Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

financially racist posted:

it'd be rad if this is a sign of things to come in 2018
Hopefully it is but people have to actually vote.

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's vastly important that another state legislature didn't swing to the Republicans, because if they get enough they can defile the very constitution that they pretend to worship. but i agree, we gotta keep fighting, and elect not just democrats, but actually good, non-corporate democrats
Republicans are still dangerously close to literally being able to rewrite the Constitution unilaterally. It's insane that it's gotten this bad, and yet I know it can get so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

financially racist posted:

it'd be rad if this is a sign of things to come in 2018

there's several more in 2017 to look forward to. The next super high profile election is for tom price's old seat in georgia in april. price won election there in 2016 by a huge margin, but he was an incumbent and people seem to be a big fan of one of the democratic contenders, Jon Ossoff, so it's been getting attention and resources that it wouldn't normally. That'll be the first major test of "can we win seats we thought of as safely conservative and ignored in previous years"

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm glad that my tiny mangled micropenis of a state didn't become a falling Domino for maga chuds

im glad that your awful state did not get even more awful

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Best Giraffe posted:

im glad that your awful state did not get even more awful

:same:

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's several more in 2017 to look forward to. The next super high profile election is for tom price's old seat in georgia in april. price won election there in 2016 by a huge margin, but he was an incumbent and people seem to be a big fan of one of the democratic contenders, Jon Ossoff, so it's been getting attention and resources that it wouldn't normally. That'll be the first major test of "can we win seats we thought of as safely conservative and ignored in previous years"
Any Georgians want to make a thread for this? Hell, maybe I will if I read up on it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ossoff's platform is mostly good. "affordable" is a weasel word for healthcare and higher education, and he has a thing about investigating russian involvement which is foolish to make as a defining campaign issue. other than that, he seems solid- anti-citizens united, pro-Planned Parenthood, presumably pro-choice even though there's nothing in the platform that says either way

he's already raised $250k from non-PAC donors

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sweet DE

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Bird State

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

ossoff's platform is mostly good. "affordable" is a weasel word for healthcare and higher education, and he has a thing about investigating russian involvement which is foolish to make as a defining campaign issue. other than that, he seems solid- anti-citizens united, pro-Planned Parenthood, presumably pro-choice even though there's nothing in the platform that says either way

he's already raised $250k from non-PAC donors

Yeah he seems solid

quote:

What Ossoff stands for is an economy-first pragmatism buttressed by unqualified support for liberal causes, including Planned Parenthood and reproductive rights. He infuses his comments about Trump with an argument for, and a demonstration of, civil discourse. “People are concerned that Trump may embarrass us on the world stage, that he may not be competent to do the job, and that he’s dishonest,” he told me, adding, “I share all of those concerns.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/27/could-the-resistance-start-with-georgia-s-special-election.html

Don't see how he's gonna be attractive for conservatives, but yeah I can send some bux his way. Feels like someone from the area or state should make the thread though.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Special elections in Connecticut today.

exact same situation as delaware, senate tied after vacancies following the election, but this time with two seats up for grabs. it hasn't received much attention since one district is very heavily democratic, and the other is very heavily republican, so the even split is likely to be maintained. Democrats control the tiebreaker vote (through the lieutenant governor), so chances are it'll still be a democratic legislature after.

it'll still be interesting to see the results, as it might show national drift in opinion even in places where money isn't being spent.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

oh hey, the high school i graduated from is located in the 32nd district. apparently it hasn't been repped by a Democrat since the mid-1930s and it's easy to see why, it's a mostly rural area outside of the Waterbury suburbs, which is probably filled with people who get angry about being close to a poor, unsafe city

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
People were talking about the CT special elections in here so here's the results:

https://twitter.com/MaxReiss/status/836758184140341248
https://twitter.com/MaxReiss/status/836753274619498496
https://twitter.com/MaxReiss/status/836755036810133504

Nothing too shocking but the Dems retain control over CT, and they had a good showing in a solid R district. If Dems can keep that level of turnout up, there will be a lot of single digit GOP districts they might flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I am glad my coastal weed hollywood brah THE 405 state money made a difference.

A .0000001 difference.

Still, a difference.

• Locked thread