Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm not sure if regular Face Off is going away, but while I was watching, there was an ad for a 'new' show called Game Face. According to SyFy's website, it's going to be four different returning contestants in three elimination rounds every episode.

So it sounds like they're mashing together Face Off with Cosplay Melee's progressive elimination style.

Someone made a vagina face during Episode 1 so it was an ok show. I guess it will fill the Face Off void for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

vagina face

AndyElusive posted:

the Face Off void

Hey no need to repeat yourself :v:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

GameFace... I dunno. I just watched someone get $10,000 for 3 lousy-ish make-ups. The final two were a real Sophie's Choice between two atrocious makeups. One of them literally stuck a drat rubber hose up their model's nose!

I've been saying for years, Face Off has been running into real talent issues the past few seasons. Not enough GOOD amateurs out there to sustain this show, especially twice a year.

This season's winner, Andrew, wasn't even an amateur! He owns a shop with 20 full time employees!

So instead of two Face Offs per year, they're going to try to bring back past Face Off contestants for Game Face to help replenish the talent pool for a yearly Face Off. I dunno if I'm going to keep watching GameFace tho.

Also, the photography or whatever of GameFace looks weird. Maybe they were trying to make it look like a gameshow, like Wheel of Fortune or whatever, but it just looks like crap. Kind of a local evening news look/feel to it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I like that Game Face ramped up a lot of the fun aspects of the show by placing crazy time restraints on the contestants (now they're always making crazy decisions because they're always running out of time!) but the time restraint aspect also sucked out the creative core of the show since it doesn't allow for sculpting/casting at all. It's been reduced to contestants sticking premade things on models' faces, trying to blend and paint them to make some kind of sense, covering them up with costumes/props and hoping the end result doesn't suck too much. A show where Roy is pretty much guaranteed to lose because his main thing is fabrication and the format doesn't give him enough time to manufacture anything decent is .... dumb. It's Flash Challenge: The Series when the flash challenges were always the weakest aspect of the original show.

Also Rick Baker is wasted on this show. :smith:

Maybe they'll change up the format in other episodes? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 26, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I agree with professional makeup limiting time for reality shenanigans almost always produces bad quality. This is probably the one show they should give more time to, it kind of makes the art look amateur.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the format change where they have the three judges sitting there and commenting the entire time the contestants are working is weird and awkward but I guess they needed to wedge in some type of shop talk somewhere since the contestants are way too busy to interact with each other and we don't get the initial judging round where the judges walk down the line and privately discuss each of the makeups before talking to the contestants and asking "So what was the thinking here?"

It would've been awesome if they had Glenn Hetrick and Michael Westmore sitting on the sidelines cracking jokes like Statler and Waldorf. :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope that the judges don't stay the same every week. This kind of format allows for a lot of variety in who's there to decide a winner each episode. Game Face reminds me of a show on the Food Network called Chopped and there the judges are rarely the same 3 every time.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I'm pretty sure I remember reading Ve and Rick Baker are the regular judges, and the 3rd seat will be a guest judge.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw, I didn't realise how much I missed Tate but it was great to see him again. It's great to see that his career after Face Off has been so successful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well it was pretty inevitable that if they kept pushing the contestants into a corner they'd end up with a final round with two awful makeups and they'd have to give the win to the one that was least terrible. The "Harry Potter spell backfired" idea just didn't fit the format of the show, the contestants had no idea what to do and it really showed.

Great to see Robert and Alana again, Robert is always great value and it was so :3: seeing Alana totally fangirl over Rick Baker. :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well it was pretty inevitable that if they kept pushing the contestants into a corner they'd end up with a final round with two awful makeups and they'd have to give the win to the one that was least terrible. The "Harry Potter spell backfired" idea just didn't fit the format of the show, the contestants had no idea what to do and it really showed.

Great to see Robert and Alana again, Robert is always great value and it was so :3: seeing Alana totally fangirl over Rick Baker. :v:

The spell ideas just didn't work. Like if you're setting the potential choices in stone with the wand choices, you need to make sure there are prosthetics available to actually match the afflictions the wands will give you. Even the judges looked surprised when she found physical rope. If they have an ~hour to do the big deal-branded film-franchise-challenge loving hold their hands a little bit so things at least look good in the end.

Also lmao that you can just take a single prosthetic and say "yeah thats my face done in 10 mins, time to spend 50 mins painting" while other people have to cobble together 3+ things to make their design work.

if they're just rewarding the people who slap a single element on someones face and put time into their paint, and it won't be long until contestants figure that out and poo poo gets REAL weak, though that bug seashell face paint WAS really drat good this week.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2017

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
Why did they make the contestants scoop out fish and transport them in small tanks to single larger tanks at their own stations? Isn't that super stressful for the animals? It would make so much more sense to just assign fish and bring them already in the larger single tanks. Or use pictures? I feel bad for the fish.

I had no idea Alana was the one behind that spooky Fall Out Boy video, those makeups were hideous (but fit the theme, I guess).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So is anyone even watching this show any more?? :v:

The latest episode was a 'champions' challenge with 4 previous Face Off winners but the result was still pretty meh. They're still having to cobble together makeups from premade prosthetics so the contest pretty much comes down to a speed painting challenge which just isn't that interesting. Plus some of my favourite contestants like Cig and George just didn't adapt to this format and got eliminated immediately and that sucks.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So is anyone even watching this show any more?? :v:

The latest episode was a 'champions' challenge with 4 previous Face Off winners but the result was still pretty meh. They're still having to cobble together makeups from premade prosthetics so the contest pretty much comes down to a speed painting challenge which just isn't that interesting. Plus some of my favourite contestants like Cig and George just didn't adapt to this format and got eliminated immediately and that sucks.

You should see how bad the newbies did in episode 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

You should see how bad the newbies did in episode 7.

They put those noobs through the wringer, the poor guys. Even the veterans were struggling with this format but the new guys weren't cut any slack, they got tossed right in the deep end. :v:

It's interesting that they ran out of previous contestants already. Sucks for the new contestants that they only got to gently caress around in the studio for a day and compete for $10k instead of taking part in a full season with $100k on the line.

The yin/yang superhero/villain challenge was a nice idea except that superheroes generally look like regular handsome people which sucks for a prosthetics effects challenge show. Especially if you're a dumbass who doesn't know where a person's jawline is supposed to go. :v:

• Locked thread