Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
There is a company I have worked for in the past that I would very much like to get a year-round position at. The problem I'm facing is that their year-round staff is quite small. They hire about 60-70 folks for the summer, but only 10 people work there permanently. Turnover among the permanent staff is practically non-existent. They made an addition earlier this year, but the last hire before that was in 2003. I would appreciate some advice on the best way to ask for a job.

I know that they could benefit from more staff. Offering outdoor ed classes to groups during the spring and fall has become a sizable chunk of their business. I helped with this a couple years ago, but my understanding is that recently they have had some issues finding people willing to do it. On top of that, it's pretty clear that the permanent staff are each doing the work of two people, especially during the summer. The issue here (for me, at least) is that paying a seasonal employee $30 a day plus room and board is a hell of a lot cheaper for any outdoor company than taking on a full-time employee. As a result, I'm trying to make myself look more valuable than a seasonal employee who can be ready to teach all of their classes in a week.

My current plan is to put together a booklet incorporating a number of different proposals for their program. It's an outdoor ed center, so I was thinking curricula for new courses, detailed plans for special activities, new facilities that could benefit their mission, ideas for revamping lagging programs, etc. Basically the equivalent of an artist's portfolio, except centered around this specific company. Ideally, I would like it to show my commitment to the organization and how I hope to improve it.

My concern with doing this is whether it will have the effect I'm hoping for. If I miss the mark, or my ideas don't jive with what they're looking for, will it hurt my chances? Does this whole thing come off as excessive? Is there perhaps a better way to go about it?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Just do it. And be prepared for the variety of responses:
1 Yes, this is great! (are you prepared to negotiate pay?)
2 This is terrible (are you prepared to spend ALL THIS TIME for potentially nothing?)
3 Uhhhhh (nobody understands what you're talking about. your words are too big)
4 This is nice but we don't care/can't afford it (nobody sees the value in what you're showing off)
5 This is nice but not my call (the only people you get face time with also don't have any power to implement the budget to hire you)

good luck
have fun
don't die

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
My only advice is to try and make a financial pitch in addition to all the stuff you listed - why you would be more financially valuable than the current setup. Good luck, goonspeed and all that

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

marchantia posted:

My only advice is to try and make a financial pitch in addition to all the stuff you listed - why you would be more financially valuable than the current setup. Good luck, goonspeed and all that

I'd like to make that part of my pitch, I'm just not sure how to do it without sounding ridiculous. I can only think of vague goals like "over time, more variety could attract bigger school groups" or "we can sell ourselves instead of being passive." Nothing that I feel I can attach a dollar amount to.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 30, 2017

• Locked thread