Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
hang all nobles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Not me, but I just remembered that about a week ago, one of my state's senators was honoring someone in his district who had been in the Air Corps during WWII, and continued his service into Korea and Vietnam.

The senator made sure to mention that the guy had a Longevity medal with 4 oak leaf clusters, and a Good Conduct medal with some oak leaf clusters.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Everyone jokes about field cooks getting NAMs for preparing food in the field, but I saw that poo poo happen with my own eyes in October 2007 at CLB-1, loving three or four of them. I was supposed to go on leave at noon, ended up leaving late af and drat near missed my flight due to the awards formation. Also, since I didn't anticipate having poo poo to do the next day, I got trashed the night before and threw up all over my barracks room; I was 19 at the time.
Said field op had a celebrity guest, Tobey McGuire. He was there doing character research for his upcoming film Brothers, which I've never watched. Manlet decided to gently caress with perimeter guard in the middle of the night just to see what it's like to get his rear end beat I guess, and he did.
Also saw a dude eat a dung beetle at that field op for $15 and saw someone else blow up an M69 before actually throwing it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The company officer clerk at my PMO got a NAM. She had three kids over her four year enlistment and never worked anywhere but the company office. Filing papers. I stood in the award ceremony formation next to a dude that I saw pull a captain out of a burning vehicle during an ambush. He too, got a NAM for his effort.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

My commander redlined a medal that I was written up for when I saved someone from drowning.

gently caress the Air Force.

Edit: Or at least he blocked it/talked someone out of it/ hosed around with the recommendation because he was a gigantic gently caress stick so I didn't get it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Been in 6 years, completely slick. I wouldn't want any medal I'm eligible for anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My sep medal and an aerial achievement got lost somewhere between my flight and the awards&decs shop, I guess. Found out later I should've had another unit award...meritorious or outstanding, whichever is the common one.

:effort:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Only awards I gave a poo poo about were my CIB and EIB.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Best one I got was my DD-214.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
my ribbon stack

lol

three gimmies and one "i went to japan for 15 days and got fuckin wasted"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yay guard

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

As an AF dude I got 2 AAMs from a TDY missile defense unit to Osan. My unit was responsible for a weapon system that the Army cats would tie into during exercises.

The first medal came when they arrived, plugged their laptops into the ports and weren't getting any data. They were set up in a small office in the hallway next to my office, so in passing I heard them mention the system name and a bunch of swears so I stuck my head in as I had experience with it in Hawaii.

A bunch of wire tracing later I found out that during the server room renovation someone had disconnected the server and the contractor responsible had been fired and never passed on continuity so there it sat. I hauled the drat thing to my office (another comm room) and got it all set up and working and basically saved the US-RoK alliance from hellfire or some poo poo.

Best part is during the post-exercise 'Coin ceremony', the Army Major running the show asked to present my medal to me before the coin stuff started, so I got to stand in front of a full base theatre to get a frikkin AAM. Also pissed off the 7AF CC as he didn't know wtf since I didn't let anyone on the AF side know what I did so he had to make a special vist to our shop the next day to give me an extra coin to save face.

Second one was the same dudes, same exercise a year later. They showed up with fresh laptops and no software so I installed everything and taught their dumb as rocks troops how to use the software to generate reports.

What did I get from the AF for my three years of babysitting a PTF? Zip, because I failed a PT test my first year there. :jerkbag:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:same:

My deployment award got downgraded to an AAM because ~Army~, the rest of them are basically bullshit for not being a moron at my job.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

nullscan posted:

As an AF dude I got 2 AAMs from a TDY missile defense unit to Osan. My unit was responsible for a weapon system that the Army cats would tie into during exercises.

The first medal came when they arrived, plugged their laptops into the ports and weren't getting any data. They were set up in a small office in the hallway next to my office, so in passing I heard them mention the system name and a bunch of swears so I stuck my head in as I had experience with it in Hawaii.

A bunch of wire tracing later I found out that during the server room renovation someone had disconnected the server and the contractor responsible had been fired and never passed on continuity so there it sat. I hauled the drat thing to my office (another comm room) and got it all set up and working and basically saved the US-RoK alliance from hellfire or some poo poo.

Best part is during the post-exercise 'Coin ceremony', the Army Major running the show asked to present my medal to me before the coin stuff started, so I got to stand in front of a full base theatre to get a frikkin AAM. Also pissed off the 7AF CC as he didn't know wtf since I didn't let anyone on the AF side know what I did so he had to make a special vist to our shop the next day to give me an extra coin to save face.

Second one was the same dudes, same exercise a year later. They showed up with fresh laptops and no software so I installed everything and taught their dumb as rocks troops how to use the software to generate reports.

What did I get from the AF for my three years of babysitting a PTF? Zip, because I failed a PT test my first year there. :jerkbag:

6-52? 6-52.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Nah, these were dudes from Hawaii.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Do you get to wear both at the same time?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Do you get to wear both at the same time?

No.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Now see... that makes no sense. You get into combat and get a CIB but then you go above and beyond and get an EIB and now if you want to wear it you have to ditch the signifier that you're a combat vet.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Now see... that makes no sense. You get into combat and get a CIB but then you go above and beyond and get an EIB and now if you want to wear it you have to ditch the signifier that you're a combat vet.

They just need to make an Expert Combat Infantry Badge.

It'll look the same as a CIB, but instead of a musket, it'll have a dick.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yeah eventually once drat near everyone had their CIB, I started wearing the EIB.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Loden Taylor posted:

They just need to make an Expert Combat Infantry Badge.

It'll look the same as a CIB, but instead of a musket, it'll have a dick.

Someone proposed a Master Infantry Badge or some such that is gold instead of silver to denote having both CIB + EIB.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That's mine. Minus the German Marksmanship.

Should have another AAM, a JAM and Arcom

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Does that rack thing ship stuff out in the same order that it shows on the website? Because I put things in like the PUC, CAR, and Meritorious Unit Commendation before I put in my Good Conduct (second award!), and it's showing as behind them, even though it's senior. Wonder how many people that's hosed in inspection.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

No idea. Army doesn't wear unit awards with individual awards.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I once saw a citation for a National Guard guy's AAM which was based entirely upon his qualifying for marksman during firearms training on drill weekend.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
fuckin' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

fuckin' lol

Need that shirt.....for my child...

• Locked thread