Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Problem description: When turning off my computer, there are times that it will fail to progress past the 'spinning circle' part of the shutdown. It can get stuck like this for upwards of 6 hours and doesn't show any signs of progressing. If I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, the spinning circle just freezes in place and nothing shows up to allow me to cancel or restart or anything. The problem only occurs occasionally.

Attempted fixes: I enabled verbose startup/shutdown messages to see if there was some process it was getting stuck on. The verbose messages just reveal that it gets stuck on 'shutting down...' before even attempting to stop any services or processes at all it seems. I tried unplugging USB devices and my ethernet cable, which didn't work. I tried using powercfg /energy to see if there's some kind of process stopping shutdown, which wasn't helpful because the issue doesn't always manifest and I don't exactly know when it happens. Lastly I've tried looking at my eventlog to see if there's any sort of correlation between the failure to shutdown and error events, and all I found that stood out was a big line of 10010 DCOM errors during the apparent last time it was stuck in shutdown. I navigated into the registry and found it to be mostly the Thumbnail cache {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}, Thumbnail extraction host cache {4545DEA0-2DFC-4906-A728-6D986BA399A9}, and one instance of Shell32 creating some kind of local server for DLLs {995C996E-D918-4A8C-A302-45719A6F4EA7} (??)

Recent changes: The problem seems to have started last November when I got a Corsair mechanical keyboard, which has the funny effect of also making my computer take way longer to start up. Also around that period and probably more relevantly, I tried disabling some services (superfetch and windows search if I remember correctly) to try and get a game to run better with no real improvements. Those are re-enabled now, but I feel like the change also made metadata on files load way slower?

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs:
  • Z-87A motherboard
  • Intel i5 4670k processor
  • EVGA GTX 770 graphics card, 2GB
  • 16GB RAM DDR3, Corsair Vengeance
  • 2TB Seagate Hard Drive
  • 850 Watt Corsair RM850

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd start by checking the health of the HDD using Crystal Disk Info (get the ZIP version to avoid anime).

I'd also suggest making sure all your drivers are up to date, as a hang like that could be a device misbehaving.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd start by checking the health of the HDD using Crystal Disk Info (get the ZIP version to avoid anime).

I'd also suggest making sure all your drivers are up to date, as a hang like that could be a device misbehaving.

Thanks for the advice. Any particular reason for using Crystal Disk Info? I tried it out and it does say my drive is good. Usually I end up using Seatools and make a S.M.A.R.T. check through that, which from what I've found is what most people recommend doing when you want to check disk drive health.

And any advice on what drivers I should start looking at? I doubt it's my graphics drivers, pretty sure those have been updated a couple of times since I first started getting the problem.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 28, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Crystal is a pretty reliable and generalizable tool to check on drive health. For a Seagate drive Seatools is fine, but Crystal has the advantage of being brand-agnostic. I used Seatools to verify that a Seagate drive I had purchased was DOA, but if I remember correctly that was also a requirement to RMA the drive.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

As weird as it may seem, the driver to look for would be the keyboard driver. If you've already installed one, you could try using the generic driver instead.

It is probably worth reviewing the settings for superfetch too. Here's one source: https://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

nitsuga posted:

As weird as it may seem, the driver to look for would be the keyboard driver. If you've already installed one, you could try using the generic driver instead.

It is probably worth reviewing the settings for superfetch too. Here's one source: https://www.technipages.com/windows...able-superfetch

I'm not sure how I'd go about doing this, as my computer lists about 5 different keyboards under the device manager. I'm pretty sure several entries under the Human Interface Devices section also count as my keyboard.

My keyboard also has a switch on the back that changes some sensitivity stuff, as well as a setting for BIOS for compatability. I'd use it except then it just causes my numlock light to flash constantly.

Sounds like my best lead at the moment, though. My searches didn't reveal anything about the K70 LUX causing hangs on shutdown, but there certainly was a lot about longer startup. I'll try just flipping that switch when I get ready to shut the computer down from now on. Thanks!

I looked over my superfetch settings and I'm pretty sure the settings are back to default? The registry entry matches 'fully on' but it doesn't exactly go over the details of how the service should start up or when.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hmm, do you have Corsair's software loaded? There's only one entry I found under Corsair's download page.

If you don't, I'd try running that.

If you have installed that program, I could be wrong, but it does make sense that there could be a few different drivers it loads. What you could try then is uninstalling the program and/or uninstalling the devices in Device Manager.

