Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Actuarial Fables

The power went out here at work. At first I thought it was the facilities people doing w/e it is they do but it's been out for far too long now.
I'm hoping it'll stay out for the rest of my shift, as it's really neat with all the lights off (also I can't do anything).

What do you like to do when the power goes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dads Dip Cup

when the power goes out I like to emerge from my hiding spot and rattle my bones by dancing a little jig

oh no I'm not a skeleton I'm just very shy and not confident in my dancing so I only do it when I know it's too dark for people to see me :(

Actuarial Fables

Update: still no power, but security came around and told me I had to leave. Gettin' paid to nap aww yeah.

Dads Dip Cup posted:

oh no I'm not a skeleton I'm just very shy and not confident in my dancing so I only do it when I know it's too dark for people to see me :(

:hf:

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I want to lie and say I read but I usually just leave and get coffee or something.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Actuarial Fables posted:

The power went out here at work. At first I thought it was the facilities people doing w/e it is they do but it's been out for far too long now.
I'm hoping it'll stay out for the rest of my shift, as it's really neat with all the lights off (also I can't do anything).

i scream into the void until a coworker tells me to just open my eyes

Cutscene Powers
I wait patiently until the power comes back op, and then resume the task of the day

Historical Wizards

I panic as I anticipate the collapse of the facade that is civility, and await the destruction of society as we know it.

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

a fragile ego

Whats power like around there? Do you think thats the problem?

Dads Dip Cup

the power begins to flicker, then returns to normal. for a few brief moments all seems well until... complete darkness

Doctor : "it's flatlining!! nurse, begin charging the defibrillator, stat!"

the nurse removes her shoes and begins frantically scuffling her socks on the carpet

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

which of your co-workers are you going to eat first, op?

Actuarial Fables

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

which of your co-workers are you going to eat first, op?

Probably my boss.

I felt kind of bad calling him up at 2:30am to tell him that there's no power and I'm going home though.

Three-Phase

by zen death robot

Actuarial Fables posted:

• Check UPS system statuses (normal state if transferred to generator power successfully)
  • Verify backup generators are running and ATS has transferred from utility to generator supply
  • Check high voltage (distribution) system status and event logs
  • Check for obvious smoke/fire
  • Check high voltage protective relaying for cause-of-trip
  • Take corrective actions

Dads Dip Cup posted:

the power begins to flicker, then returns to normal. for a few brief moments all seems well until... complete darkness

Sometimes I count recloser shots out loud when that happens.

(lights go out)
... ...shot 1
(lights come back and go out)
... ...shot 2
(lights come back and go out, stay out)
Uh oh.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 27, 2017

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Robot Made of Meat

Actuarial Fables posted:

At work, I get annoyed and start climbing under desks to deal with getting a telephone to work during the outage. I also try to remember where the h*ck we keep a flashlight so I can see what I'm doing.

At home, I either just go on the deck and drink (after calling the power company) in the summer, or panic in winter because everything runs on electricity so I won't have water or heat or anything.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Rushi

by Smythe
Pretty much if they go out I'm gonna read a book.

The inability of early DSL in my small town to not go down for 12hr+ periods a couple times a month is pretty much how most books got read as a teenager.

After I make a shrine to scare away demon spirits.

----------------

Djeser

it's crow time again

i have two laptops, three phones, a nintendo game boy advance sp, a nintendo ds lite, and a psp-3000 so i just use my possessions to fill the void in my soul but in the dark

----------------

Mariana Horchata

angry call the electric company claiming to be the mayor :q:

Elusif

Cook soup

joke_explainer

Power has never gone out at my work... well, briefly, but we have backup battery that automatically kicks in and 1 week of diesel for a big ole generator. Only went on battery once for like 15 minutes that I recall and nobody noticed anything different in the office.

Actuarial Fables

joke_explainer posted:

Power has never gone out at my work... well, briefly, but we have backup battery that automatically kicks in and 1 week of diesel for a big ole generator. Only went on battery once for like 15 minutes that I recall and nobody noticed anything different in the office.

We've got a bunch of diesel generators as well, but I think they only power the server rooms and other critical components.

My job is obviously non-critical.

e. I used to work at a not-quite-fast-food place and right as I was about to clock out, the power went out. I had to stick around for two hours putting everything perishable into the walk-in cooler and freezer, washing dishes in the dark (emergency lights weren't working, big surprise), and trying to keep the two managers on duty calm because it wasn't their normal store and they were really worried. We had two ovens at the time, and with little circulation the air in the store got really hot. Didn't help that it was really humid that day either.

A few minutes after I left the power came back on.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 28, 2017

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
take a nap

Actuarial Fables

It happened again.

This time, however, it was planned for a different building! Not sure why mine was down too.

Gave me time to work on my resume - hopefully I can find a place that can keep the lights on!

e. Turns out if something is scheduled for 12am Sunday, please don't start getting ready at 11:50pm Sunday!!

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 20, 2017

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I go around consoling the light switches and electrical outlets and appliances that it's ok, rest up it'll all be better soon because when you're a light switch and the power's out you really feel powerless so basically I like to empower things when the lights go out

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

JuulPodSaveAmerica

Actuarial Fables posted:

It happened again.

This time, however, it was planned for a different building! Not sure why mine was down too.

Gave me time to work on my resume - hopefully I can find a place that can keep the lights on!

e. Turns out if something is scheduled for 12am Sunday, please don't start getting ready at 11:50pm Sunday!!

I keep missing memos...

----------------
i honestly believe you are tripping right now.

joke_explainer

this thread title has been haunting me for days. its very poetic

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
do drugs and jerk off

Actuarial Fables

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

This was my favorite blackout, as we got to eat all the ice cream in the freezer. :yum:

My Dad also got spooked by it and bought a month's worth of non-perishable foods. We still have most of our stockpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

He ran the simulation again. The last eight had been with minimal life support, only a few of the hib modules powered on; the rest of the crew practically left for dead. This run was even more pessimistic.

The idea had been, just get them cold and then pump out the atmosphere, open the hull and expose the unplugged caskets to space. Save power that way. They didn't have the technology to revive those people, but they'd stay cold at least.

The simulation issued a ping and he began to browse the results. Again, no use. That was with zero sleepers, zero crew. The problem wasn't just the power but the fuel. Lost mass, lost distance, busted trajectory... No matter what provision he could dream up, the result was the same. Out goes the lights... and the heat... and the computers. They were doomed to be a cold husk drifting in the endless empty wasteland between the stars.

• Locked thread