Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

90s x-men tactics game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Zas posted:

has anyone played ogre battle 64

I've. It's very good even though I got the bad ending.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

ogre battle 64 is probably in the top 5 games for the system imho. It also mixes up the traditional tactics gameplay by having you make squadrons that roam around the map in real-time and have automated action in battle based on their positioning on a grid. its honestly so soothing and enjoyable, its unthinkable that there hasn't been a spiritual sequel or something in the modern era

Sofia Coppola_OD_ fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 6, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They just put ogre battle 64 on virtual console, we did it IMp Zone.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

unbelievable

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zas posted:

has anyone played ogre battle 64

yes and it owns friend

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

ogre battle 64 is probably in the top 5 games for the system imho. It also mixes up the traditional tactics gameplay by having you make squadrons that roam around the map in real-time and have automated action in battle based on their positioning on a grid. its honestly so soothing and enjoyable, its unthinkable that there hasn't been a spiritual sequel or something in the modern era

the reason for this as i understand it is that in addition to the tsunami of words that an ogre battle game has there is no engine anywhere that does even half of the small unit tactics stuff that the games are mostly known for so to do one you basically have to roll your own engine

poo poo is hard basically but it doesn't change that you are right because OB64 fuckin owns

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i beat tactics ogre psp recently (law ending), now im replaying wotl after a few years, and then its jeanne d'arc, and then im giving final fantasy tactics advance 2 a go.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been playing FFTA2 off and on for a while now for an hour or two every day, and my team is deadly now. i think that i'm still too weak for brightmoon tor tho...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I may have inadvertently stumbled across a goldmine today. This series: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/langrisser/langrisser.htm seems awesome for tactics. It's like FE games but there's a concept of a General, so you have 2 - 4 named units in your army, and then each map the generals can build soldiers and equipment in the prep phase, so you're moving fronts of units around. It seems like a combo of what Total War would eventually do but constrained to the hardware limitations of the genesis. I wanna play these games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol "These characters are brought to life by the beautiful illustrations by artist Satoshi Urushihara, notable for anime such as Legend of Lemear and Plastic Little, and infamous for hentai like Ragnarok City and Front Innocent. Urushihara has a specialty for designing attractive, scantily glad girls with wistful doe eyes and impossibly pert breasts, but he doesn't stray away from creating stylish male characters with overflowing spikes of vibrantly colored hair, suited up in stylishly bulked-up armor."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"Langrisser is one of the finest strategy RPG series out there. It has the depth that Shining Force lacks, but doesn't require the obsessive perfection that Fire Emblem demands. And unlike Final Fantasy Tactics or Nippon Ichi strategy games, the focus is more on strategic thinking than building up levels or skills. The only real problem with it - other than the fact that only the first one was ever translated into English - is that it's too epic for its own good."

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

In Training posted:

it's too epic for its own good."

Whao *grabs another cheetoe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whoa. There was a reboot released last year and actually translated for the west and the only info I can find about it is one review that says it rips off fire emblem awakening but then spends 5 paragraphs saying there wasnt enough explicit gay sex and gives it a 1/10. So im curious.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Der Langrisser for the SNES is really good and translated (and is an expanded rerelease of Langrisser II), and Langrisser IV on the PS1 also has a translation. Those two are cool because they have branching paths through the story, which I know the first two games don't have. They're kind of like a hybrid between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars where you have a few important named characters and then a bunch of expendable generic units

The new one looked pretty bad, though, and I never heard anything good about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's no way it's a worse strategy game that Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (which I enjoyed)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I had Hoshigami on the ps1 but it was a letdown after FFT. Everything is.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

I may have inadvertently stumbled across a goldmine today. This series: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/langrisser/langrisser.htm seems awesome for tactics. It's like FE games but there's a concept of a General, so you have 2 - 4 named units in your army, and then each map the generals can build soldiers and equipment in the prep phase, so you're moving fronts of units around. It seems like a combo of what Total War would eventually do but constrained to the hardware limitations of the genesis. I wanna play these games

you should play the new 3ds one

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
just kidding so you dont actually buy and play it because of that post

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Having some fun with Fire Emblem Heores. It's a pretty light casual SRPG with gacha elements, but it's not as aids-filled as similar free to play mobile games. Nintendo moving into the mobile market is a good thing.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

In Training posted:

lol i bought it on the wii virtual console like three days before this was announced

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

The original got a US release as Warsong for the Genesis. I played the absolute poo poo out of that game as a kid, definitely try it if you can stomach the weak even for the time graphics.

It's anime as a gently caress in a good way how your generals just mow down the standard units.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

lol "These characters are brought to life by the beautiful illustrations by artist Satoshi Urushihara, notable for anime such as Legend of Lemear and Plastic Little, and infamous for hentai like Ragnarok City and Front Innocent. Urushihara has a specialty for designing attractive, scantily glad girls with wistful doe eyes and impossibly pert breasts, but he doesn't stray away from creating stylish male characters with overflowing spikes of vibrantly colored hair, suited up in stylishly bulked-up armor."

that dude made the art for growlanser which i played for psp and dropped for having slow as gently caress gameplay

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there was a hidden level in langrisser 2 where the generals were a bunch of bald bodybuilders straight out of cho aniki and when your dudes got into a fight with them the bodybuilders would flex once, there would be an almighty flash of light, and all your dudes would be dead

it loving owned

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

if u want some hidden gems: front mission, and bahamut lagoon are good tactics games

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
sakura wars is supposed to be good too but i havent played any of them

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

if u want some hidden gems: front mission, and bahamut lagoon are good tactics games

Front Mission ftmfw

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
finally, theres a game called yggdra union for the gba or psp which is a strategy game. i havent played it but im thinking about it cos its by the people who made Knights in the Nightmare. not really a fan of how this one looks though

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Front Mission ftmfw

i really wanna play 5 .. ive only played 2 but 5 is supposed to be like freaking godly

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

finally, theres a game called yggdra union for the gba or psp which is a strategy game. i havent played it but im thinking about it cos its by the people who made Knights in the Nightmare. not really a fan of how this one looks though

Most Dept. Heaven games are pretty good but hard as hell. Yggdra was one of the most hardcore TRPG games I played

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

yggdra union was cool, so ws riviera the promised land which IIRC was by the same guys. not a tactics game, more like an adventure game wth cool combat. i didnt like the art style much bt the game was fun

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i really wanna play 5 .. ive only played 2 but 5 is supposed to be like freaking godly

easily in the top 5 games ive ever played. walters a badass

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i might try to emulate front mission after i get done replaying stardew valley. i need to finish FFTA:2 as well...

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

riviera was too hard to look at for me to play for more than like 10 mins. I feel like there was another one in that era like Luminous Arc or something? I actually think Knights in The Nightmare is pretty great and worth just checking out for aesthetic/mechanical purposes. One real stinker I remember is that PS2 one with the super bland art called like stellar deus.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Skylark posted:

In a similar vein, here's a fanfiction where Animal Collective warps to the Fire Emblem universe and a Fire Emblem character tops PAnda Bear. http://narutodude69.deviantart.com/art/Pandamonium-part-1-116578867

well isnt that great NOW i'm waiting for final fantasy tactics advance 3 AND pandamonium part 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Most Dept. Heaven games are pretty good but hard as hell. Yggdra was one of the most hardcore TRPG games I played

yggdra owns but has so much "step on this unmarked square to get this important thing" and "steal from this character like five times for the good item" bullshit

• Locked thread