horror movies? Do you like ridiculous high energy gore? Do you like glowing liquids, of the highest caliber, from the 80's? Most importantly, do you like Jeffrey Combs absolutely devouring scenery? If you answered yes to any of the above, please join me in rewatching the Re-Animator films. If you've never seen them, well then watch them for the first time my friend!

The Re-Animator

The first film in the trilogy, it is loosely, so so incredibly loosely, based on the short story (maybe its a novella) Herbert West: Re-Animator by the master of macabre HP Lovecraft. The story follows a medical student, the titular Herbert West, and his uh, acquaintance, I hesitate to call them friends, Dan Cain, another medical student, as they try to uncover the secret behind life and death. This movie has some of the greatest practical effects I have ever seen, and the story is just a blast. Jefrrey Combs portrays a mad scientist in an amazingly subdued way, you can almost feel the madness even as he appears to remain completely cool and collected through out. Here is the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCGGG_NvE4g

I will write up about Bride of the Re-Animator next but for now please share your favorite parts of this film, and maybe some gifs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jeffrey Combs is good in anything

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's good

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The first two Re-Animator flicks are stone cold classics. The third is fun to see Combs play West again, but is a bad movie.

I frequently debate getting a tattoo related to Re-Animator, but am a coward so I haven't actually got one yet.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 23, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You say the first one is loosely based on the HPL story, but honestly it's pretty faithful if you compare it to most every other Lovecraft adaptation. I mean check out Necronomicon (also staring Combs) if you want loose.

I also think the original story is a horror-comedy/parody, and if you read it with that in mind it works better.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I've heard From Beyond is good too, confirm/deny?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

sean10mm posted:

any questions?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Its better than Re-Animator.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Its better than Re-Animator.

I won't go that far, but it's really good. 1A and 1B I'll say.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
All I know is I have a lot more fun watching From Beyond. I watched again this past October for like the 10th time, and it never gets old whereas I'm kinda sick of Reanimator and skipped it during my Halloween watchathon.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I watched it on a whim when it was on Netflix, I knew right from the titles it was going to be good. Really great movie and I love the ending with the out of control organs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is the general consensus that Bride is worth watching?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is the general consensus that Bride is worth watching?

Yes. Hell Yes. OMG YES

e: I bought the special edition that Arrow put out and it looks amazing. I had already seen the movie a couple of times on a DVD ripped from a VHS. HD made it even better.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 26, 2017

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
it goes without saying that if you like the Re-Animators and From Beyond that SOCIETY is essential viewing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

HP Hovercraft posted:

it goes without saying that if you like the Re-Animators and From Beyond that SOCIETY is essential viewing.

Society is bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Beyond Re-Animator is so disappointing. I wish they would've went with the original idea. The President of the United States dies and West injects the president's corpse with the re-agent, it would've been amazing.

• Locked thread