Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Just got out of a tour in Italy tasting many different olive oils.
I can confirm that nothing that delicious can be found in standard grocery markets in the states. However i saw a few nice brands which can be found in here as well (Monini, San Giuliano).
Actually there are a many minor brands(sooo good) which can only be found there, as most of them only sell regionally. Luckily i manage to get the contact of a nice local shop which ships worldwide for a very reasonable price.
I would suggest to find the contact of a local dealer in Italy which ships worldwide rather than go on commercial brands. I got a shipment which will hopefully last me a year. They even told me how to stock the oil to last long.

btw did you know that just squeezed extra virgin olive oil is sparkling and spicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

RattiRatto posted:

Just got out of a tour in Italy tasting many different olive oils.
I can confirm that nothing that delicious can be found in standard grocery markets in the states. However i saw a few nice brands which can be found in here as well (Monini, San Giuliano).
Actually there are a many minor brands(sooo good) which can only be found there, as most of them only sell regionally. Luckily i manage to get the contact of a nice local shop which ships worldwide for a very reasonable price.
I would suggest to find the contact of a local dealer in Italy which ships worldwide rather than go on commercial brands. I got a shipment which will hopefully last me a year. They even told me how to stock the oil to last long.

Genco Pura Olive Oil Company?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Croatoan posted:

Well of course. There are only so many olive oil companies that are not infiltrated by the mob.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Croatoan posted:

I came to the conclusion that the mob does superb extra virgin olive oil
They have some hidden flavor which makes it special
every time a person disappears the olive oil batch get better

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i bought some olive oil that had sediment in it that claims it was cold pressed and was £7 for 750ml is that likely to be legit i've not actually opened it

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jose posted:

i bought some olive oil that had sediment in it that claims it was cold pressed and was £7 for 750ml is that likely to be legit i've not actually opened it

From where? Does it claim to be a recent pressing (olio nuovo)? I've bought good quality unfiltered EV cold-pressed CALIFORNIAN oil for about that much in USD, but I'd be dubious getting Italian for about that much. I just saw on Saturday what i recognized as 500mL of VERY high quality oil from a Spanish producer for only $5 -- it was that much because it was labeled as a "spring pressing for use in the summer," ie it's remainder-stock, and was probably closer to $20 back in May/June. Probably still very good, though.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Getting californian oil is probably more expensive than getting Italian in the UK. We've also got reasonable consumer protection, so you can be a bit more sure that it's okay (until we leave the EU and join the free for all on labelling).

Still though, there is the same issue at play- the brands themselves can be fine, but if their suppliers are shifty then all bets are off for that batch. Best thing to do is just taste it.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

pim01 posted:

Getting californian oil is probably more expensive than getting Italian in the UK. We've also got reasonable consumer protection, so you can be a bit more sure that it's okay (until we leave the EU and join the free for all on labelling).

Still though, there is the same issue at play- the brands themselves can be fine, but if their suppliers are shifty then all bets are off for that batch. Best thing to do is just taste it.

sage advice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
USDA does in fact have Olive oil standards, which can be certified:

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/olive-oil-and-olive-pomace-oil-grades-and-standards

So check for USDA certification.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How long does olive oil keep in a cool dark place?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Suspect Bucket posted:

How long does olive oil keep in a cool dark place?

1792.48 days

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

1792.48 days

Don't troll. It's 1792.48 days give or take a week or so depending on when it was bottled.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Don't troll. It's 1792.48 days give or take a week or so depending on when it was bottled.

touché.

also, I forgot that the shape of the bottle also can have an impact on how long olive oil will keep in a cool dark place, so keep that in mind fwiw.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Pooper Trooper posted:

For that matter, it's extremely unlikely that you will find actual extra-virgin olive oil anywhere. When a farmer takes their olives to the mill, the mill withholds a percentage of the oil they produced from that particular farmer's olive crop. The farmer can then either keep the rest of the oil for himself to sell or whatnot, or just sell it directly to the mill. Most oil mills (in a non-industrial scale) will generally crush the olives at significantly higher temperatures to increase yield, and then mix up the various olive oils they've pressed that season and bottle the mix.

Cold pressed, extra-virgin olive oil is REALLY hard to produce in profitable volume. For example, my olives crop this year was just over 1 ton, 1080kg. I don't sell my oil, I just keep it for home consumption so I asked the mill guy to press it at a cold temperature, generally around 12-15°C. That left me with about 120kg of olive oil, just around 10%. That low a percentage is pretty hard to make a profit off of, so most producers push the crushing temperature up to juuuuust about the limit where it can still be labelled extra virgin or just exceed it or mix it up or whatever. It's actually pretty common knowledge in most olive oil producing countries.

Not to brag, but look at that colour

You consume 120kg of olive oil a year? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Pooper Trooper posted:

For that matter, it's extremely unlikely that you will find actual extra-virgin olive oil anywhere. When a farmer takes their olives to the mill, the mill withholds a percentage of the oil they produced from that particular farmer's olive crop. The farmer can then either keep the rest of the oil for himself to sell or whatnot, or just sell it directly to the mill. Most oil mills (in a non-industrial scale) will generally crush the olives at significantly higher temperatures to increase yield, and then mix up the various olive oils they've pressed that season and bottle the mix.

Cold pressed, extra-virgin olive oil is REALLY hard to produce in profitable volume. For example, my olives crop this year was just over 1 ton, 1080kg. I don't sell my oil, I just keep it for home consumption so I asked the mill guy to press it at a cold temperature, generally around 12-15°C. That left me with about 120kg of olive oil, just around 10%. That low a percentage is pretty hard to make a profit off of, so most producers push the crushing temperature up to juuuuust about the limit where it can still be labelled extra virgin or just exceed it or mix it up or whatever. It's actually pretty common knowledge in most olive oil producing countries.

Not to brag, but look at that colour

How much land do you have dedicated to olive trees? Just trying to understand yield/acre (or whatever the standard measurement is).

• Locked thread