Has switching its mode to BIOS worked? I guess, we could call that the good enough fix, and stop you from the witch hunt. :-)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I did at one point, but I think all the software does actually is modify how the LEDs in this keyboard work (I believe that's what it says on Corsair's site as well). The suite also does include a button to update the firmware in the keyboard, which currently says it's up to date.

I actually don't know if that really is the culprit though, since even after unplugging the keyboard from last time this manifested, it didn't seem to help the system shut down at all.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

OK that wasn't the solution at all, the issue showed up again after I waited for disc activity to stop and switched my keyboard to comparability mode before shutting down. drat, that's probably the fastest it's shown up again in a while.

Only other common thing I can think of now, now that I've paid some attention to what I do, is that maybe it's occurring after when I call up the Nvidia experience overlay in games? It's a long shot and I haven't seen anyone else online say anything about GeForce experience causing such issues.

A couple more of these seemed to show up around the time I shut my computer down:

quote:

The server {4545DEA0-2DFC-4906-A728-6D986BA399A9} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 29, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are your Nvidia drivers up to date? 2016 was the worst year in my memory for the quality of Nvidia drivers, so that isn't a bad place to check.

When you updated last did you run DDU and remove all the old driver files before doing a fresh installation? If not, that might be worth a shot. I've personally avoided using GeForce Experience for so long that I continue to avoid it out of habit, so can't really speak to it as a possible culprit.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I just updated my drivers a couple of days ago. I didn't use DDU though since I've never really had any issues with driver updates like I did with AMD cards. That and getting my computer to run in safe mode is a pain. I'll try this out.

I only use GeForce Experience since it seems like the best option available if I want to record footage ingame. Up until then I used FRAPS, but that causes a lot more stuttering and slowdown than Experience's does. That, and also the ability to retroactively capture footage is great.

Sort of don't want to disable that honestly. Further into actually taking time to read the articles I found related to my issue, I decided to try turning off disk-write caching and preventing media sharing from letting my computer enter sleep.

EDIT: Ok ew, I think turning off write-caching made my system run like crap. My Trend Micro's almost always scanning, so I think having that setting off is going to make everything slow as poo poo while it's attempting to do stuff.

Alrighty, clean-installed my NVidia Drivers. Also discovered that Windows Update displays driver updates under its optional section, which I didn't know until now. Took it a step further and got Driver Booster, which I think I might regret downloading. Anyways, Windows Update grabbed some updates for 'INTEL system driver', my XBox 360 controller, and a Realtek media driver (sound driver?). The Iobit program grabbed some updates for my LAN driver, Intel SATA drivers, And 2 Intel USB hub updates. Those last two I have a good feeling about at least.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 30, 2017

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Run Malware Bytes Anti-Malware on your system as soon as you can. Driver Booster is scam city.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I had a feeling after it installed an 'optimization' program alongside it that I didn't want. One article I found recommended using it to update drivers and the reviews on it ranged from mediocre to good, so yeah I'll probably go through with that plan. Hopefully it went through the trouble of actually updating the things it said it did.

E: Driver Booster eliminated, scanned both before and after uninstalling the program. Funnily enough it was identified only as a "Potentially Unwanted Program" which is a little vague, but better safe than sorry. Considering that it apparently will pop up automatically whenever it has an update.

E2: Ok weird? The scan actually was turning up a completely different program called UniBlue DriverScanner which I think I installed (and then uninstalled) and used ages ago, and DriverBooster didn't show up at all. In any case I ended up uninstalling DriverBooster anyways and can't find any traces of it.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 31, 2017

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

So after a month of no incident and a new graphics card installation in between (with completely fresh GPU drivers) the problem returned twice, both times shortly after my ISP had restored service after network outages.

I also noticed that both my computer's hard disk and my external hard drive were showing unusually high activity while shutting down and lighting up. While I found a lot of stuff online pointing to that being a potential culprit, I'm pretty sure I only began backing up my files on EHD after the issue began manifesting. Also unplugging the EHD didn't help it shut down at all.

Both times this week the issue manifested the shutdown following the day AT&T restored connection to my computer, which points to it being some network issue maybe. I have even less of an idea how I'd go about fixing that, and unplugging my computer from the router also didn't seem to solve the issue last time it manifested. Once my computer is committed to a lovely infinite-hour shutdown, it's committed.

My event viewer is still showing these lines of DCOM errors that perfectly coincide with my shutdown issue. I noticed this both times the issue manifested this week.

