Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

my counterpoint is that there's like only 6 regulars or whatever here so we dont need new threads super frequently but also jesus christ ninth 33 pages? we just need a summary of the boxing scene, not a loving treatise on the entire history of the sport and your personal pound for pound top 1000 coupled with several argumentative essays explaining the success or failure of different boxing business models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

my counterpoint is that there's like only 6 regulars or whatever here so we dont need new threads super frequently but also jesus christ ninth 33 pages? we just need a summary of the boxing scene, not a loving treatise on the entire history of the sport and your personal pound for pound top 1000 coupled with several argumentative essays explaining the success or failure of different boxing business models

I would just post Mike Coppinger and Dan Rafaels best twitter beefs

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Uh dont listen to them your google doc sounds amazing and I will return to your OP multiple times over the next three years the 2019 thread is up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TBH I've been thinking about self-publishing a boxing book for beer money and I probably have enough content already written to fill out half of one.

Look I'm sorry everyone, I'm basically like the Adrien Broner of writing these threads (brief flashes of brilliance, long periods of inactivity, lots of excuses, extremely overrated). I won't make any promises but I'm *extremely confident* that PSP will see the new thread's shadow on groundhog day tomorrow, ushering in an early spring for our combat sports community.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
While we are meta posting I will do what I do best and post Mike Coppinger's twitter to let ya'll know that apparently the Anthony Joshua-Big Baby Miller fight is official for either June 1 or 8 ar MSG for AJ's US debut.

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1091436770317615104?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So they just scrapped the April fight?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So they just scrapped the April fight?

Apparently. Last I heard Hearn was trying to replace it with a card headlined by Dillian Whyte or Kell Brook but it seems more likely they will just pay Wembley whatever to scrap the date entirely.

Edit: I mean it's obviously more of a test run for AJ's American marketability than a competitive fight but at least it will be Da Zone-a service I already have-and UK ppvs are cheap so the Brits are fine. Big Baby will talk enough poo poo in the promotion to make it interesting and I could see him really pissing Joshua off so he really goes after Miller.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 2, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

TBH I've been thinking about self-publishing a boxing book for beer money.

I'd buy it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://twitter.com/jarkin770/status/1091736331426897920?s=21

If anyone is desperate for hobo boxing tonight. I'll cop to getting the first event with fite credit and eh I didn't realize it was just boxing vs MMA.

I'm pretty sure there is boxing on ESPN and probably a better choice, but I had no clue where else to stick this tweet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah Alvarez-Kovalev II is tonight, which also features a decent fight for Richard Commey as well as showcase fights for Oscar Valdez and Teofimo Lopez, AKA the dude who does Fortnite dances over his opponents after knocking them out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah Alvarez-Kovalev II is tonight, which also features a decent fight for Richard Commey as well as showcase fights for Oscar Valdez and Teofimo Lopez, AKA the dude who does Fortnite dances over his opponents after knocking them out.

Cool I might check that out too depending on how UFC Fight Night goes (or catch a replay), but yeah that sounds significantly better then Bare Knuckle fighting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MazelTovCocktail posted:

http://twitter.com/jarkin770/status/1091736331426897920?s=21

If anyone is desperate for hobo boxing tonight. I'll cop to getting the first event with fite credit and eh I didn't realize it was just boxing vs MMA.

I'm pretty sure there is boxing on ESPN and probably a better choice, but I had no clue where else to stick this tweet.

Is this the one that Bas was associated with that had cashflow issues?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's funny that, when I saw "bareknuckle" my first thought was "savage stunt for people who just want to see blood" and it took a moment for the followup thought of "well now, isn't there an argument that the lack of padding actually makes it safer by reducing repeat concussions?"
Still, no one with prospects would do this if obly because of the increased chance of hand injuries, no?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

Is this the one that Bas was associated with that had cashflow issues?

It's the one that first ran last year in Wyoming, but I don't recall hearing Bas mentioned. I'm not sure though.

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's funny that, when I saw "bareknuckle" my first thought was "savage stunt for people who just want to see blood" and it took a moment for the followup thought of "well now, isn't there an argument that the lack of padding actually makes it safer by reducing repeat concussions?"
Still, no one with prospects would do this if obly because of the increased chance of hand injuries, no?

It's funny I've heard that thought process too. I only refer to it as hobo boxing as a lot of the dudes are in terrible shape. I'm also surprised it's only boxing vs MMA.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Bring back the BKB pit I say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlSMtxxn_a8

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's like someone saw YAMMA and said let's do that with boxing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It's the one that first ran last year in Wyoming, but I don't recall hearing Bas mentioned. I'm not sure though.

Apparently Bas' is WBKFF, and this is the BKFC.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the modern martial artist did a breakdown on pacquiao and showed me quite a few aspect of his game that i hadn't thought about before. he's a piece of poo poo and i don't care about him at all outside of the ring, but in the ring he was a true monster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXCJxnQ46UQ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

my first thought on seeing that ring was "what if slamball but its boxing"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

Apparently Bas' is WBKFF, and this is the BKFC.

Okay that makes sense I remember seeing some other BK group pop up on Fite TV some time after the first once.

Also made a GDT thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881240&perpage=40

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
How did kovalev look? I feel like even though he is old, shorter turn arounds between fights are better for him because he doesnt have as much time to get out of shape

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

david carmichael posted:

How did kovalev look? I feel like even though he is old, shorter turn arounds between fights are better for him because he doesnt have as much time to get out of shape

It was probably his best performance since the Bernard Hopkins fight when he showed great skill but most importantly tremendous patience. He also took some shots which were probably as hard the ones that Alvarez got him with the first time which is another good sign for him. I'd agree with you about him being more active in helping to prevent him from gassing and if he can maintain the jab first style then he could easily be at the top the division again. I'd make him a sizable favorite over any of the other belt holders if he won and a win like that makes it more so.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

day 3 of anarchy, king ninth has left the thread via helicopter

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Haven't seen the fight yet, but good for Kovalev. I thought he was basically washed, especially when it came to going a full 12 and winning. I still don't think he has muh of a shot against the other 175 beltholders, but he just bought himself another big fight or two.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I hate to be this guy, but Alvarez was an underdog against Kovalev in the first fight, and the only reason this win looks great for Kovalev is because the first fight went unexpectedly. That said, this does actually look like a return to form for Kovalev, so I was probably too quick to say he's finished. I doubt he could beat guys like a Bivol and I bet even a Barrera type fighter could give him trouble at this point in his career, but he's not done yet obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Better late than never? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881320