Should I be concerned about this? What does this mean? What is DCOM anyways and what is it used for? I tried entering the Component Services manager which is apparently supposed to clean up broken DCOM processes automatically when it starts up, but nothing pops up.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 12, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seems like a very annoying/intermittent issue. If I was in your situation I'd do a fresh install of Windows 10.

If the problems still appeared then we could be sure it was a hardware issue.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Zogo posted:

Seems like a very annoying/intermittent issue. If I was in your situation I'd do a fresh install of Windows 10.

if he thinks its a hardware issue with his on board networking card i could do the opposite. head on down to walmart and pick up a dirt cheap pci network card and see if it helps. fresh installs are way more of a pain in the rear end than that.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Zogo posted:

I'm probably going to do something like that after I get a second SSD to pair with my HDD. There's some software/games I run that don't seem to like Windows 10 for some reason, which is mainly the reason why I haven't stuck with the upgrade when I first went through with it.

I'd still try to figure out what the symptoms I'm seeing actually mean, since a full reformat is such an excessive solution to what I think anyone else would just live with. Last time I had an issue people told me to reformat to fix (games just randomly freezing), it turned out my solution was just not running EVGA precision at the same time I was playing games. I mean yeah reformatting would've fixed that problem since I wouldn't have that software anymore.

Regardless of what I think about reformatting, once I plug in an SSD and install a new windows on that, I can hopefully leave that issue behind me while still possibly(?) having access to my previous installation on the old HDD's files. Depends on how I'm supposed to install secondary drives, still not clear on all the details of setting up multi-drive computers.

Denim Dude posted:

if he thinks its a hardware issue with his on board networking card i could do the opposite. head on down to walmart and pick up a dirt cheap pci network card and see if it helps. fresh installs are way more of a pain in the rear end than that.

As much as I agree about fresh installs, I'm pretty sure this isn't a hardware issue, otherwise I'd probably be having a lot more consistent problems with my internet, regardless of what crap my ISP's throwing up. Worse comes to worse, though, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 18, 2017

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Bluhman posted:

I'm probably going to do something like that after I get a second SSD to pair with my HDD. There's some software/games I run that don't seem to like Windows 10 for some reason, which is mainly the reason why I haven't stuck with the upgrade when I first went through with it.

I'd still try to figure out what the symptoms I'm seeing actually mean, since a full reformat is such an excessive solution to what I think anyone else would just live with. Last time I had an issue people told me to reformat to fix (games just randomly freezing), it turned out my solution was just not running EVGA precision at the same time I was playing games. I mean yeah reformatting would've fixed that problem since I wouldn't have that software anymore.

Regardless of what I think about reformatting, once I plug in an SSD and install a new windows on that, I can hopefully leave that issue behind me while still possibly(?) having access to my previous installation on the old HDD's files. Depends on how I'm supposed to install secondary drives, still not clear on all the details of setting up multi-drive computers.

As much as I agree about fresh installs, I'm pretty sure this isn't a hardware issue, otherwise I'd probably be having a lot more consistent problems with my internet, regardless of what crap my ISP's throwing up. Worse comes to worse, though, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I misread what you wrote. for some reason I thought you said you suspected it was a hardware issue. Bleeping computer has a handy network fixer that I have had some success with when fixing weird networking issues on friends and family's computers. I don't know how useful it will be in your situation.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/

This program has also come in handy more than once for me

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Also I'm not sure if you know about windows reliability monitor but it basically takes info from event manager and makes it easier to parse. Pretty sure it is built in to windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I suspected it was due to plugging in a mechanical keyboard I installed back in November (it's the only thing I've found that coincides with the issue showing up, no software or anything else.) I'd try and rule that out as my culprit but it's actually a really good keyboard and I don't have any alternative keyboards on hand. Also, absolutely nothing else I looked up online pointed to the Corsair K70 causing issues on shutdown. That's likely the extent to what I'd consider it a hardware issue. There were other changes after that like getting more RAM, but to my understanding that's only made my computer run better.

Thanks for those programs, I'll make sure to try them out. I remember seeing the windows reliability monitor really early on when I began using this computer, but all it really seemed to show was incidents where a program crash or something occurred and displayed that as a dip in a line graph. Taking a look at it again is certainly showing the times where I had to force-shut-down the system, but not really anything else behind why that happened.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 18, 2017

• Locked thread